The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

An Alternative Gas Tank Hanger Strap Attachment
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Engine, Exhaust, Fuel and IgnitionMessage format

56D500boy
Posted 2017-09-29 2:41 PM (#549417)
Subject: An Alternative Gas Tank Hanger Strap Attachment

Expert 5K+

I just realized yesterday when I had a bunch of cr@p out of my 56 Dodge Custom Royal trunk so I could sit in there and finalize my twin 6 x 9 speaker install that I probably never documented my version of a gas tank hanger strap fix.

A year ago when I got my car, I couldn't get the engine started. The local shop I took it to couldn't get it started either and declared that carb was fubar'd and the gas tank probably needed a refurb. So after the car was towed home and deftly placed in the garage by the tow truck driver, I started into it. Removed the carb and took it for a rebuild. I also started to take off the fuel tank.

Naturally the original fuel tank strap nuts were rusted to/fused with the hanger strap nut. I tried soaking them in PB Blaster, etc. but nothing worked. I tried to remove the nut anyway but just ended up snapping the nut/bolt fusion at the end of the strap. Oh Oh. My first can of worms.

At the time, I had not found this forum yet so I was kind of on my own. I came up with a sketch of some ideas and ran it buy a few retired engineer friends and my neighbour (a metal fabricator). Almost all had suggestions, many included welding which I do not do.

Because I was still 2 weeks away from joining the forum, I didn't see rbmain's solution (which in retrospect is very good and doable as a home DIY):

Which would work with the OE style strap nut.

I think I checked this website but saw that they didn't have any 56 Dodge straps:

http://www.classiccarautoparts.com/gastank_straps_chrysler.html

SO without that, I carried on.

The short term solution (which has turned out to be long term) was to buy two 1/2" bolt size connector nuts (typically used to extend RediRods (I think)). These are about 2" long. I bought a new 3/16" titanium drill bit and then drilled through this connector nut (flat to flat) about 1/4" from the end. Then I took the couplers out to the straps with a 1 1/4" 10-32 machine screws and ran the screw through the bottom of the two strap holes and the first hole in the connector nut. Then I aligned the connector nut and marked the location of the second hole with a felt pen through the remaining strap hole. Drilled the second hole and trialed the result on the strap. Decide that it would work fine. There was some fiddling figuring out the length of the 1/2" bolt that I will need (coming down from the top through the hole in the trunk with a nice big SS washer). The 10-32s were attached with Nyloc nuts. I thought that there could be some welding in the future, e.g. when I have the car running and in for a new exhaust system. (Never happened)

When I got the gas tank back I held it up with a trolley jack and a piece of 2 x 4 and then pulled the strap into position and bolted down from the top with a 1/2" bolt (can't remember the length) with a couple of washers under the head of the bolt for support and spacing. Not the prettiest solution but it worked.

Edited by 56D500boy 2017-09-30 2:18 AM

(OEStyleFuelTankHangerStrap.jpg)

(OEStyleFuelTankStrapNuts.jpg)

(DForgiesOct1_16FuelTankStrapIdeas.jpg)

(CouplerNut.jpg)

(ImprovisedGasTankHangerStrapBoltNut_1.jpg)

(ImprovisedGasTankHangerStrapBoltNut_2.jpg)

(ImprovisedGasTankHangerStrapBoltNut_3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments OEStyleFuelTankHangerStrap.jpg (14KB - 259 downloads)
Attachments OEStyleFuelTankStrapNuts.jpg (27KB - 268 downloads)
Attachments DForgiesOct1_16FuelTankStrapIdeas.jpg (70KB - 274 downloads)
Attachments CouplerNut.jpg (9KB - 258 downloads)
Attachments ImprovisedGasTankHangerStrapBoltNut_1.jpg (123KB - 257 downloads)
Attachments ImprovisedGasTankHangerStrapBoltNut_2.jpg (121KB - 286 downloads)
Attachments ImprovisedGasTankHangerStrapBoltNut_3.jpg (192KB - 279 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
big m
Posted 2017-09-29 6:46 PM (#549429 - in reply to #549417)
Subject: Re: An Alternative Gas Tank Hanger Strap Attachment

Expert 5K+

Good solution to a common problem. Almost every tank I've removed on a '55-'56 the nuts were solidly seized to the threaded portion, even getting them cherry red with a torch had marginal results.

---John
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)