The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

last year I asked if anyone wanted to see hydorboost power brakes
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Brakes, Wheels and TiresMessage format

udoittwo
Posted 2017-07-04 9:30 AM (#543502)
Subject: last year I asked if anyone wanted to see hydorboost power brakes

Expert

I ordered the complete set up for $1200 in May of 2016. I thought it was too mcuh but I was getting desperate. I dealt with the garage that sold me the idea for over a year. I never heard so many different excuses in my life but they just kept saying it was being shipped, ect. I really was in no hurry but a whole year and I finally said I wanted my money back. This went back and forth for a couple months. I said the next time you hear from me, it will be thought a legal letter. FINALLY she cut me a check. I was in real bad shape for my medications, so I bought them against that check which of course bounced. I got a lawyer and that cost me money but I finally got my money. I KNOW I am a gullible, patient, and trusting person and it cost me again.

I found a company that sells a hydroboost units. These are brand new Bosch units. Again, for anyone that hasn't heard of them, hydroboost is a P. brake set up that uses the P.S. pump for pressure. You simply run a high pressure hose from the P.S. pump, to the hydroboost and through to the steering unit and then low pressure return lines. It provides fasted, higher, and more consistant pressure than a vacuum and doesn't take any power away from the motor like stealing vacuum may or fade. They are smaller than vacuum P.B. set ups.

The company is called SPEED. They list NEW not rebuilt units for 1955[maybe earlier?] and up MOPARs. The unit cost $450 and I think they sell universal hose kits also but you could probably build your own at a machine shop. Right off hand, I can't remember how to find them exactally but if curious, Google "speed hydroboost brake" or something similar. Unfortunately, I am not a wealthy person but when I can save up a few more $s after my vacation, I will be purchasing one.

later,
Karl.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
56D500boy
Posted 2017-07-04 10:29 AM (#543507 - in reply to #543502)
Subject: RE: last year I asked if anyone wanted to see hydorboost power brakes

Expert 5K+

Karl: You should know that a bunch of Audi's used that type of power brake system. I have that on my 93 Audi S4 turbo five cylinder and my 1994 Audi S4 V8 avant (wagon). Lots of owners of these cars eventually decide to switch to vacuum systems from other Audis, e.g. 92-97 Audi 100/A6s with V6 engines, when the components of the hydraulic system, e.g. the high pressure (3000 psi) pump and the pressure accumulator start to fail.

Some info about the Audi hydraulic brake booster systems that I wrote: http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/25095.phtml

There is no magic bullet.

58coupe
Posted 2017-07-04 10:49 AM (#543508 - in reply to #543502)
Subject: Re: last year I asked if anyone wanted to see hydorboost power brakes

Expert

I have an 86 Chev suburban sitting in my yard with hydroboost brakes. very common with the diesel powered trucks. Ford used a similar setup on their T-bird supercoupes. AFAIK these systems are pretty dependable. BTW using a little vacuum from the engine uses less power than turning a hydraulic pump.
56D500boy
Posted 2017-07-04 11:41 AM (#543511 - in reply to #543508)

Expert 5K+

58coupe - 2017-07-04 10:49 AM I have an 86 Chev suburban sitting in my yard with hydroboost brakes. very common with the diesel powered trucks. Ford used a similar setup on their T-bird supercoupes. AFAIK these systems are pretty dependable. BTW using a little vacuum from the engine uses less power than turning a hydraulic pump.

I think you will find that the common feature of the factory hydraulic boost power brake systems is that they are used (mostly) on turbo-charged engines (like the diesels and the supercoupe). It's hard to make vacuum when the turbo has kicked in an you are making 26 psig boost (in my Audi's case).

57chizler
Posted 2017-07-04 3:13 PM (#543518 - in reply to #543502)
Subject: RE: last year I asked if anyone wanted to see hydorboost power brakes

Expert

http://www.powerbrakeservice.net/
udoittwo
Posted 2017-07-08 5:44 AM (#543742 - in reply to #543508)

Expert

True about the pump drawing more power from the motor than vacuum. I'm not going to add a pump, I allready have P.S. and the pump is working anyway and the hydroboost doesn't require any more from the pump. Besides, at the moment you are braking, I guess more engine performance isn't all that relavant?

I had a 57 Chevy with P.B.s and I remember very well, one time I hit the brakes hard and then hit them again and the second time, I lost power. That is my only knowledge of loosing power by using up the vacuum but acording to all I've read, it can happen with a vacuum unit but won't with the P.S. pump. Honestly, I only know what I've read and haven't been in that situation but that one time. I guess, moving from the gas to the brake causes the motor performance to drop along with the vacuum and the pump will keep pumping?

I only know about this in what I have read. I have not switched to hydroboost but what I have read, makes it more interesting to me. Like anything, I am sure there are good and bad stories but all that I have read makes it look like a good system. Personally I can not defend or debate it because I have no personal experience but I would like to see if I can find some sort of brake system for my Suburban that will make it stop.

Edited by udoittwo 2017-07-08 6:15 AM
51coronet
Posted 2017-07-08 11:32 AM (#543753 - in reply to #543502)

Extreme Veteran

Karl is your brake system currently a stock set up? I am sure there are some straight forward options out there that will get that thing to stop. May I ask what vehicle you are working with and what you are willing to do with the brake system other than a hydro boost? In my opinion since brakes play such a huge role in safety one should not be shy of mods that will make the brakes work better and more reliable.

For the price of that hydroboost you can have a vacuum style booster and dual reservoir master that fits. If your concern is robbing vacuum that will cause the engine to stall well then there may be bigger problems to tackle.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)