The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Torque converter poly 318/CI torqueflite
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Transmission and Rear AxleMessage format

wim 59dodge
Posted 2017-06-22 6:19 AM (#542618)
Subject: Torque converter poly 318/CI torqueflite

Hi, I am going to use a 1961 poly 318 with CI torqueflite(direct crank bolt) in my 59 dodge, in January I brought the converter to a rebuildshop here in Holland, but now after 5 months! I know they can't rebuild it... Anyone tips what to do now?? I like to buy another one (prefer rebuild) or NOS, but they are not easy to find.. A friend of me has a spare but we don't know if it is working properly..

Thanks for any help,

Wim
Top of the page Bottom of the page
51coronet
Posted 2017-06-23 4:33 PM (#542731 - in reply to #542618)
Subject: Re: Torque converter poly 318/CI torqueflite

Extreme Veteran

There are some shops in USA that rebuild them. I know shipping will be costly but it will get done. I was looking into this when mine got stolen but I found a working used one from a parts collector/seller.

This is also why I am going to install a late model overdrive transmission. Parts are readily available as well as upgraded heavy duty parts.
grunau
Posted 2017-06-24 1:31 PM (#542785 - in reply to #542618)
Subject: RE: Torque converter poly 318/CI torqueflite

Extreme Veteran

Hi
How do you know that the Torque convertor you have needs rebuilding? Generally if the transmission that it was attached to suffered a failure where "basic wear" friction material particles etc. was circulated through the system the usual course of action at one time was to flush the convertor, we did have machines to do this , however, if the failure was severe with an abundance of friction and heavy metallic particles then a flushing machine would not do the job and the convertor would require replacement. IF you are dealing with a basic trans rebuild and its' cost prohibitive to send the convertor back to the US for rebuilding I would hand flush the convertor , check the operation of the sprag clutch and give it a try.
Contrary to most of the "modern" trans shops converters are not automatically kaput from a transmission failure.
The convertor you have has a drain plug---drain it and see what comes out. If fluid is relatively clean, you may not have a significantlly contaminated converter and I would say its worth a try to hand flush.
To hand flush you'll need the to take the input shaft and stator support (reaction shaft) (from the trans) and insert them into the converter to catch the splines of the impeller and the stator. Fill converter with a 50-50 mix of petroleum based solvent and trans fluid as much as possible and then turn shafts by hand while draining converter. Do this until the drain runs clear then fully drain the convertor , you may have to tilt it around a bit and turn the shafts to do this, then add a few liters of fluid , remove the input shaft and try to turn the reaction shaft both ways you'll find that it will (or should) only turn in one direction if it does that then the sprag clutch is good and you're good to go.
I tend to be a touch more "practical" in my approach which comes from 40+ years experience with Automatics....
57chizler
Posted 2017-06-24 2:34 PM (#542789 - in reply to #542785)
Subject: RE: Torque converter poly 318/CI torqueflite

Expert

I used to deal with a converter rebuild shop located in the same complex with a transmission shop I used to deal with that has a converter flushing machine. This subject came up and they decided to do a test, the converter was "cleaned" by a solvent flushing machine and then cut open to find lots of debris still trapped in there. Centrifugal force throws the debris into the outer corner where it packs solid; logic holds that fresh fluid has a detergent effect and will loosen trapped debris.

Rebuild shops use a caustic cleaner that gets it all.
wim 59dodge
Posted 2017-06-29 2:26 AM (#543099 - in reply to #542618)

Hi, the converter is back from the shop, I brought it to them because I thought it was the best to let it rebuild, didn't now at that time what the condition of the converter was. I really need another one now, because they cut it open and that is how it is now....

Thanks for the reply's

wim
Mopar1
Posted 2017-07-02 1:17 PM (#543367 - in reply to #543099)

Expert

If you can find a small block 727, "Wayfarer" here on the Board sells 392 to 727 adaptor kits that will work on your engine, use a 426 Hemi flex plate.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)