The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

TRYING TO FIX GAS TANK OUTLET CONNECTIO
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> General Technical Discussion and TroubleshootingMessage format

Ron
Posted 2017-11-28 4:18 PM (#553320)
Subject: TRYING TO FIX GAS TANK OUTLET CONNECTIO

Extreme Veteran

Hi Jim,

I just had my gas tank totally cleaned and coated, somehow the outlet tube got bent and when they tried to straighten it, it broke. I am now being told that the gas outlet tube has a totally different thread with a rounded edge and no one seems to know how to remake it.
I been to dealers, garages, hydraulic hose makers, machined shops, no one ever saw a connection like this.

There is a bolt welded right on to the tank, this piece is where the outlet screw need screwed into it. Do you have any idea what can be done with this broken piece. The sleeve with the treads can be used over but no one knows what kind of flare end it has.?

Would 57 or 58 Mopar Plymouth or Dodge have a similar setup I could use?

SEE 4 PHOTOS BELOW

(IMG_4071.JPG)

(IMG_4072.JPG)

(IMG_4073.JPG)

(IMG_4076.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_4071.JPG (194KB - 112 downloads)
Attachments IMG_4072.JPG (213KB - 108 downloads)
Attachments IMG_4073.JPG (219KB - 120 downloads)
Attachments IMG_4076.JPG (212KB - 107 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
1960fury
Posted 2017-11-28 5:58 PM (#553330 - in reply to #553320)
Subject: RE: TRYING TO FIX GAS TANK OUTLET CONNECTIO

Expert 5K+

the tube has no threads, its the fitting and you can reuse your old one. you only need a new tube and a flaring tool.

and i would kick those guys **** it doesn't look like the damage was an accident. they cut it. and the only way to straighten it is from the inside and there are no signs that that has been tried and the chances it breaks when you try to straighten is from the inside with heat are zero.
LostDeere59
Posted 2017-11-29 9:33 AM (#553368 - in reply to #553320)

Extreme Veteran

I've dealt with plenty of seized tubing nuts over the years and I have to disagree with the thinking this was cut - to me it appears exactly like a twisted/torn tube due to a seized nut.

As far as the fitting/tube repair I'm assuming this is a standard size tube and nut/thread. While the flare is a bit unusual you should be able to reproduce it with a standard flaring kit. Most U.S. vehicles use a standard double flare in a V configuration. The tool which does that can be used to duplicate what you have by partially performing the first part of the flaring operation, creating a "bubble" type flare. You'll want to re-use the tubing nut you have to retain the deep collar below the thread, although these are available.

I'd also take a good look at the seat and make sure it isn't supposed to be a double flare, and that this particular tube was somehow incorrectly flared, and managed to function because there is no pressure on the fluid at that point.

Gregg
local2Ed
Posted 2017-11-29 11:47 AM (#553377 - in reply to #553368)

Extreme Veteran

LostDeere59 - 2017-11-29 9:33 AM

I've dealt with plenty of seized tubing nuts over the years and I have to disagree with the thinking this was cut - to me it appears exactly like a twisted/torn tube due to a seized nut.

As far as the fitting/tube repair I'm assuming this is a standard size tube and nut/thread. While the flare is a bit unusual you should be able to reproduce it with a standard flaring kit. Most U.S. vehicles use a standard double flare in a V configuration. The tool which does that can be used to duplicate what you have by partially performing the first part of the flaring operation, creating a "bubble" type flare. You'll want to re-use the tubing nut you have to retain the deep collar below the thread, although these are available.

I'd also take a good look at the seat and make sure it isn't supposed to be a double flare, and that this particular tube was somehow incorrectly flared, and managed to function because there is no pressure on the fluid at that point.

Gregg

Looks like it was twisted off to me.

I've used 5/16 brake line either store bought or flared by myself a standard brake line double flare and never had a problem.
1960fury
Posted 2017-11-29 2:25 PM (#553387 - in reply to #553368)

Expert 5K+

LostDeere59 - 2017-11-29 9:33 AM

Gregg

if the fitting was seized theres no way to turn/twist it off. what you mean is the tube was seized to the fitting and in that case the angle of the bend wouldn't be close to 90°, like in this case
anyway, what i meant is it was done deliberately. in order to twist it off you have to repeat the twisting motion several times. no way you separate a line completely by accident.
oldwood
Posted 2017-11-29 10:10 PM (#553404 - in reply to #553387)
Subject: Re: TRYING TO FIX GAS TANK OUTLET CONNECTIO

Expert

I've had my tank coated and won't make that mistake again. Ethanol is not friendly to the coat
ing.
jboymechanic
Posted 2017-11-29 10:34 PM (#553407 - in reply to #553320)
Subject: Re: TRYING TO FIX GAS TANK OUTLET CONNECTIO

Expert

Ron,

I hate to say it, but I've live through the exact situation with my '56 Imperial. Same odd flare that I could not duplicate and make leak free. Dorsey is right about coatings, such as gas tank Renu, they do not work long term, only a few years at best. Do yourself a favor and purchase a good used tank, find a new one, or have one made. I had a new one made with up to date, readily available fittings (AN fittings).
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)