The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1960 Saratoga - Starter / Solenoid Q
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Electrical, Battery and ChargingMessage format

Dan K
Posted 2017-10-02 11:33 AM (#549608)
Subject: 1960 Saratoga - Starter / Solenoid Q

After fixing my blown PS pressure line about a month ago on my 1960 Saratoga (383), my starter immediately went out - but at least I got one test drive in circulate PS fluid around adequately before the next problem presented itself. Finally back home after being out of town for work, and want to get her back on the road.

Symptoms are: an almost inaudible click when I turn the key to the crank position.

All the heavy-gauge wiring from battery -> relay -> solenoid looks almost brand new; as does the grounding wire to the block. removed and checked all connections regardless.

When I got to the (heavy gauge) connection at the solenoid, I found that the post the wire mounts to is loose and sloppy, and got some pretty major arcing just wiggling the wire around when the battery is connected. Also, the side of the solenoid looks like it's been beaten and punished regularly by someone's hammer to coerce it into starting mode. So, seems obvious I need to get a new solenoid; the starter motor itself does it's job quite well.

Questions:

1) Good source for a starter solenoid?
2) Is replacing and/or rebuilding the starter motor itself a recommended "might as well" while it's out?
3) I've found that I can manually depress the starter solenoid plunger, hotwire the starter off of the relay, and start the car consistently (altho burned the F out of my arm on the exhaust manifold doing this once when the engine was hot) - is this normal that you can manually push in the solenoid and have it stay depressed down?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
wizard
Posted 2017-10-02 12:45 PM (#549611 - in reply to #549608)
Subject: Re: 1960 Saratoga - Starter / Solenoid Q

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

Dan, if no-one fiddled with the solonoid Before you should be able to open it up and turn the copper bolts as well as the washer that makes contact inside - this makes the solonoid "like new".

Normally, the brushes are of a very good quality and the original ones are even longer as "used" then the new replacement ones. It is a good idea to Clean up the starter and eventually turn the commutor and grease up the bushings - a Little satin black paint on the starter and it will look like new again.

KcImperial
Posted 2017-10-02 9:38 PM (#549646 - in reply to #549608)
Subject: Re: 1960 Saratoga - Starter / Solenoid Q

Expert

Both Oreilly's and Advance Auto list solenoid "bwd s99" for a 1960 Saratoga
At $29, it's not a huge gamble to see if it solves your problem
Dan K
Posted 2017-10-03 2:13 PM (#549697 - in reply to #549608)
Subject: RE: 1960 Saratoga - Starter / Solenoid Q

Thanks guys. Hopefull will have some time to pull it this weekend. I like the idea of trying to repair the existing unit if it is the OEM one; I'll report back after I get it out and on the bench.

Dan K
Posted 2017-10-03 2:15 PM (#549698 - in reply to #549608)
Subject: RE: 1960 Saratoga - Starter / Solenoid Q

Thanks guys. Hopefully I will have some time to pull it this weekend.

I like the idea of trying to repair the existing unit if it is the OEM one; I'll report back after I get it out and on the bench.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)