The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1957 Dodge Bias or Radial
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Brakes, Wheels and TiresMessage format

1977cutcher
Posted 2018-03-04 2:55 PM (#559201)
Subject: 1957 Dodge Bias or Radial

Hello, I am sure this has been talked about before but I am looking for some input. Now that the weather is thinking about getting nicer I am starting to turn my attention to getting the cars out of storage. On the 57 Dodge Coronet 4 door hard top I have been fighting a vibration for the last couple of seasons. It usually shows up at speeds above 40 MPH or so. I've triple checked the front end, replaced the trunnion, and so on. At this point the only thing I can figure is that even though the tires look good there must be some flat spots from sitting more often then not since the restoration was done in 1991. The car was fitted with Coker Classic bias ply tires at the time of restoration and have admittedly done pretty well considering they are over 20 years old. My question is are the radials worth the extra cost, or should I stick with the tried and true. The car gets perhaps at most about 1500 miles per season. I do my best to keep the car a original as possible to the factory look when ever possible so that is a consideration as well. Thanks for the input!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
b5rt
Posted 2018-03-04 8:04 PM (#559227 - in reply to #559201)
Subject: Re: 1957 Dodge Bias or Radial

Expert

Find a tire shop that has someone in charge that appreciates classic cars. Have them put the wheel/tires on a wheel balance machine and see what happens.

As for radials vs bias ply that's a discussion that's been going on for decades. As for Coker tires... do a search here when you have lots of spare time.
Viper Guy
Posted 2018-03-04 11:27 PM (#559240 - in reply to #559201)
Subject: Re: 1957 Dodge Bias or Radial

Expert

I wanted to keep my '59 DeSoto original so I kept the bias ply tires that matched the factory original Goodyear Super Cushions. I had some vibrations as well but minimized them with a bead balance and I always keep about 50 psi air in the tires when the car is sitting for extended periods of time to minimize flat spotting. If I were to drive the car a lot, I would go to with radials - no question about it.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)