The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why can't anybody get anything right? Case: Trunk Carpet
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> Vendor DiscussionMessage format

56D500boy
Posted 2018-08-30 6:52 PM (#569290)
Subject: Why can't anybody get anything right? Case: Trunk Carpet

Expert 5K+

In my never ending quest to make my car better than when I found it, I decided back in early August to bite the bullet and order a "Store bought" trunk carpet mat (because it said it was for a 56 Dodge). After being assured that it was at least three pieces that would be sewn together to form the carpet, I placed my order.

The resulting trunk carpet was delivered to my mail drop on Tuesday and I went down and picked it up today. Got home, emptied the trunk and tried the carpet in the trunk.

When I tried it in the trunk, I found that there was no way that I could move the carpet around to make it fit properly in all areas at one time. If I pulled it one way to get better fit, then there was a bigger gap somewhere else and so on.

As shown in the photo attached, there are several areas where there is either not enough material or too much or the carpet just doesn't fit to the trunk body properly. Very disappointed.

No names at this point. Just venting my frustration.

Only good news is I know how I would create a better multi-piece set of templates for a carpet that would actually fit (assuming that 1) I could find the material and 2) I could get somebody to sew it).

See below

Edited by 56D500boy 2018-08-30 6:57 PM

(New56DodgeCarpetFromWellKnownSuppliers_ShowingPoorFit_Annotated_small.jpg)

(Potential_Improved56DodgeTrunkCarpetTemplate.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments New56DodgeCarpetFromWellKnownSuppliers_ShowingPoorFit_Annotated_small.jpg (194KB - 250 downloads)
Attachments Potential_Improved56DodgeTrunkCarpetTemplate.jpg (160KB - 252 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
CaprockClassics
Posted 2018-08-30 10:43 PM (#569298 - in reply to #569290)
Subject: Re: Why can't anybody get anything right? Case: Trunk Carpet

Elite Veteran

Considering these cars never had carpetted trunks to begin with, what you show there is about as good as I'd expect from a mail-order company. For a driver condition car, that's usually more than adequate. Otherwise, have a local upholstery guy tackle it.
-Peter
56D500boy
Posted 2018-08-30 10:57 PM (#569299 - in reply to #569298)

Expert 5K+

CaprockClassics - 2018-08-30 10:43 PM

Considering these cars never had carpetted trunks to begin with, what you show there is about as good as I'd expect from a mail-order company. For a driver condition car, that's usually more than adequate. Otherwise, have a local upholstery guy tackle it.
-Peter

I know that the 56 Dodges didn't have carpetted trunks from the factory but I couldn't find a proper rubber mat for it, so the carpet was the only option, other than making it or having it made. Yes, my car is a driver condition car (at best) but sorry, that carpet is a poor excuse for "adequate".

I see that Stock Interiors will sell me a 54" x 90" piece of polyester "felt" for $45 (plus shipping). Once I determine the area required by my 4 piece template, I will probably order from Stock Interiors and have some one local sew it together for me.

1961plymouthfury
Posted 2018-09-01 12:40 PM (#569369 - in reply to #569290)

Expert

Did you try Gary Goers that is were I got the trunk carpet for my '61 from Its still in the box and will stay there until the car is painted .
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)