The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

steering column removal
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Steering and SuspensionMessage format

fireguyfire
Posted 2017-10-01 3:43 PM (#549543)
Subject: steering column removal

Veteran

Trying to remove the steering column on my 58 Chrysler so that I can remove the body from the frame.
My car is a power steering car.
I have followed the shop manual exactly; Have removed the steering wheel and the turn signal lever, have completely loosened the clamp band just above where the column mates with the power steering gear box, and I have already removed the dash so the steering column inside the car is free.
I can spin the painted sleeve on the outside of the column without turning the wheels, but I cannot get the column to slide up so that I can punch the cotter pin that connects the steering shaft to the gearbox. I have tried prying at the base where they meet but don't want to do any damage; it will simply not slide upwards to expose that cotter pin.
Am I missing something or doing something wrong? Does anyone know how far up I have the slide the outer painted column to expose the cotter pin?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
59 in Calif
Posted 2017-10-02 12:10 AM (#549576 - in reply to #549543)
Subject: Re: steering column removal

Elite Veteran

Did you remove the snap ring at the upper bearing ? Sometimes they are a little tricky to see. It goes around the shaft that is attached to the P/S box. It holds the upper bearing in place. Should be a thin flat washer under the snap ring. The outer column will not come out until that snap ring is removed. Jerry
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)