The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

DIY painting, primer, etc.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

normsclassicradio
Posted 2019-03-06 1:29 PM (#578941)
Subject: DIY painting, primer, etc.

Veteran

Because of the budget on my car, I'm probably going to paint it myself. I painted a couple of cars when I was a kid in the early 80's, and used acrylic enamel with hardener. Fast forward to today. I have no inclination to deal with a compressor, dryer, etc. I have seen the turbine HVLP guns as an alternative. So my questions: What would be a good current substitute for the typical enamels used back in the day? Anyone have a favorite paint brand? I used DuPont back then. I just want an acceptable finish, not show ready. How about equipment? I did some research and fount this:
https://youtu.be/pcesd4ZhK5Y
https://youtu.be/IrYF6NHUI1E

These guys seem to have a handle on the process. Of course any paint is only as good as the prep. What say you gang?

Norm
Top of the page Bottom of the page
mikes2nd
Posted 2019-03-06 3:57 PM (#578951 - in reply to #578941)
Subject: Re: DIY painting, primer, etc.

Expert 5K+

hah yeah you can use a brush also.

I think it depends on how thick it goes on and how much wet sanding buffing you want to do once the body is straight.

I used the 3M accuspray but that looks reasonable. I like it due to cleanup ease and it was cheap, and i can change the tip sizes easily.
There are a couple of tricks with the accuspray though.

Once you wet sand through the orange peel... your good to go with anything...

I bought my paint from TCP, its a single stage eurythane, and it runs about 250$ a gallon for everything. Their "auto color library" will mix you the correct old color. They do all the "formula" work since most paint shop now can only color scan your car and make it up(It will of course be wrong if they do that).

The can will usually show up with damage though since they use UPS... I dont know why they don't fix the way they pack it, if it opens up, they will replace though. Mine had a dent in the corner but it didn't split open.

mikes2nd
Posted 2019-03-06 4:03 PM (#578953 - in reply to #578941)

Expert 5K+

I would think the real issue with the electric sprayer is orange peel. It looks like most have the problem, not enough atomization.
normsclassicradio
Posted 2019-03-06 4:06 PM (#578954 - in reply to #578953)

Veteran

The video of the guy painting his bike shows that with some practice, he got it to flow out pretty smooth. His wet sanding seemed to be to smooth out debris in the paint as anything else... dang bugs...
mikes2nd
Posted 2019-03-06 11:19 PM (#578972 - in reply to #578941)

Expert 5K+

the bike guy put it on so thick its horrible. if you want to take all that extra time and effort to save like 100$... its not worth it at all.

Unless you don't own a compressor but those are on craigslist for super cheap and you can simply resell.
Phatton
Posted 2019-03-10 11:27 AM (#579116 - in reply to #578941)

Veteran

I have both a large compressor (7.5 hp) and a turbine (warner) and use both for paint. They both work well but they are different systems. The paint guns are not interchangeable. The turbine is a little more finicky to use but delivers good results with practice. An important thing to remember when using a turbine system is that the turbine heats the air going into the gun. This can cause orange peel. To avoid this problem I use a slower reducer than I normally would use for the weather conditions. As for paint I prefer a single stage urethane primarily because I have a difficult time seeing the clear coat laying down when I'm painting. Hope this helps.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)