The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

door glass install
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

dougsoldcars
Posted 2019-09-22 5:20 PM (#587847)
Subject: door glass install

Regular

I need some help. I need to install a new passenger side window in my 56 Plymouth 2 door sedan. I got the old one out with some struggling. I'm concerned with how to install the new one without breaking anything. Especially helpful would be knowing where to position the regulator before trying to set the window channel into it. Also helpful would be how to install the winding assembly without breaking anything. All tips and tricks will be appreciated. Also does anyone know where to get the window channel sticky material that holds the window in and any idea what its called? Thanks in advance for your help!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
56D500boy
Posted 2019-09-22 6:04 PM (#587850 - in reply to #587847)
Subject: RE: door glass install

Expert 5K+

I think that I can help on this one, having complete the refurbishment of all four doors of my 56 Dodge 4 dr Custom Royal.

We can start with terminology based on this factory parts catalogue diagram:

First thing is the window itself is the LAST thing you remove from the door (well it could be 2nd last if you removed the Regulator - but there is very little need for that). SO, when reassembling, (assuming that the regulator never came out of the door), the window is the FIRST thing that you install in the door. (Now how did I ever learn that ?? LOL).

The window is held to the regulator by a spring clip on the end of the regulator arm. The end of the arm has a "mushroom"-like wide-head pin that slips through the circular opening at the end of the slotted track at the bottom of the window frame. The spring clip helps to keep the mushroom from slipping out. To remove the window you need to squeeze the spring clip and slip the mushroom out of the circular end of the slot. Reinstallation is the reverse of that. The position of the regulator arm is not fixed for this process. Whatever, wherever you can get your other hand in there to deal with the clip while your other hand holds the top of the glass, ready to extract the window from the door through the slot at the top of the door.

The window slides in two types of channel or "run" based on the diagram.

1. A rigid channel that is attached to the vent window frame. (The vent window frame is attached to the door by a bolt near the bottom of the frame, a screw where the frame rests on the door and two or three screws around the vent part. Remove the vent window with the frame before attempting to remove the window.

2. The second type is flexible and will be easy to remove (but not so easy to install new channel). I am not sure how the original flexible channel was attached to the channel in the door. Mine were so rusty, I just pulled them out. Well except for the lower end of the vertical bit of the flexible channel. It sits in a removable channel that clips into the door at the top and is screwed to the door.

Once you have the channels and vent window out you can go at removing the window as per the above. Be careful with it. You don't want to break it.

Some of the related threads that you probably want to read for more information include:

Dealing with surface rust inside a door:

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=64336&...

Before/After:

Buying window channel:

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=65581&...

2 dr flexible channel will be longer than the 4dr channel:

Bending flexible window channel:

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=69411&...

Installation cat's whiskers:

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=65605&...

An annotated version of the diagram above:

Edited by 56D500boy 2019-09-22 6:16 PM

(WindowChannelDiagram_Annotated.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments WindowChannelDiagram_Annotated.jpg (248KB - 107 downloads)
71charger_fan
Posted 2019-09-22 6:17 PM (#587851 - in reply to #587847)

Elite Veteran

On my '55 it was pretty easy. Just 3 (if I recall correctly) screws to remove the vent window assembly. That gave plenty of wiggle room to get the door glass out and the new glass in.
http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=63722&...
56D500boy
Posted 2019-09-22 7:23 PM (#587853 - in reply to #587851)

Expert 5K+

71charger_fan - 2019-09-22 3:17 PM

On my '55 it was pretty easy. Just 3 (if I recall correctly) screws to remove the vent window assembly. That gave plenty of wiggle room to get the door glass out and the new glass in.

Terrance: Any issues with releasing the window from the twin regulator arms? (I forgot that the 2 dr sedans have those (at least 55-56))

71charger_fan
Posted 2019-09-22 8:19 PM (#587854 - in reply to #587847)
Subject: Re: door glass install

Elite Veteran

No, slide it one way to release one, then the other way to release the other.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)