The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Looking for a photo of a brake drum separate from the hub
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Brakes, Wheels and TiresMessage format

56D500boy
Posted 2020-01-11 2:47 PM (#592794)
Subject: Looking for a photo of a brake drum separate from the hub

Expert 5K+

I going to be trying to clear up some misconceptions about the 1956 Dodge D500 brakes. This will involve chasing some Chrysler and Imperial part numbers and comparing them to D500 numbers. What I seem to have found so far is the 56 D500, Chrysler and Imperials might have used the same brake drum *BUT* the hubs were different. I presume that his refers to the 4.5" vs 5.5" bolt circles. (??). I just went out to my little (and currently empty garage) to check the right front drum (that I removed and replaced early on after I got the car) for signs that the brake drum and hub were two different parts.

As you can see from the attached annotated photos, I think that the brake drum assembly is at least five parts:

1. The cast iron brake drum on the extreme outside that must have had slots machined into it to accept the middle bit
2. Middle bit that what probably stamped and which had tabs that were designed to go through the machined slots in the brake drum and be peened to the drum
3. A machined center hub that is held to the middle bit by the pressed in wheel studs (which end up working like rivets)
4. The wheel studs (LH and RH threads, as appropriate to the side of the car)
5. The anti-vibration/ringing spring

(I am not counting the additional inner and outer bearing bits).

What I am hoping for is somebody who can post (or email me) photos of any/all of the first 3 components, separated from the other components. (???) (Please)

(56DodgeD500FrontBrakeDrumAndHub.jpg)

(56DodgeD500FrontBrakeDrumAndHub_InnerSide.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 56DodgeD500FrontBrakeDrumAndHub.jpg (246KB - 211 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeD500FrontBrakeDrumAndHub_InnerSide.jpg (216KB - 210 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)