The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

'58 Plymouth turn signal switch
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Electrical, Battery and ChargingMessage format

bdpt109
Posted 2017-05-02 6:51 PM (#539308)
Subject: '58 Plymouth turn signal switch

I've searched the forums to see if I can find a primer on this turn signal, but I can't seem to find it. My apologies if this has already been covered. I'm having issues with my turn signals/stop switch. Making a left turn is not an issue, the signal on the drivers side works as advertised. Making a right turn, however...I cannot get the turn signal handle to return fully to the "neutral" position after making a turn. That is to say, the handle recoils, but both the turn signal and brake light extinguish. The switch is neither activating the turn signal, nor does it allow the passenger side brake light to illuminate until you physically pull the handle further down towards the floor. Needless to say, this is not only extremely annoying, but also disconcerting, as I never know if the brake light is illuminated or not. I've tried messing with the switch assembly to try and adjust the play to no avail. Can somebody point me in the right direction? Does it have something to do with the tension of the hair spring on the right side? Is it even assembled correctly? (My first time messing with it.) Thanks folks!

(IMG_4262.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_4262.JPG (112KB - 178 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
LD3 Greg
Posted 2017-05-02 10:29 PM (#539336 - in reply to #539308)
Subject: RE: '58 Plymouth turn signal switch

Expert

I think it has to do with the tab mounted under the steering wheel as it contacts either of the spring loaded arms on the left side of your pic. Maybe try to slightly bend the tab outwards. I have also had luck loosening and centering the assembly.

Maybe someone could chime in on this.

Greg
grunau
Posted 2017-05-03 8:15 AM (#539355 - in reply to #539336)
Subject: Re: '58 Plymouth turn signal switch

Extreme Veteran

Hi
The switch in my '58 was "balky" as well I removed the switch and cleaned and relubed the pivots etc. in particular I found old lube that was closer to glue in the cavity used to operate the switch itself. I removed the switch assembly from the casting and cleaned all of that up ...I even took the switch apart and burnished the contacts, cleaned the contact springs and so on. I relubed the switch with white grease (lubriplate). I did that about 10 years ago still works great.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)