The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Powerflite 54-57
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Transmission and Rear AxleMessage format

kranbil
Posted 2019-11-15 1:11 AM (#590151)
Subject: Powerflite 54-57

New User

Im looking into using a 325 from 57' Desoto in my 54' Chrysler wagon while the 331 is out for a major upgrade. Its a 331 long-bell and powerflite in the wagon and I want to keep the powerflite for now to avoid additional work with hand brake, rear end ++.

Was there any major difference between the powerflight trans these years? I've found a trans adapter and bellhousing that should work between the 57' 325 and 54' tranny, I assume the converter that came of the 331 will not work with the 325? If I found one for 325 engine, it will match the 54' trans? Any input is appreciated :-)

I know I can get adapters for the 325 to newer GM trans or 727, but thats not what Im after now. Just want to get the car back on the road without too many mods.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Powerflite
Posted 2019-11-15 7:51 PM (#590177 - in reply to #590151)
Subject: Re: Powerflite 54-57

Expert 5K+

A '54 Chrysler should have a standard 331 motor without the extended bell, but with a wet intake, right? Does it have an earlier motor & trans swapped into it? Generally, if you keep the adapter with its original bell housing, you should be able to swap it around to any of the hemi/poly motors. But I don't know enough about variations between earlier transmissions to say what each of them require. Give it a try and see how it matches up. You should have around 1/4 to 3/8" play between the fully seated torque converter and the crank with the right thickness adapter. The old converter will work fine with the newer motor. You want to keep converter & trans together, but the motors can swap around. Make sure that the bell housing is made for the air cooled converter that you are using. The air cooled bell housings have large vents built into it.

But, you will see a difference in motor mount width. You may need to make up some custom mounts or extend their mounting locations a little.

Edited by Powerflite 2019-11-15 7:52 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)