The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

57 Dodge Royal Rear Brake Hubs
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Brakes, Wheels and TiresMessage format

ictfatboy
Posted 2019-04-18 12:18 PM (#581098)
Subject: 57 Dodge Royal Rear Brake Hubs

Does anyone have any good advice on what to do or maybe what not to do when pulling off the tapered shaft wheel hubs on the rears of the 57 Dodge? I have the recommended puller and have broken 2 of the castle nuts while trying to apply pressure. I just went and got a grade 8 nut of the correct size and am going to weld a small piece of flat stock to it so that the pressure will be spread out onto the threads as well as the top of the axle. I am just concerned about doing damage to the threads but I need to get the hub off to change the studs. They are getting pretty boogered up on the left hand side. I have been soaking it with penetrating oil, some heat, etc but still can't get the thing off. Just looking for any words of advice.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Powerflite
Posted 2019-04-18 2:19 PM (#581102 - in reply to #581098)
Subject: Re: 57 Dodge Royal Rear Brake Hubs

Expert 5K+

I prefer using the Snap-on brand puller with 5 legs on it. It applies the pressure very evenly and can take a lot more abuse without issues. But I have used them with 3 legs too without any issues. I suspect that if you are breaking a nut, that it is applying most of the pressure all on one side. So make sure you have it even. I have never had to use heat to get them off with the snapon puller. This ones only $50 right now with 4 legs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Snap-On-Tools-Truck-Hub-Puller-With...

(Snap-on Puller.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Snap-on Puller.jpg (93KB - 182 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)