The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Parking Brake
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Brakes, Wheels and TiresMessage format

albjerryg
Posted 2018-04-26 11:46 AM (#562310)
Subject: Parking Brake

Veteran

I don't understand the parking brake. I did as the manual said and adjusted . When I turn the drive shaft with no parking brake it turns freely. When I apply the parking brake I cannot turn the drive shaft. But the back wheel turn freely in both cases. Not much stopping power????????? Thanks Confused jerry
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rebels-59
Posted 2018-04-26 12:02 PM (#562311 - in reply to #562310)
Subject: Re: Parking Brake

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

If the Driveshaft locks up with parkingbrake pulled then its fine, Both rear wheels will still turn if you raise the vehicle, as the parking brake locks the driveshaft and not wheels, When the wheels are on the floor they cannot turn as driveshaft is locked , All you are currently turning is the rear Diff,

Drop the car on all 4 wheels and you will see

albjerryg
Posted 2018-04-26 12:10 PM (#562312 - in reply to #562311)
Subject: Re: Parking Brake

Veteran

ok Thanks jerry
57burb
Posted 2018-04-26 12:21 PM (#562313 - in reply to #562310)
Subject: RE: Parking Brake

Expert

I think you have the emergency brake adjusted correctly.

Even with the emergency brake engaged, you will be able to turn one wheel - but you will not be able to turn both wheels at the same time.

This old video from Ford does a great job of explaining how an 'open' differential works. Just imagine locking the driveshaft in place, and you will see that this differential design will allow one wheel to turn independently from the other tire that is stopped. Mopar engineers assumed that both wheels will "always" be on the ground and will not be able to turn at different speeds. When that is true, then the car will not move with the emergency brake engaged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYAw79386WI

The Mopar driveshaft brake is functional for most scenarios, but not always. For instance, if you jack up one of the rear tires to change it, the car will be able to roll. That's why they went to a wheel-based emergency brake in later years.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)