The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How to Remove Oil Pan on 1955 Plymouth
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Engine, Exhaust, Fuel and IgnitionMessage format

samstrader
Posted 2020-10-25 5:56 PM (#604921)
Subject: How to Remove Oil Pan on 1955 Plymouth

Extreme Veteran

I don't know if this will be interesting or not but I have a 1955 Plymouth Savoy with a 259 V8 engine. It does not have power steering and it has a 3 speed manual transmission without overdrive.

I think I have a rod knocking and I need to change the rear main seal so I pulled the oil pan with the engine in the car.

If you drop down the exhaust manifold and un-bolt both ends of the steering linkage center link, the steering linkage will drop down and you will have plenty of room to pull the oil pan. My oil pan was stuck on pretty good so I used a brake adjusting tool to pry the pan loose by using the shelf that is right under the oil filter as a base for the pry bar.

I've attached two pictures. Just hope this might help someone.

Sam

(Engine1.jpg)

(Wrench.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Engine1.jpg (242KB - 158 downloads)
Attachments Wrench.jpg (179KB - 156 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
56D500boy
Posted 2020-10-25 8:22 PM (#604925 - in reply to #604921)
Subject: RE: How to Remove Oil Pan on 1955 Plymouth

Expert 5K+

And this was with an oil pan sump at the front of the engine? I thought that there was more to it than dropping the steering linkage, etc. I thought that the engine had to be raised up a few inches. (??). The exhaust is probably not an issue if you have dual exhausts and, therefore, no cross-over from the left bank to the right bank, under the engine.

Anyway, keep us informed because one of the things that I need to do at some point is the rear main seal on my engine.

(Remember that your 55 Plymouth engine is really a 55 Dodge engine, so related to my 56 Dodge engine)

Edited by 56D500boy 2020-10-25 8:24 PM
samstrader
Posted 2020-10-28 7:15 PM (#605002 - in reply to #604921)
Subject: Re: How to Remove Oil Pan on 1955 Plymouth

Extreme Veteran

Yes, the oil pan sump is at the front of the engine. The steering linkage is sort of to the rear of the oil pan sump. If you don't drop the steering linkage, you don't have enough clearance to get the oil pan completely off and out of the way.

If there is no crossover exhaust pipe, that would make this job a lot easier because it is harder to disconnect the exhaust than it is to drop the steering linkage. It only takes a few minutes to drop the steering linkage. It's pretty easy and the bolts are not hard to get to. I used a ball joint separator to get the linkage off of the steering gear box arm. It just took a couple of taps and came right off. The two screws on the bracket that is attached to the frame on the passenger side were easy to unbolt too. I sprayed a little PB Blaster inside the frame member to get some on the back of the two bolts. They came off easy and clean.

Did not have to lift the engine at all. I also had to remove the cover from under the fly wheel. I forgot to mention this but it comes off easy. You have to take this cover off to be able to get to the oil pan bolts. The starter is sort of in the way of some of the oil pan bolts but if you use a socket extension, you can get all of the bolts off without removing the starter.

Good luck on your rear main seal repair. I have replaced mine two times and still leaks but this time I'm going to study what is wrong more and use some RTV to help seal the seal ends and the mating surfaces of the rear main bearing cap. I'll let you know if I find any other tricks.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)