The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Adding a pin to a Script Dodge Logo - a job for Muggy Weld??
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

56D500boy
Posted 2019-09-14 7:17 PM (#587525)
Subject: Adding a pin to a Script Dodge Logo - a job for Muggy Weld??

Expert 5K+

Previously I have attempted to fix a 55/56 Plymouth horn ring with Muggy Weld. It worked(ish) but the US Postal Service tested the weld and it was found wanting.

After my second (or third) try "not bad" :

After the USPS go through with it :

This thread: http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=69374&...

I recently found a very nice 55/56 Dodge Script Logo on eBay with very little if any pitting so I snapped it up. Not sure if I noticed one of the pins on the back was missing/broken. Regardless, the quality of the rest of the logo was good enough to ignore that issue and hope that I can fix it.

Seeing that I still have the Muggy Weld stuff, I am going to try to fix the broken pin. I see that the pin was hollow so there is a chance to use the hole to reinforce the addition of a new pin. (On the back of the "e" in Dodge):

Open to suggestions (as usual)

This is what I have to work with:

Edited by 56D500boy 2019-09-14 7:23 PM

(eBayDodgeScriptLogo_Front.jpg)

(eBayDodgeScriptLogo_Back.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments eBayDodgeScriptLogo_Front.jpg (210KB - 82 downloads)
Attachments eBayDodgeScriptLogo_Back.jpg (190KB - 91 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
56D500boy
Posted 2019-09-17 9:43 PM (#587678 - in reply to #587525)
Subject: RE: Adding a pin to a Script Dodge Logo - a job for Muggy Weld??

Expert 5K+

Not wanting to start a new project (converting a NOS "Model A" Jubilee horn into a 56 Dodge Jubilee horn), I decided to go back to the Dodge Script issue (broken stud/pin) to see if I could make some progress there.

That I did.

First thing was I checked the size of the stud against yhr 8-32 and 6-32 machine screws which I have on hand and decided that the closest size was the 6-32. Then I decided to see if I could drill out the machine screw so I could use a guide pin to hrlp connect/align the machine screw with the broken stud/pin on the script logo.

I put the 6-32 machine screw in a vise with the flat end up and I started drilling with a 3/64 drill bit. I was lucky enough to get the bit started close (enough) to the centre of the end of the machine screw. I went slow and was able to get in about 3/16" in without breaking the bit (almost a first). Then I switched to a 1/16" bit and went in a total of about 5/16". Went surprisingly well.

Then I used the same 1/16" bit and drilled into the broken stud using the existing hole in the stud as the starting point. Went in about 3/16 or so. Then I used my Dremel to create a flat square top for the machine screw to land on.

I couldn't find a small brad nail so I sacrificed the 1/16" bit and cut a guide pin about 3/8" long with my Dremel. Might need to be a bit longer.

I trialed the guide pin in the script logo stud and the 6-32 machine screw. Looks like it will work well enough.

If I didn't have the Muggy Weld, I think I would try epoxy or regular solder. However, I do have the Muggy Weld so that will be the next step. Maybe tomorrow.

Photos from this afternoon (took about 30 minutes total):

Edited by 56D500boy 2019-09-18 1:21 AM

(DrillingOutA6_32MachineScrew_showingGuidePin.jpg)

(DrillingOutA6_32MachineScrew_WithGuidePinInserted.jpg)

(DrillingOutTheBrokenPin.jpg)

(DrillingOutTheBrokenPin_AddingAGuidePin.jpg)

(InsertingDrilled6_32MachineScrewOverGuidePinInBrokenStud.jpg)

