The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Swapping the horn slip ring from one steering wheel to another
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

56D500boy
Posted 2018-08-30 4:28 PM (#569278)
Subject: Swapping the horn slip ring from one steering wheel to another

Expert 5K+

In my brilliance (NOT!!), I never noticed that the solid rubber steering wheel that I got from French Lake Auto Parts (FLAP) to renovate and paint for my 56 Dodge was missing the horn slip ring. I only saw that when I got finished the renovation (filling cracks, sanding, priming, filling, priming and painting) and I was taking photos of my original steering wheel and the "new" steering wheel. "Hey that the....??"

Based on what I see (shown in the photos below), the copper slip ring is held to the steering wheel by the signal light cancellation tab ring. The slip ring must be put on first, followed by the two tab cancellation ring. The cancellation ring has a tab the fits into a grove on the exterior hub of the steering wheel so the orientation is always correct. Then it looks like the tab is "peened" into an unseen second (and perpendicular) groove on the hub. That peening might be the only thing that keeps the cancellation tab ring in place.

I know I need to remove the cancellation ring to remove the horn slip ring but I don't want to go in guns (and hammers) blazing without better understanding of what needs to be done.

Any BTDT's will be appreciated.

(Thanks in advance)

Edited by 56D500boy 2018-08-30 4:32 PM

(RecentlyRenod56DodgeSteeringWheelWithOopsNoHornSlipRing.jpg)

(RecentlyRenod56DodgeSteeringWheel_ShowingCancellationTabsButNoSlipRing.jpg)

(OE56DodgeSteeringWheelWithCancellationTabsANDHornSlipRing.jpg)

(OE56DodgeSteeringWheel_ShowingHowCancellationTabRingHoldsHornSlipRingOntoTheWheel.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments RecentlyRenod56DodgeSteeringWheelWithOopsNoHornSlipRing.jpg (209KB - 162 downloads)
Attachments RecentlyRenod56DodgeSteeringWheel_ShowingCancellationTabsButNoSlipRing.jpg (215KB - 166 downloads)
Attachments OE56DodgeSteeringWheelWithCancellationTabsANDHornSlipRing.jpg (212KB - 153 downloads)
Attachments OE56DodgeSteeringWheel_ShowingHowCancellationTabRingHoldsHornSlipRingOntoTheWheel.jpg (169KB - 168 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
56D500boy
Posted 2018-08-31 12:43 PM (#569317 - in reply to #569278)
Subject: RE: Swapping the horn slip ring from one steering wheel to another

Expert 5K+

Bump.

Still hoping for a BTDT hint as to how to make this swap.

TIA.

ttotired
Posted 2018-08-31 5:09 PM (#569326 - in reply to #569278)
Subject: Re: Swapping the horn slip ring from one steering wheel to another

Expert 5K+

I have done it a couple of times, you just lever the lock ring off

Now heres the bad bit, you may crack the lock ring removing it, I think they were fitted hot or
were pressed on, but the metal is very brittle

Not sure if the ring itself is different to the "60" one, but heres a link to a new one

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-NOS-Strg-Whl-Horn-Contact-Ring-Feed-C...

As for the collar, if it breaks, unless you have another (I was lucky and did) you will need to machine up a new retainer

56D500boy
Posted 2018-09-13 2:40 PM (#570052 - in reply to #569326)

Expert 5K+

ttotired - 2018-08-31 5:09 PM
I have done it a couple of times, you just lever the lock ring off

Now here's the bad bit, you may crack the lock ring removing it, I think they were fitted hot or
were pressed on, but the metal is very brittle

Thanks for that. I was at my NOS guy (Ron W.) on Tuesday to show him my Detroit-style ball and trunion U-joint (to see if he had a new housing etc) and at the end of the conversation I brought up my horn ring issue. I had brought a diagram from the parts pdf (see below) that identifies the components. Ron looked up the parts and checked his computer. Nothing on the horn ring but he did have the 1689 640 cancellation ring if I was going to need one. He suggested that the way to remove the cancellation ring was to pry it up a bit at a time and work your way around until it came loose.

This morning I was in the basement doing something else and I saw my OE steering wheel laying there begging to be abused. So I found an appropriate prying tool (thin Craftsman flat blade screw driver) and a suitable persuasion tool (Big hammer). I laid the steering wheel flat up against an immovable object (laundry area counter backsplash) and proceeded to start the removal.

It didn't take too long to figure out that the cancellation ring's locating tab was staked to the hub of the steering wheel and that I would have to bend it enough to get the staking divot out of the groove (or whatever) on the steering wheel hub. Once I did that (with the screw driver and hammer), I again started to try wedging the ring up. This time it gave up and started to come loose. I worked my way around the wheel (180 deg at a time (with 45 deg) offsets) and very soon the cancellation ring was off. I then gently pried the horn ring up and it came loose. Now to re-install on the refurbed (rubber wheel) and install in the car.

EDIT: Removed the cancellation ring from the rubber wheel and discovered that its "ears" were longer than on my OE wheel. Brain starts going.

*DING*

The rubber wheel never had a horn!! (WHAT!!!???) and therefore it had no horn contact ring so the cancellation ring ears had to be longer because the ring sat closer to the wheel without the horn ring and its rubber insulation washer. Hmm... Furthermore, there is no hole for the swapped horning ring lead to go through the steering wheel so I'll have to drill one. (No biggy).

Strange. No horn? Wow.

Photos:

Edited by 56D500boy 2018-09-13 3:13 PM

(SignalLightAndHornRingDiagram.jpg)

(OE56DodgeSteeringWheel_BendingBackLocatingTabOnCancellationRing.jpg)

(OE56DodgeSteeringWheel_CancellationRingRemoved.jpg)

(OE56DodgeSteeringWheel_CancellationRingAndHornContactRingRemoved.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments SignalLightAndHornRingDiagram.jpg (145KB - 162 downloads)
Attachments OE56DodgeSteeringWheel_BendingBackLocatingTabOnCancellationRing.jpg (126KB - 165 downloads)
Attachments OE56DodgeSteeringWheel_CancellationRingRemoved.jpg (134KB - 151 downloads)
Attachments OE56DodgeSteeringWheel_CancellationRingAndHornContactRingRemoved.jpg (122KB - 146 downloads)
Powerflite
Posted 2018-09-13 8:44 PM (#570063 - in reply to #569278)

Expert 5K+

You're lucky. When I faced this same problem, the rubber on my new horn ring was so brittle that it fell apart in many pieces. I would have had to go through many wheels to get a horn ring with decent rubber on it. In the end, I just used a different wheel that already had a horn ring on it. Painful conclusion, but live and learn.
56D500boy
Posted 2018-09-13 10:32 PM (#570074 - in reply to #570063)

Expert 5K+

Powerflite - 2018-09-13 8:44 PM

You're lucky. When I faced this same problem, the rubber on my new horn ring was so brittle that it fell apart in many pieces. I would have had to go through many wheels to get a horn ring with decent rubber on it. In the end, I just used a different wheel that already had a horn ring on it. Painful conclusion, but live and learn.

Yeah, I know (that I was lucky). The rubber isn't real soft or anything but it didn't crack and break when I pried the cancellation ring off (while causing the rubber some stress in the process).

Upwards and onwards!!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)