The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1961 Dart taillights
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Electrical, Battery and ChargingMessage format

phish1270
Posted 2020-06-22 11:53 AM (#600007)
Subject: 1961 Dart taillights

In case anyone has thought about it or maybe others have already done it but I wired the "add-on" taillights on my '61 Dart to be taillights, turn signals & brake lights yesterday. I have no idea why the factory didn't do that when they realized the stock ones were too small to be seen well. In today's world with everyone on cell phones & no third eye brake light on these cars I figured it would help me be seen from behind. My friend told me he could barely see my brake lights on a sunny day when he followed me home after picking up the car. I used a smaller 1157 outlet that fit in the taillight housing without having to modify it, shorter 1157 LEDs & tapped into the existing wiring, similar to how the factory did it. I did leave a stock style incandescent 1157 in the lower housing, it was the only way everything worked properly. It didn't like all 4 bulbs being LEDs for some reason, I'm assuming it has something to do with the LEDs not providing enough of a load electrically. They really make a difference although not one that would show up in pictures so I didn't bother taking any. In my opinion the higher up "add-ons" are more visible anyway & look way cooler. This was a relatively cheap upgrade but adds extra safety. If anyone sees any reason that this was a bad idea, please let me know.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
imopar380
Posted 2020-06-28 11:03 AM (#600257 - in reply to #600007)
Subject: Re: 1961 Dart taillights

Expert 5K+

Instead of using the 1157 bulbs in the lower taillights, switch to 2357 bulbs, which are a direct replacement incandescent bulb, and they have a brighter brake filament, 503 lumens vs 402 lumens.
phish1270
Posted 2020-06-30 12:41 PM (#600345 - in reply to #600257)
Subject: Re: 1961 Dart taillights

I will give it a try, thanks for the advice!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)