The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

57 Coronet Restoration
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> Members RidesMessage format

Corsair
Posted 2020-06-22 12:32 AM (#599994)
Subject: 57 Coronet Restoration

I will try to keep this brief. (Will inevitably fail)

I figure it best to create a separate thread for my own ride instead of clogging up the other threads with all of my dumb questions.

So, I have since taken it upon myself to fully restore my coronet that I found in a barn a little over a year ago. I had intended to restore it with my father who was an old mopar fanatic. (He at one time had the fastest car in town ['68 Road Runner with a 440 6-pack], so he claimed) Unfortunately, he passed away unexpectedly two months ago. At the time, we were a month into the restoration and the car was completely in pieces at the time. I have since continued making progress on the car regardless.

Anyway, long story short. Here are the first of my many questions.

So where can I get some dual radio antennas? I think they would make the car look better (to me). I am completely fine with them being repros, give me some sources, would you kindly?

Brakes. I want to convert to discs on all 4 corners, seems like most everyone agrees that this is the mod to do if your going to do any mods to your ride (any of you guys that own multiple cars ever tested how much better discs are over the drums?). Also, have no experience working on drums anyway. I also figure parts for disc brakes will be more available than for the OE drums. I know AAJ sells kits for front and back. I want to keep the car stock other than the brakes and continue running the stock 14" wheels. Don't want to make any modifications to the suspension or the rear axle. That being said, is AAJ the best option to go with? I want the best possible braking, I am willing to invest the money to get the best possible brakes within my criteria. I live within easy driving distance of Summit Racing if I could get my brake parts there, possibly? Also, being that I am converting to all discs. I assume I will need to install a power booster to actually be able to move all that brake fluid. What boosters and corresponding master cylinder/booster kits are out there that would bolt in without firewall modifications and letting me continue to use the OE brake pedal and linkage? Possibly a system from a newer mopar? Or can I work all 4 discs without power booster assist, I do have a lead foot. Let me know all your wisdom and send post some sources for all this stuff.

I thank you all in advance for helping me with this, I figured this was going to be challenge before, now life has decided to make it even more challenging for me... And I am up to the challenge

Top of the page Bottom of the page
mikes2nd
Posted 2020-06-22 2:52 AM (#599996 - in reply to #599994)
Subject: Re: 57 Coronet Restoration

Expert 5K+

which summit racing? PM me...

I went with scarebird and a 8.8 ford posi rear end Sorry to hear about your Dad, I think he obviously liked working on old mopars.. I'm kinda hooked also

There is plenty of info on which parts to buy, the large master is needed to move the front brake caliper fluid(1 1/8 min). Search on this.

You wont find alot at summit for our cars
57burb
Posted 2020-06-22 10:53 AM (#600000 - in reply to #599994)
Subject: RE: 57 Coronet Restoration

Expert

Welcome to the Forward Look. I'm terribly sorry to hear of your dad's passing, my condolences to you and your family.

Brakes on these cars is never a really simple thing. The easy part is deciding that you want better brakes than the car came with. The hard part is deciding what parts to use and getting them dialed in properly. You would think by now there would be a 1-800 number to call and a disc brake system kit delivered that solves all the problems, but there just isn't.

There are several problems you (may) encounter, which depend primarily on your level of commitment to "upgrade" versus "restore." You will need to answer these questions to arrive at a brake system that works for you:

- does the car currently have functional brakes?
- are you keeping the stock 14" wheels?
- are you keeping the stock transmission? (the factory e-brake is on the transmission)
- are you keeping the stock rear axle?
- is the car already equipped with power brakes, or manual?

You did say "I want to keep the car stock other than the brakes and continue running the stock 14" wheels" so I think that answers some of the questions. If that's the case, then I would suggest rebuilding the rear drum brakes and converting the front to discs. FL user "mobileparts" will get you connected to any and all top quality factory brake parts you choose to retain.

AAJ and Scarebird have front-only options, and I believe SSBC actually has a four wheel disc "kit" but requires larger wheels. Jim Rawa has detailed his conversion using Volare/Aspen spindles and steering parts here.

Power brake conversions get hairy because the pedal ratio needs to change.

Master cylinder piston diameter will be determined by whatever brakes you end up putting on the car.

Then there are a million nuance things, like how to wire up the brake light switch, residual valve for drum brakes, dialing in the master cylinder pushrod length, etc.

I think I just answered all your questions with more questions. But do your research, carefully decide what you expect this brake system to do, and then choose the parts. We have a forum just for discussion of "Brakes, Wheels, and Tires"

As for antennas, I think mikes2nd is casting bases again, and there may be some Swedes making them. You will learn that there is almost no one making parts for these cars, so sometimes you have to adapt. There is a guy building a '57 Chrysler that is going to use reproduction antennas for a '61-62 Impala on it. They're not the same at all, but give you the same basic look and they're pretty cheap because Chevy people need a catalog to restore their cars.

Edited by 57burb 2020-06-22 10:57 AM
jboymechanic
Posted 2020-06-23 12:05 AM (#600035 - in reply to #599994)

Expert

AAJ has front and rear disc brake kits that will clear 14" wheels, you should call them. I have a 4 wheel disc setup on my 1960 Plymouth, no power assist, and that car stops smooth and easy (with no pulling in any direction). I don't have a parking brake, but I have stick shift so I just put it in gear. I updated to a modern, dual reservoir master cylinder and had to grind down my original pushrod from the pedal to give the proper pedal placement. I have a thread with the details on the forum here somewhere...
jboymechanic
Posted 2020-06-23 12:09 AM (#600037 - in reply to #599994)

Expert

He's info about my setup:

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=68713&...
mikes2nd
Posted 2020-06-23 3:06 AM (#600039 - in reply to #599994)

Expert 5K+

scarebirds now clear 14 inch also. new kit
jboymechanic
Posted 2020-06-23 10:47 AM (#600046 - in reply to #599994)

Expert

I have a front scarebird disc kit on my '56 Imperial, a quality kit. However, they did not clear my factory 15" wire wheels whereas the AAJ kit did. I replaced the AAJ kit so I would have all the same hardware around my imperial (front disc and rear drums are all 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram half ton, AAJ used early F100 front discs so hub opening were different).
AceS
Posted 2020-06-23 11:10 AM (#600049 - in reply to #600000)

Veteran

57burb - 2020-06-21 7:53 PM

AAJ and Scarebird have front-only options, and I believe SSBC actually has a four wheel disc "kit" but requires larger wheels. Jim Rawa has detailed his conversion using Volare/Aspen spindles and steering parts here.

Also in the middle of a 57 Coronet build and pondering brakes. This link does not work for me but would love to read it as I have an entire F body suspension lying around. Thanks.
57burb
Posted 2020-06-23 11:16 AM (#600050 - in reply to #600049)

Expert

I thought the post was public. I'm not sure how to get the info to you any other way. It has photos, part numbers, and how to install all of it on a FL car that I'm not going to try to retype here. Maybe you need to send James Rawa a friend request?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)