The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Power steering conversion kits.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Steering and SuspensionMessage format

Fin_ish Floyd
Posted 2019-01-20 10:29 AM (#577106)
Subject: Power steering conversion kits.

I have a business, ( under the name,YouTurn1 - for power steering conversions) that will go on Ebay starting in Feb. 2019. We build and sell complete power steering kits for 1957-1960 Plymouth and Dodges at this time,but more early Mopar make and models to come. These kits include,Gear and adapter plate,hoses and fittings, power steering pump, cap, bracket and pulley, complete column and steering shaft modification needs, firewall clamp and boot, hardware ,instructions and CD tutorial. Whether you have stock steering and want to add power assist or if you have power assist and are in need of repairs and having difficulty finding obsolete equipment,we can accommodate you with a completely new and easy to install set up,and we make it look completely stock. I decided to build this business because there are no others that cater to our hobby for earlier mopars complete power steering needs. For more information, Email floydyouturn@hotmail.com
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Fin_ish Floyd
Posted 2019-02-19 8:32 PM (#578406 - in reply to #577106)
Subject: RE: Power steering conversion kits.

Fin_ish Floyd - 2019-01-20 10:29 AM

I have a business, ( under the name,YouTurn1 - for power steering conversions) that will go on Ebay starting in Feb. 2019. We build and sell complete power steering kits for 1957-1960 Plymouth and Dodges at this time,but more early Mopar make and models to come. These kits include,Gear and adapter plate,hoses and fittings, power steering pump, cap, bracket and pulley, complete column and steering shaft modification needs, firewall clamp and boot, hardware ,instructions and CD tutorial. Whether you have stock steering and want to add power assist or if you have power assist and are in need of repairs and having difficulty finding obsolete equipment,we can accommodate you with a completely new and easy to install set up,and we make it look completely professional. I decided to build this business because there are no others that cater to our hobby for earlier mopars complete power steering needs. For more information, Email floydyouturn@hotmail.com
mikes2nd
Posted 2019-02-19 10:13 PM (#578419 - in reply to #577106)
Subject: Re: Power steering conversion kits.

Expert 5K+

what kind of price we talking about?

You should sell off ebay and save 20%
Fin_ish Floyd
Posted 2019-02-23 9:23 AM (#578548 - in reply to #577106)

I will start on EBay on 02/28/19. For more info email floydyouturn@hotmail.com
51coronet
Posted 2019-05-12 11:45 PM (#582088 - in reply to #577106)

Extreme Veteran

No affiliation. Saw this post and decided to look it up. Nice kit. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-steering-conversion-kits-for-1957-195...

$800 for power steering or new parts!
JoeyAlvin58
Posted 2019-06-20 12:29 AM (#583752 - in reply to #577106)

Veteran

I recently bought this power steering conversion kit from youturn1 and I am very satisfied. I bought it for my 58 Plymouth Belvedere that didn’t have power steering. The kit is very well put together and came with detailed instructions. Also I was able to get further help thru email, text and phone. The seller was very helpful. I will do business with him again.
no_jive55
Posted 2020-04-12 12:59 PM (#596727 - in reply to #577106)

Could this work on a slant six? My slant six that I am using in my 1960 Plymouth came out of a 1981 Dodge D150 that had power steering. I just don't know if I would be able to recycle the original reservoir bracket, or if I would have to make a custom bracket.
Fin_ish Floyd
Posted 2020-04-13 10:21 PM (#596802 - in reply to #596727)

At this time I don't have a bracket for the slant 6, but If you have a slant six with a power steering pump (in good working order) and bracket, the kit will work in your 60 Plymouth. If you would prefer to fabricate a bracket, I can send you the pump and hardware along with the rest of the kit. Also, I would be happy to help you as much as I can with the fabrication. Looking forward to your reply or give me a call or Email if you wish.

Floyd Richard
YouTurn Power Steering Conversions
409-789-4064
floydyouturn@Hotmail.com
Mike P
Posted 2020-04-21 7:21 AM (#597175 - in reply to #577106)

Extreme Veteran

Hi. It's been a while since I've posted here.

For those that don't remember me I have a 57 Plymouth Plaza with a 354 Hemi and 4 Speed. The car is running a stock front suspension with AAJ disc brake conversion. I am using a stock manual transmission pedal assembly and clutch linkage. The car has (had) manual steering and uses an automatic manual steering column (not the 3 speed manual transmission column).

