The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Made a local car show yesterday th the 300-F
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> Members RidesMessage format

finsruskw
Posted 2017-08-20 6:05 AM (#546563)
Subject: Made a local car show yesterday th the 300-F

Expert

I wasted the day yesterday at a local (150 car) show. All the MoPars were in one class. I was the only one w/fins other than friend's '63 Imperial that kinda has fins!!
Exceptions were a 57 Ford, a 56 Crown Vitoria and the always super rare hard to find 57 Chevys were about it for finned 50's cars. The F took home a 3rd place piece of plastic. The kiddie cars ruled.
One had a huge placard made up to look like a real newspaper tory w/several pages touting the RARE BARN FIND hard to find 57 chevy along with photos of the "restoration"
What a joke, all you need is a catalog, deep pockets and spare time.
Most sported a raft of shiny aftermarket crap under the hood and elsewhere.
The rest were rods customs etc, etc, and many were really late model newer cars making a large part of the field look like a late model used car lot.
Car shows suck anymore!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
mikes2nd
Posted 2017-08-20 8:53 AM (#546570 - in reply to #546563)
Subject: Re: Made a local car show yesterday th the 300-F

Expert 5K+

its insane how rare FWL cars are seriously.

Even at Carlisle I was expecting a bigger crowd. Maybe they made it Saturday?

I live near summit racing and there are a ton of car shows. 57 chevys everywhere. Hardly never a fwl mopar.

I went to a local big mopar show, 1 Christine clone... that was it out of probably 400+ mopars. Holy crap the amount of challengers and charger...(new ones).
58 DESOTOS RULE
Posted 2017-08-25 3:13 PM (#547020 - in reply to #546563)
Subject: RE: Made a local car show yesterday th the 300-F

Expert

One had a huge placard made up to look like a real newspaper tory w/several pages touting the RARE BARN FIND hard to find 57 chevy along with photos of the "restoration" 

What a joke, all you need is a catalog, deep pockets and spare time. 

LoL. I understand you can even buy brand new 1957 Chebby bodies from GM to put on a chassis of your choice. Hardly qualifies then for a "rare" and "hard to find" car moniker in my opinion.

Edited by 58 DESOTOS RULE 2017-08-25 3:14 PM
FIN ME
Posted 2017-08-28 11:16 AM (#547187 - in reply to #546563)

Expert

I hear ya, finsruskw! It can get a bit much at times.

Sometimes though, I manage to hit on some great shows, which can make up for it all.

I took my old FL to a couple of Indianapolis-area shows this past weekend, each with approx. 400+ cars entered.

The very well-attended "Artomobilia" show in Carmel, Indiana was a great show with something for everyone, and the weather was perfect. The cars were parked along the streets of the "arts district" of Carmel. I was parked beside a mega-cute Nash Metropolitan, and the two cars had to be the most photographed during the event. It never let up! The Metro and the DeSoto seemed to be the people's two favourite cars, for sure. The questions regarding my car never ended. Folks seem to be really drawn to our old finned beasts.

But of course, a perfect-in-every-way Bel Air won the class. It was a beauty, I have to admit, and the two "handlers" were super nice guys.

Oh well, I got to sit in a FAB new Bentley 'vert, and a new McLaren, which was grrrreat. I can dream...

The next day, we attended a Mopar fun show at one of the Chrysler plants in Kokomo, Indiana, where we saw tons of wonderful muscle cars, both classic and modern. I saw a '33 and a '54 DeSoto tucked away at different ends of the field, but never found the owners. At the end of the show, most of the old and new muscle cars burned rubber as they left the grounds, which was loud, and I gotta admit, rather impressive. The Chargers and the Vipers really went for it. I guess the local cops turn a blind eye to this annual event.

We saw a couple of other finned Mopars at this show, and got to speak to their owners.

But the DeSoto was a real crowd pleaser, and we heard the usual comments about how rarely a finned Mopar is seen, and how they really stand out from the crowd. They seem to draw the attention of men, women, and children alike. It is a real boost when so many folks take the time to come over and say how much they enjoyed seeing a rare-ish FL car, and thank us for taking the time and effort it takes to take it to a public event.

I left the show grounds in a more stately fashion than did the muscle cars, but I did manage to get some cheers, waves, and thumbs up.

A great car-focused weekend, over all. My favourite sort of summer weekend!

Edited by FIN ME 2017-08-28 11:25 AM
finsruskw
Posted 2017-08-28 1:42 PM (#547201 - in reply to #546563)

Expert

Sounds like a great show and you got the kudos the car deserved.
Wish I had gotten a picture of that sign at the 'rare' 57 bow tie display.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)