The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tank straps for 56 savoy
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> General Technical Discussion and TroubleshootingMessage format

Gunbunny119
Posted 2017-04-27 4:23 PM (#539004)
Subject: Tank straps for 56 savoy

Had the fuel tank done on my 56 savoy and the stock straps are toast. I'm not seeing any straps for my car specifically, so I'm gonna get close and make them work. Have you guys done this, and what car did you get straps from? They never show the specs on the straps (length,etc) so I'm left guessing which straps to try based on photos alone. I was thinking about a set from a 55 ford, but who knows. Surely someone has done this already and could help a brother out.

Edited by Gunbunny119 2017-04-27 4:25 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jboymechanic
Posted 2017-04-27 5:07 PM (#539006 - in reply to #539004)
Subject: RE: Tank straps for 56 savoy

Expert

Do the straps have a stud riveted on at one end and a hook or "T" on the other? If so, just drill out the rivets and keep the ends and make new straps and rivet or bolt your original ends on. Did this with my 1956 Imperial.

(Imperial tank straps.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Imperial tank straps.jpg (159KB - 152 downloads)
Gunbunny119
Posted 2017-04-28 4:37 PM (#539066 - in reply to #539006)
Subject: RE: Tank straps for 56 savoy

it is certainly the type of setup you described. They hang on the front by the hook and have the riveted studs at the end. Unfortunately, the studs snapped upon removal and the riveted anchors are bent 90 degrees, so it appears none of the rear mounting hardware can be salvaged. I got some aftermarket universal straps that I could make work, but they have holes drilled all the way down and look like something I'd use to hang a garage door opener with. I may end up fabricating the new strap to the old ones and use the supplied j-hooks to mate it to the trunk floor. Kind of ghetto, but it will work. This is a rat cruiser, so I should obsess on asthetics so much, but it makes my skin crawl doing jury rig work, even if the car is rusted and multi-color. There's never a time when ghetto mechanic work is warranted in my book lol.
jboymechanic
Posted 2017-05-03 12:12 PM (#539375 - in reply to #539004)
Subject: Re: Tank straps for 56 savoy

Expert

I agree 100%, do it once and do it right. I checked my inventory of spares and I don't have any other straps or strap ends. Perhaps Big M could help you out?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)