I ordered one of You Turns first conversion kits a bit over a year ago......due to a lot of things going on when the kit arrived I just got around to getting it installed.

Due to running the HEMI in my car there was a question of whether the conversion would fit my application. Floyd was kind enough to take several measurements and pictures before I bought the kit and was very helpful throughout the installation process.

If you are installing the kit into automatic equipped car with either power or manual steering it should bolt in with no issues.........it's a fair amount of work and don't plan on getting it done in one day but the installation is pretty straight forward.

The kit was not originally designed for cars using a manual transmission and clutch linkage. I can't fault You Turn for this as they did not have a manual transmission car available for test fitting when they were developing the kit.

If you are converting a manual steering car you will have to change over to a PS pitman arm. If you do not have access to one I believe You Turn is now manufacturing them.

If you are running a car with a manual transmission the modifications required to the kit are fairly simple. You will need to change over to an automatic steering column (either manual or PS) and a floor shift if you still have the 3 on the tree.

If you are converting a manual steering car there will also be some modifications required to make the horn work.

I provided all this information to You Turn and they will pass it along if you are doing the conversion on a manual transmission car.

All that being said the quality of the kit and components are good. The instructions and illustrations are comprehensive. If you review the instructions completely before starting it's pretty straight forward to install. Keep in mind that carpet will need to come up to remove the floor plate and the original steering column and gear will need to be removed thru the passenger compartment.

The kit will not affect the steering geometry.......basically the car will not need a complete alignment after the installation (provided the alignment was correct to begin with). However tow-in should be checked when the installation is complete.

I've had a chance to put a few miles on my 57 since I complete the installation. In my opinion the kit was well worth the cost and work to install it. Having driven several Forward Look cars with factory power steering over the years the road feel of the new steering gear is far nicer than the original PS (IMO and no offence meant to the purists). Don't get me wrong it does not make the car feel like a sports car.......but has the feel of a later 60s era power steering.

Anyway I'm posting this in case some of the members find it useful.

(57 r 2.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 57 r 2.JPG (64KB - 250 downloads)
51coronet
Posted 2020-04-26 3:44 PM (#597367 - in reply to #577106)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the update. I'm glad he has customers that post feedback here.
57chizler
Posted 2020-04-26 5:15 PM (#597377 - in reply to #597175)

Expert

I'm curious, on standard steering cars where the steering box worm gear and steering shaft are one-piece all the way to the steering wheel, how does the steering shaft connect to the conversion P/S box? Cut and splice?

Edited by 57chizler 2020-04-26 5:16 PM
Mike P
Posted 2020-04-27 3:58 AM (#597397 - in reply to #597377)

Extreme Veteran

The steering shaft is cut from the original steering gear and trimmed to the proper length. The included steering U-Joint is pinned/tack welded to the shaft and makes the physical connection to the new steering box.

I did a write-up on the conversion over on MOPARTS. Keep in mind my car is not stock (Chrysler HEMI and 4 Speed) so there were added steps I needed to make that wouldn't be required on a a poly/RB powered car (or D500 car in the case of the Dodges).

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2390696/6...

Powerflite
Posted 2020-04-27 11:04 AM (#597403 - in reply to #577106)

Expert 5K+

I did a home made conversion like this on my '56 Chevy suburban when I converted it to 4x4. You will also need to add a bearing to the end of the shaft to support it inside the bottom of the column. I didn't see that in the kit.
Mike P
Posted 2020-04-27 12:09 PM (#597412 - in reply to #577106)

Extreme Veteran

“……You will also need to add a bearing to the end of the shaft to support it inside the bottom of the column. I didn't see that in the kit…….”

Nope, no lower bearing in the kit and I thought exactly the same thing about needing one when I got the kit and I planned on installing one.

When I got to that point in the conversion (the column and shaft temporally installed) I found out the steering shaft and input shaft on the steering gear are almost perfectly aligned so I tried it without installing a bearing and found out it really doesn’t need one.

There is no noticeable slop in the shaft without a lower bearing as long as the spring loaded centering cone is installed in the upper bearing at the top of the column.

Yeah, I know, it surprised me too.

Edited by Mike P 2020-04-27 12:12 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)