(InsertingDrilled6_32MachineScrewOverGuidePinInBrokenStud_FullInsertion.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DrillingOutA6_32MachineScrew_showingGuidePin.jpg (49KB - 80 downloads)
Attachments DrillingOutA6_32MachineScrew_WithGuidePinInserted.jpg (53KB - 97 downloads)
Attachments DrillingOutTheBrokenPin.jpg (64KB - 80 downloads)
Attachments DrillingOutTheBrokenPin_AddingAGuidePin.jpg (64KB - 85 downloads)
Attachments InsertingDrilled6_32MachineScrewOverGuidePinInBrokenStud.jpg (69KB - 90 downloads)
Attachments InsertingDrilled6_32MachineScrewOverGuidePinInBrokenStud_FullInsertion.jpg (72KB - 101 downloads)
mikes2nd
Posted 2019-09-18 2:06 AM (#587687 - in reply to #587525)
Subject: Re: Adding a pin to a Script Dodge Logo - a job for Muggy Weld??

Expert 5K+

good stuff, its hard to do real precise work with the mugglyweld. I kind of blast it on and it takes a ton of time taking it down slowly.

just rip the pins off fill up the back with muggyweld or some other filler, and 3m double sided tape it on

56D500boy
Posted 2019-09-18 9:45 PM (#587724 - in reply to #587678)
Subject: RE: Adding a pin to a Script Dodge Logo - a job for Muggy Weld??

Expert 5K+

Okay. Today was yesterday's tomorrow and while I was waiting for door sill paint to dry, I set up the Script Logo, the 6-32 machine screw and the internal pin made from a 1/16" drill bit.

I put the script in the vice (Black and Decker Workmate) and adjust the height so the 6-32 machine screw rested nice and square on an angle bracket that I had in the workshop. Then I put Muggy Weld flux on the joint and up the wazzoo where the sun don't shine. Then I fired up my wife's kitchen torch and heated the fluxed area until the flux was brown and bubbling. Then I applied the Muggy Weld rod. Went reasonable well (or so I thought).

As I was trimming off the excess "weld" (really a type of solder), I noticed that the heat had bubbled the chrome on the pot metal (WTH!!??) Oh my.

I used my Dremel for the initial trimming and then a metal file. I supported the joint well but even doing that, it broke at the joint. Oh my.

So after a few minutes of cursing, I got the machine screw and script back together for another try. This time I made sure that there was flux up the script pin's hole. Then I taped it back in place on the Workmate and tried again. This time I wasn't worried about being pretty. (In fact the result was ugg-a-lee).

When things cooled, I trimmed the excess off with the Dremel. I did not use the file this time. When I was happy(ish), I cut the 6-32 machine screw to about the same total length as the OE pins on the script logo.

I had thought that I would use a 6-32 die on the end result but I'm not confident that the "weld" will hold enough to withstand the torque of the die as it is turned down over the 6-32 threads and then into the Muggy Weld.

A bit depressing to be honest. I bought the script because the chrome was nice, no pits. Now it has some bubbles.

Oh my.

Photos:

(SettingUPToUseTheMuggyWeld_1.jpg)

(SettingUPToUseTheMuggyWeld_2.jpg)

(AfterTheFirstGoWithMuggyWeld.jpg)

(AfterTheSecondGoWithMuggyWeld.jpg)

(AfterTheSecondGoWithMuggyWeld_AfterTrimmingWithDremel_1.jpg)

(AfterTheSecondGoWithMuggyWeld_AfterTrimmingWithDremel_2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments SettingUPToUseTheMuggyWeld_1.jpg (135KB - 93 downloads)
Attachments SettingUPToUseTheMuggyWeld_2.jpg (128KB - 84 downloads)
Attachments AfterTheFirstGoWithMuggyWeld.jpg (123KB - 102 downloads)
Attachments AfterTheSecondGoWithMuggyWeld.jpg (149KB - 106 downloads)
Attachments AfterTheSecondGoWithMuggyWeld_AfterTrimmingWithDremel_1.jpg (114KB - 79 downloads)
Attachments AfterTheSecondGoWithMuggyWeld_AfterTrimmingWithDremel_2.jpg (122KB - 83 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)