The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

First DAB+ Digital Radio Conversion for a Chrysler 300F
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> 1955-1961 Forward Look MoPar General DiscussionMessage format

DGV Electronics
Posted 2017-06-20 4:40 PM (#542530)
Subject: First DAB+ Digital Radio Conversion for a Chrysler 300F

New User

Around June 2016, I was asked by the European forward look owners about the digital radio also called DAB+. At that time I received information and opinions from several members, but it was Dieter who really kept the thread at float. All the forum members opinions made me realized how important the DAB+ radio is for Europeans.

I purchased a PCB capable of DAB+ and did some lab tests and I realized that doing a DAB+ conversion was actually possible. I contacted Dieter with the good news and he didn’t hesitate to trust his rare model “Mopar 402” 7 pushbutton radio to my shop for this special conversion and shipped it all the way from Switzerland to the US.

Many technical challenges keep us at a slow pace on the prototype, such some spaces restrictions. In the end the incredibly complex DAB+ electronics was the greater challenge to overcome. But, this process has allowed our shop to learn how to do these conversions in the future.

When I finally completed the prototype and tested all the functions for several days, everything worked perfectly. The only thing I couldn’t test (as the video shows) was the DAB+ frequency, since digital radio still are not available in USA. That part of the testing was reserved for Dieter and the radio had to travel all the way from the US to Swiss alps to finally make the DAB+ part of the conversion fully functional. After some adjusting at home, Dieter at last completed my work and had the privilege of being the first person in the world to hear a 300F radio with DAB+.

To the best of my knowledge, my radio shop is the only in the US that offers DAB+ as a option for any radio conversion, so I have to thank the people who made this possible, with special thanks to Dieter who put his confidence in my shop and kept a in constant contact for input on the radio design. Also, special thanks to my friend and colleague, the Electronic Engineer professor Luis Portillo, whose invaluable technical advice also made this radio a reality. Lastly, how can I forget my wife Mary for her saintly patience and help with this and all my previous conversions.

This is no doubt the most complex conversion we have ever done, using intricate handmade hardware to seamlessly blend the original 7 pushbutton with the latest digital radio technology.

Some of the features are:
-Digital FM with RDS, DAB+, AUX input and Bluetooth
-Left inner knob, controls the volume and On/OFF.
-Left outer knob control the balance.
-7 functional pushbuttons for standby, memories, mode and source.
-Right inner knob is the rotary encoder to navigate through the on-screen menus.
-Right outer knob controls the bass.

Here are some pictures of the final product and a short video of just a few of the many settings on this extraordinary digital radio.

Denis

Edited by DGV Electronics 2017-06-20 9:06 PM

(SAM_1056c.jpg)

(SAM_1052b.jpg)

(SAM_1056b.jpg)

(night2.jpg)

(night.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments SAM_1056c.jpg (82KB - 104 downloads)
Attachments SAM_1052b.jpg (82KB - 110 downloads)
Attachments SAM_1056b.jpg (127KB - 108 downloads)
Attachments night2.jpg (27KB - 114 downloads)
Attachments night.jpg (8KB - 116 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
imopar380
Posted 2017-06-20 11:12 PM (#542550 - in reply to #542530)
Subject: Re: First DAB+ Digital Radio Conversion for a Chrysler 300F

Expert 5K+

Amazing as usual, Denis!
wizard
Posted 2017-06-21 2:42 AM (#542559 - in reply to #542530)

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

Very nice Denis, I know the owner and will perhaps see the radio in the future.
di_ch_NY56
Posted 2017-06-21 6:09 AM (#542564 - in reply to #542530)
Subject: RE: First DAB+ Digital Radio Conversion for a Chrysler 300F

Expert

Thanks a lot and big hugs for your effort to convert my radio. We both know what we were going through to solve some very advanced technical solutions. The radio works perfect in all modes you described and we agreed together. For sure my radio will be a lighthouse and a reference for possible future conversions.

Happy Restoring!

Dieter

matte
Posted 2017-06-21 6:20 PM (#542591 - in reply to #542530)

Elite Veteran

Denis thank you for the PM acknowledging the what I would say the tiny input I passed on. (European and Australian DAB)

That truly looks fantastic and what it offers is a very big plus. I love the bluetooth function as well.. I bet you were a little frustrated with not able to test the DAB but would of been a thrill for Dieter. I'm surprised the US doesn't have full digital services but I guess it won't be long.

Thumbs up to you mate. Good work and accomplishment.

hemidenis
Posted 2017-06-21 8:52 PM (#542603 - in reply to #542530)

Expert

thanks a lot guys, it was a pretty a big accomplishment, it reminds me of the RCA record player conversion.

More challenges ahead, I'm finishing a 1957 DeSoto with LCD screen and soon i'm going to start in a 1963 Corvette split window, another first prototype.

I always try to get permission from the owners but no all, of them want their radios displayed on the net.
hemidenis
Posted 2017-06-21 9:00 PM (#542604 - in reply to #542530)

Expert

Matt, the introduction of digital TV was a headache and very expensive for the government, I doubt we will ever get DAB+ in here specially when almost everybody I know has unlimited cellphone data to play whatever you want over the car speakers.

Me, for example, my cell is connected to my DVR at home using an APP, so I can watch or listening to my recording (sports, news, movies) and even 800 channels of live TV anywhere I go..Pretty amazing..
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)