The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Oh NOW what! No-start condition...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> 1955-1961 Forward Look MoPar General DiscussionMessage format

ViperMan
Posted 2017-10-25 10:17 AM (#551007)
Subject: Oh NOW what! No-start condition...

Regular

I'm pretty sure I can tackle this one, but here I am barely two-weeks into "antique car ownership" and my list of things to fix is growing by the day...

Went out to move the Coronet just so I could move something heavy into the garage, and it wouldn't start. Clicking noise from up front and what sounded like a light buzz from the ammeter gauge in the dash. My guess is the click is the starter solenoid, so that leaves the starter. I JUST replaced the battery, so that's likely not it. Also headlights/dash lights are bright. I have a nice multi-meter, and of course the nice thing with this car is you can basically reach everything from inside the engine bay, so I should be able to chase down the problem and fix it without too much trouble - as long as parts are available.

Man - this car is already kicking my butt!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2017-10-25 10:31 AM (#551008 - in reply to #551007)
Subject: RE: Oh NOW what! No-start condition...

Any car, new to you, is going to run you around in circles for
a bit, chasing "spooks". The click you hear is the solenoid pushing
forward, with no crank follow up. My guess is low charge ....
enough to pop the solenoid, but not enough to crank the starter.

Deep breath ... start at the most obvious problem and work
your way in. This is not that big of a deal. At least, that is what
I tell myself when things get frustrating.
FINS!
Posted 2017-10-25 10:45 AM (#551012 - in reply to #551007)

Elite Veteran

That, or the solenoid or starter itself went bad.
Islander 62
Posted 2017-10-25 11:25 AM (#551013 - in reply to #551007)

Veteran

ViperMan - 2017-10-25 7:17 AM

I'm pretty sure I can tackle this one, but here I am barely two-weeks into "antique car ownership" and my list of things to fix is growing by the day...

Went out to move the Coronet just so I could move something heavy into the garage, and it wouldn't start. Clicking noise from up front and what sounded like a light buzz from the ammeter gauge in the dash. My guess is the click is the starter solenoid, so that leaves the starter. I JUST replaced the battery, so that's likely not it. Also headlights/dash lights are bright. I have a nice multi-meter, and of course the nice thing with this car is you can basically reach everything from inside the engine bay, so I should be able to chase down the problem and fix it without too much trouble - as long as parts are available.

Man - this car is already kicking my butt!

Try cleaning and tightening the battery terminals, relay, and solenoid terminals.....if the temperature where you are has dropped lately or you've had any rain, there's a chance you're dealing with a connection that won't carry the amps....
ViperMan
Posted 2017-10-26 3:31 PM (#551100 - in reply to #551007)
Subject: Re: Oh NOW what! No-start condition...

Regular

Last night I tried to start it again on a whim - it did the same thing, but now the lights don't even work. I was just poking around a bit (it's too cold to do much work outside right now) and I see where I have a lot of frayed wires and such...

Luckily, electrical is my thing - I once rewired most of the engine bay on my '73 'Cuda (now sold.) And the FIRST engine bay I ever rewired was a '48 Dodge, so this shouldn't be too tough to do...

I'm going to pull the battery and get it tested. I can't believe for a second that it has some sort of parasitic draw, but maybe it's just a faulty battery - I bought it just three weeks ago.

After that I'll run some voltage checks at the regulator and such.

Oh - while we're on it, are these cars chassis-grounded? It looks like they are from the wiring diagram. My battery ground cable goes straight to the motor - I was thinking about running a second cable from the battery to the chassis somewhere, just to help with currents. I mean, for all I know, the ground current from the motor to the chassis may have snapped or come loose. *shrug*
ronbo97
Posted 2017-10-26 7:09 PM (#551126 - in reply to #551100)

Expert

There should be an engine-to-firewall ground wire.

Also, what year car is this ?

Ron

ViperMan
Posted 2017-10-30 7:52 AM (#551315 - in reply to #551126)

Regular

Well, went out this weekend to start poking in to things and of COURSE, she more-or-less fired right up. So I apparently have an "intermittent-no-start condition." Great...

ronbo97 - 2017-10-26 7:09 PM

Ron

1956 Coronet. I forgot to look for this over the weekend, but I'm definitely going to add a battery ground directly to the body. Just gotta find a good spot to put it.
Powerflite
Posted 2017-10-30 6:50 PM (#551356 - in reply to #551007)

Expert 5K+

Intermittent issues are often due to the starter relay not working properly, or having too much resistance. When it does it again, have a piece of wire ready to bypass the relay with the wire on the + side of the battery and see if that makes it work. If it does work you know where your problem lies.
56D500boy
Posted 2017-10-30 7:07 PM (#551357 - in reply to #551315)

Expert 5K+

ViperMan - 2017-10-30 7:52 AM
ronbo97 - 2017-10-26 7:09 PM

Ron

1956 Coronet. I forgot to look for this over the weekend, but I'm definitely going to add a battery ground directly to the body. Just gotta find a good spot to put it.

Here is a photo taken for other reasons but showing (barely) the location of my 56 Dodge's engine to body ground wire (on the firewall near the end of the black wire cover). You can see the bolt and a bit of the wire.

(DaveFs56D500ShowingWhereTheEngineToBodyGroundIsLocatedNearEndOfBlackWireCover.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DaveFs56D500ShowingWhereTheEngineToBodyGroundIsLocatedNearEndOfBlackWireCover.jpg (178KB - 105 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)