The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

KYB rear shocks failed.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Steering and SuspensionMessage format

60 Imp
Posted 2018-02-14 5:03 AM (#558087)
Subject: KYB rear shocks failed.

I put my Imperial on my hoist (2 post) for the first time 2 weeks ago. When I lowered the car one rear shock spewed about a cup of oil and the other a couple tea spoons full of stinky oil. Smelt like a cattle truck nearby! Luckily I had the old Munroe's in the shed, they went back on.
First time i have seen this on any car, anyone else seen this?

Steve.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
StillOutThere
Posted 2018-02-14 5:40 AM (#558088 - in reply to #558087)
Subject: Re: KYB rear shocks failed.

Which type of KYB? Must not be the Gas-a-Just which have gas rather than oil. Are your rear springs badly worn? Too many hobbyist believe the shocks hold up the car. They don't. The springs do. Air schocks will help hold a car up but it is stillmainly the springs job.
Shep
Posted 2018-02-14 1:20 PM (#558103 - in reply to #558088)

Expert

This can occur if the shocks bottom out or are repeatedly over extended. Measure if in the mounted loaded position they are in approximately mid stroke.
60 Imp
Posted 2018-02-15 6:43 AM (#558131 - in reply to #558088)

StillOutThere - 2018-02-14 7:40 PM

Which type of KYB? Must not be the Gas-a-Just which have gas rather than oil. Are your rear springs badly worn? Too many hobbyist believe the shocks hold up the car. They don't. The springs do. Air schocks will help hold a car up but it is stillmainly the springs job.

I call them Gas-a-Bust!

I got the KYB shocks recommended by people on this and the OIC sites for both ends of the car. KG5511 in the back. Let me tell you there is some stinky oil in them. I thought the gas shocks had the gas on top of the oil to reduce foaming etc?

My 60 Imperial has aftermarket rear helper springs that are adjustable (was a tow car at some point in its life) and the original springs are in excellent condition. The rear suspension also has the Ímperial" torque bars. I dont know why it happened, but either I did something wrong or the shocks were defective.

I might cut one up and have a closer look.

BTW. the old Munroe's feel good!

Steve.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)