The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

58 Desoto Floor Interchange
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

69rrgrabber
Posted 2018-12-20 1:03 AM (#575526)
Subject: 58 Desoto Floor Interchange

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if the floors and rockers from a 1958 Desoto 4 door sports top will fit a 58 2 door hard top? Before go to the trouble to scrape undercoating to see how the floors are it would be nice to know if they will interchange. THe inner and outer rockers have no cracks or holes but I did not get to poke around much as the salvage yard would not allow me to bring any tools. But for $750 the whole floor and rockers sections they will allow me to come back and scrape the undercoating to see what Id be getting,

Thanks!

Carl
Top of the page Bottom of the page
69rrgrabber
Posted 2018-12-20 1:40 AM (#575527 - in reply to #575526)
Subject: Re: 58 Desoto Floor Interchange

I know that the rocker for the 4 door has the post section between the 2 door and that I would have to remove that. Not sure if under the post if the top of the rocker continues. Thought I could use the extra rocker length from under the rear doors to the rear wheel well to repair the front lower 1/4 panels on my 2 door. Any one out there try this?
finsruskw
Posted 2018-12-20 9:53 AM (#575537 - in reply to #575527)

Expert

The area on top of the rocker from a 4 door is indented to accept the post. This will have to be filled.
I would cut the post part out along with enough material so both pieces when joined with a splice would be the correct length.
The ends being indented to weld under the door jambs to get an original look when finished.
That is what I did on the driver side rocker on my 300C
You will have to drill and cut the original spot welds on the bottom of the jambs to release the old rocker from the cowl and the 1/4 panel.
Not an easy or fun job, let me warn you.
You will also have the inner part of the rocker assy to clean and possibly replace before mounting the replacement piece.

Good luck!

And have 911 on speed dial just in case!!
big m
Posted 2018-12-20 11:01 AM (#575541 - in reply to #575526)

Expert 5K+

Main floors are the same, except the 2-door models have a beam spot welded to the top in the rear to support the front of the rear seat base. As Dave Schwandt mentioned, the rockers have a difference to allow for the B-pillar post.

---John
69rrgrabber
Posted 2018-12-20 3:28 PM (#575558 - in reply to #575526)

That is great news. I can patch the beam area easy enough. My problem is that rocker replacements just are not enough as the extended rocker areas at the front kick panels and rear quarter panel area are also rotted. I will make another trip to the salvage yard and start scraping undercoating to make sure the floors are as good as they seem. Maybe I will get lucky and the rear wheel well seams will be also good on this donar car
Thanks,

Carl
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)