The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Stock steel wheel information needed
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Brakes, Wheels and TiresMessage format

wheelcover
Posted 2020-06-07 7:06 PM (#599386)
Subject: Stock steel wheel information needed

Veteran

Is there someone who is much more knowledgeable than I am about the different styles of 14” steel wheels available on Forward Look cars?

It seems like the 14” wheels vary in width from 4.5” to 6.5” and there are at least two different wheel ‘centers’ (with and without stampings to accept a dog dish hubcap) and at least two different wheel ‘outer’ styles (with and without ‘nubs’ to accept a special style of full wheelcover). I’ve also recently seen where the wheel center can be oriented/clocked differently in relation to the valve stem hole.

I’m looking for assembly line correct wheels for a 1957 Plymouth Fury and want to be able to tell when I’ve found the correct ones. I know they’re 14x6” and I’m pretty sure they have the center with stamping to accept a dog dish style hubcap - beyond that, I don’t know what else to look for.

Please help a fellow Forward Look enthusiast.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
RICKYMOPAR
Posted 2020-06-24 11:36 PM (#600098 - in reply to #599386)
Subject: Re: Stock steel wheel information needed

Veteran

Jeffery, There are all kinds of mix and match on wheels of the 50's and early 60's. I even have wheels for my 67 that still sport the alignment pin hole from lug bolt days.
My 47 Dodge pick up hubcap fits on my spare 300G wheel.

Edited by RICKYMOPAR 2020-06-24 11:43 PM
wheelcover
Posted 2020-06-28 11:19 AM (#600259 - in reply to #600098)

Veteran

Thanks for the reply. What it seems like is that there is no way to know what the ‘correct’ wheels are for my 57 Fury?

On the wheels I’ve found that seem to be earlier wheels (57-59?), the alignment pin hole with the ‘key way’ cut into it is in line with the valve stem hole (some later ones have a bolt/stud hole in line with the valve stem hole - from the 1960s?). The alignment pin hole often has the ‘key way’ pointing toward the center of the wheel (6 o’clock). Sometimes that ‘key way’ points left (9 o’clock). Any thoughts on this?

Are there date codes on these wheels?

I’ve got an extremely original survivor car and I’m just trying to fix the few things I know aren’t correct - trying to do justice to this car and don’t want to guess on originality for anything. I know there are some super high end FL restorations out there - do those cars have just any old 14” wheels on them that happen to fit?
RICKYMOPAR
Posted 2020-07-13 9:24 PM (#600832 - in reply to #599386)

Veteran

The14 inch 67 Plymouth wheels have the key hole you mention above and have part numbers and date codes on the outer rim. Rick

Edited by RICKYMOPAR 2020-07-13 9:27 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)