The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Power steering pump Dodge 1957
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Steering and SuspensionMessage format

moparwannabe
Posted 2017-05-29 2:06 PM (#541137)
Subject: Power steering pump Dodge 1957

Regular

Hi all! Im new in the FL family since i just bought a 1957 Dodge Royal Lancer 2door HT with a 325 2bl. The steering is a bit woobly and there are som "hard spots" when i turn the wheels. It doesnt leak, exept a small amount that escapes through thr cap. There is a play when you pull the pulley in/out of about 5 mm. Im thinking about if i should rebuild the pump or replace it. But the problem is that i cant find any parts or replacements for it. I cant even figure out what type of pump it is. When i search the web, the pumps i find does not look like mine. The one in the service manual for Dodge '57 also looks different. Can anyone help me identify my pump?

(Skkkrmklipp.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Skkkrmklipp.JPG (60KB - 181 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
mikes2nd
Posted 2017-05-29 3:00 PM (#541139 - in reply to #541137)
Subject: Re: Power steering pump Dodge 1957

Expert 5K+

there were three pumps(two Thompson, other is a goofy looking vickers), that is a Thompson. Type 1 Thompson looks like a revolver type(used very short time and not really serviceable, the other is a rotor type and rebuildable).

Thompson types have a "small nut" on the pulley or a "big nut" on the pulley. If you have a small nut you have the revolver type, big nut is the rotor type.

And I don't want to say the revolver type isn't "serviceable", it is, there are only a few seals though, its more of a "metal on metal" type of pump where if it goes its "gone" and you have to replace the housing or the internal revolver parts. its not just seals and gaskets.

A guy just posted a thread about using to thick of power steering fluid also which can cause spitting.

I don't think any pump should move in and out like that though.

I think your on the right track rebuilding the pump though since you might as well make sure that is in tip top shape before starting on the steering gear.

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=11168&...

mikes2nd
Posted 2017-05-29 3:03 PM (#541140 - in reply to #541137)

Expert 5K+

I think there were also "federal" pumps but I think they showed up later?

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=57937&...thompson

moparwannabe
Posted 2017-05-29 3:21 PM (#541142 - in reply to #541140)

Regular

Thanks Mike! It looks like the Thompson on the photos in the link you posted. Ill chek what type of nut there is on the pulley axle tomorrow. I found this on the web from a Dodge Monaco '65 and thought it looked the same:) But then i have to keep looking for parts for a Thompson (or replacement).

(Skkkrmklipp2.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Skkkrmklipp2.JPG (70KB - 161 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)