The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hemi starter stays engaged after start button is released.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Electrical, Battery and ChargingMessage format

Leadfoot1000
Posted 2017-05-14 11:12 PM (#540038)
Subject: Hemi starter stays engaged after start button is released.

Veteran

My starter stays energized/engaged after start button is released or even after the engine starts. So my first thought is a bad relay, replaced it and the problem persists. Ok, so a new solenoid isn't a bad idea anyway, so I replace it and checked the return spring, problem continues. To troubleshoot, while the engine was cranking (against my wishes) I removed the ignition wire from the relay, no effect, then I put a test light on the solenoid terminal of the relay, it was hot. So it seemed like the relay contacts are sticking closed ($10 relay), so I replaced the relay again, and still have the same problem and test results.

Could the starter bendex be "stuck" in the flywheel, keeping the solenoid contacts closed, sending current back through the solenoid wire, and giving me a false positive reading at the relay solenoid terminal? If yes, maybe I could elongate one of the starter mounting holes to rotate the bendex gear slightly away from the flywheel? 57 392. Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
billy
Posted 2017-05-16 2:16 PM (#540164 - in reply to #540038)
Subject: Re: Hemi starter stays engaged after start button is released.

Extreme Veteran

Steve,
I have same issue...it usually presents itself when my battery is low. I"ve had my starter rebuilt at least 3 times...It kept filling up with water, now i think i fixed that problem, but if the battery is low and i turn it over, after i release the push button it keeps cranking...then it either starts or draws the battrey down lower and lower and I have to scramble to un hook it...I've probably melted 2 or 3 positive cables over the years...I don't have the answer but I feel your pain...thanks for posting, hopefully we'll get some hits on how to fix..
billy
57 Chrysler New Yorker Sedan
b5rt
Posted 2017-05-16 7:51 PM (#540191 - in reply to #540038)

Expert

I do not know a thing about the push button Neutral switch but on another car I would suspect the ignition switch.
LD3 Greg
Posted 2017-05-17 12:09 AM (#540213 - in reply to #540038)
Subject: RE: Hemi starter stays engaged after start button is released.

Expert

Leadfoot1000 - 2017-05-14 11:12 PM

My starter stays energized/engaged after start button is released or even after the engine starts. So my first thought is a bad relay, replaced it and the problem persists. Ok, so a new solenoid isn't a bad idea anyway, so I replace it and checked the return spring, problem continues. To troubleshoot, while the engine was cranking (against my wishes) I removed the ignition wire from the relay, no effect, then I put a test light on the solenoid terminal of the relay, it was hot. So it seemed like the relay contacts are sticking closed ($10 relay), so I replaced the relay again, and still have the same problem and test results.

Could the starter bendex be "stuck" in the flywheel, keeping the solenoid contacts closed, sending current back through the solenoid wire, and giving me a false positive reading at the relay solenoid terminal? If yes, maybe I could elongate one of the starter mounting holes to rotate the bendex gear slightly away from the flywheel? 57 392. Thanks

I would suspect the vacuum switch. Just bypass it and see what happens.

Greg
Powerflite
Posted 2017-05-17 1:19 PM (#540241 - in reply to #540038)

Expert 5K+

It sounds like 2 problems. Greg is right, that your vacuum switch should shut down the starter once the motor starts. So you should check and replace that if it isn't doing it's job. But it could be that the engaged starter is preventing the motor from developing very much vacuum to make the switch. Also, the switch on the back side of the push buttons is a little button that gets pushed in to energize the relay. This switch definitely has a tendency to get stuck. So you probably need to replace or repair that as well. It probably requires removing the push button assembly.
Leadfoot1000
Posted 2017-05-17 8:25 PM (#540283 - in reply to #540241)

Veteran

Thanks for the tips guys, but please remember that while the starter was engaged I disconnected the ignition wire from the relay and the starter stayed engaged, removing that wire eliminates both the push button and vacuum switches from the equation as they serve as "interrupters" in the circuit between the relay and battery. I think I will try to find a new solenoid return spring, and get a new starter, I won't mind having a spare anyway, mine has been abused. I'll let you know how it works out.
rebel
Posted 2017-06-05 12:40 PM (#541558 - in reply to #540283)

Extreme Veteran

I think you are on the right track. If the solenoid drive return spring is weak or if the bendix/drive is hanging up in the flywheel, it will continue to crank because the solenoid contacts are still engaged. The engagement wire/contact only activates the magnetic windings and pulls the solenoid in/engaged.
If the starter has been hot, ie: battery cable melted, the disengagement spring has most likely been hot and very weak, hence it won't pull the drive back out of the flywheel. On the other hand, if the bendix/drive bushing is dry or the armature shaft "galled", the bendix/drive can hang up and not return properly.
I don't think I would go so far as elongating the starter mount holes. I think a very close inspection of the complete starter assembly would be my first choice.
Good luck.
Bob
Leadfoot1000
Posted 2017-08-18 5:07 PM (#546495 - in reply to #540038)

Veteran

So I bought a rebuilt starter from Hot Hemi Heads and it came with a new solenoid. I installed it and the problem persisted. So since all tests that I've done indicate that the relay contacts are staying closed I decided to try a third new relay, but this time I bought an NOS original Standard Ignition brand for $70 off epay. (Remember that I already tried two new Chinese ones that were $10 each. I appears the problem is now solved as I've cranked and started the engine several times now with no issues. The engine also cranks faster now with the starter from Hemi Heads, so that's a bonus. Moral of the story, cheap parts from China are garbage. I didn't imagine two would be defective, but they are. My two garbage relays came from Van's Auto on Epay, beware out there.
Powerflite
Posted 2017-08-18 7:39 PM (#546507 - in reply to #540038)

Expert 5K+

Thanks for the warning. Did you take a picture of that starter from Hot Heads? I would like to see what they are like.
Leadfoot1000
Posted 2017-08-22 7:45 PM (#546763 - in reply to #546507)

Veteran

I took one photo while it was still in the box due to minor transit damage of the solenoid, it was not enough to warrant sending it back though.

(FullSizeRender.jpg)

(FullSizeRender.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments FullSizeRender.jpg (87KB - 170 downloads)
Attachments FullSizeRender.jpg (89KB - 203 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)