The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Power steering problems
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Steering and SuspensionMessage format

Chrome58
Posted 2017-05-28 2:02 PM (#541055)
Subject: Power steering problems

Expert

I've got a Constant Control Power Steering pump on my '58 Plymouth.
It was rebuild recently using a kit bought on eBay (mainly gaskets).

But I've got several problems :
- The steering groans and moans when turning the steering wheel, with added vibrations, and sometimes (though rarely) a hard spot
- The oil keep squirting from the small hole in the cap of the reservoir, whatever the level in the reservoir
- There's a constant leak, giving several drops on the floor, when the car is in my garage

The oil level is correct (at cold) but I do need to add some now and then due to the fact that the oil squirts from the cap (I use a Dexron III type oil).

The groaning and moaning are generally linked to air in the system, and that would be consistent with the constant leak.
But the squirting is another thing : it might be the pressure relief valve acting eratically, but I fail to see why ...

Top of the page Bottom of the page
wizard
Posted 2017-05-28 4:16 PM (#541061 - in reply to #541055)
Subject: Re: Power steering problems

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

From your description, I think that you have adjusted the steering gear too Heavy, or with the steering gear out of center position.
In this case, it's very plausible that the pump "pukes" fluid and overheats as well.

The transmission fluid you are using is kind of ok, but the pump will work better with power steering fluid https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=79&pcid=27

Try first of all to raise up the car, center the steering wheel and back off the adjuster.

I had a '59 Dodge in the garage last week with an issue that gave the same type of problems.
Chrome58
Posted 2017-05-30 4:31 AM (#541179 - in reply to #541061)

Expert

Thanks Sven for your answer.

You're talking about the adjusting screw on the top of the power steering ? (see picture).

About the oil, reading again the FSM, it appears the type needed is "Type A", the same as used in automatic transmission.
So, indeed, Dexron III might have too much viscosity, I could replace it with the ATF mineral oil (Dexron II type) I use in the Torqueflite.

One question though, how do I purge the current oil ?

(Adjusting screw.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Adjusting screw.png (84KB - 323 downloads)
wizard
Posted 2017-05-30 5:17 AM (#541180 - in reply to #541055)

Hi Vincent, yes, that's the adjusting screw. There should be roundabout 3-5 centimeters of free play in the steering wheel until you start the engine - then the free play will be next to non.

The old FSM recommends use of transmission fluid, but a modern power steering fluid is better by far.

First of all, the fluid level in the pump should be just covering the internal pump housing - not up in the filler neck.

I use an oil change pump, manual, pneumatic or electric for to suck out the fluid. Once the pump seems empty, start the engine very short and suck out the rest.

Then I wash out the last of the old fluid with new fluid and suck it out.

Fill up the pump with new fluid and start the engine - turn full steering wheel turns, left and right until the air is out.
Chrome58
Posted 2017-05-30 11:40 AM (#541198 - in reply to #541180)

Expert

wizard - 2017-05-30 11:17 AM

Hi Vincent, yes, that's the adjusting screw. There should be roundabout 3-5 centimeters of free play in the steering wheel until you start the engine - then the free play will be next to non.

Is that the desired situation AFTER the correct adjustment ? Or is it the starting situation ?
Because at the moment, I have 3-5 centimeters free play in the steering wheel at all times (engine on or off).

I just read the complete adjustment procedure in the FSM.
It does seem long and complicated, but I'm willing to give it a try.
wizard
Posted 2017-05-30 12:28 PM (#541200 - in reply to #541055)

Well, yes Vincent. normally there's a lot of freeplay in those steering gears without the servo power.

The first operation is to overtighten the sector gear so that there's no free play there.
The rest is to set the correct free play.

Don't forget that this must be done with the wheels lifted up and the steering gear in the dead center.

Chrome58
Posted 2017-06-17 9:30 AM (#542344 - in reply to #541055)

Expert

I haven't had the time yet to do those adjustments, but there's another symptom I saw : at idling, with no one at the wheel, the pressure hose is shaking and vibrating.
When I put my hand on it, I feel a regular pulse, like the power steering pump is sending shots of pressure.

PS : I talked about the adjusting screw to a mechanic, he said to me "do NOT touch that, it's used to adjust the gears position within the steering box, and should be left alone".
wizard
Posted 2017-06-17 4:07 PM (#542364 - in reply to #541055)

Vincent, if the screw is too much screwed in, then you get simular problems.

Practically, it means that the worm gear will be binding on turns.

Now, read the fsm and perform this adjustment first of all.

Or, just beleive what your mechanic told you, perhaps he has better insight than me, after all I have only renovated some during the years

Chrome58
Posted 2017-06-18 12:05 PM (#542406 - in reply to #541055)

Expert

Sven, I wasn't being disrespectful, I was merely relaying what a mechanic told me, in the hope that you (or someone else) would correct it and/or explain it to me.
I know what's written in the FSM, I will perform the adjustment as soon as I can.
wizard
Posted 2017-06-18 12:24 PM (#542407 - in reply to #541055)

Good Vincent - then we can soon rule that out, or confirm that it was the problem.
di_ch_NY56
Posted 2017-06-18 2:13 PM (#542409 - in reply to #541055)
Subject: RE: Power steering problems

Expert

Just my experience with the steering gear and servo pump with my 1956 Chrysler New Yorker after I removed the bad working steering gear: It's ways not enough to check if the steering wheel is in center position. The tooth segment could be out of the middle position due to misadjusted tie rod adjusting sleeves. That I noticed when I installed the restored steering gear (done by Lares) from John (Big M).

My practice was to turn the steering gear (with no steering linkage connected to not to get wrong end positions from the stops at the front suspension) from full stop LH to full stop RH to elaborate the correct center point. Then I connected the steering linkage and adjusted the adjusting sleeves until both wheels where in straight forward position with the correct toe-in. After one or two test rides the Beast (my 1956 NY) went straight when the steering wheel was in the center position.

Happy Restoring!

Dieter

Chrome58
Posted 2019-04-25 2:02 PM (#581352 - in reply to #541061)

Expert

wizard - 2017-05-28 10:16 PM

From your description, I think that you have adjusted the steering gear too Heavy, or with the steering gear out of center position.
In this case, it's very plausible that the pump "pukes" fluid and overheats as well.

The transmission fluid you are using is kind of ok, but the pump will work better with power steering fluid https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=79&pcid=27

Try first of all to raise up the car, center the steering wheel and back off the adjuster.

I had a '59 Dodge in the garage last week with an issue that gave the same type of problems.

Sven,

I took me 2 years to finally try to do that adjustment.
I did it this weekend.

Wheels off the ground, engine running : no self-centering towards left or right, which leads me to believe that the valve body is correctly positioned.
I backed off the adjusting screw by 3 turns, but I failed to see a real difference so far ... I'll drive like this a little bit more, than I'll back off the adjusting screw again if necessary.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)