The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Leaky Fuel Filler Neck
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Engine, Exhaust, Fuel and IgnitionMessage format

bdpt109
Posted 2017-04-13 9:54 AM (#538032)
Subject: Leaky Fuel Filler Neck

Okay--this may be a stupid simple matter of common sense mechanic-ing, but seeing as I've screwed it up already, I need advice. I recently had to drop the gas tank from my 58 Belvedere (it's not the original tank, but I'm under the impression it is an OE style tank) for cleaning, sending unit recalibration and a sock filter replacement. I had everything buttoned up, and had 10 gallons put into the tank from a gas can. Success! Right? No leaks! Well, on our first trip to the gas station, apparently the tank became overfilled (oops) and started leaking (for lack of a better word) from the attachment point of the filler neck to the tank. One very long and messy process later, I was able to get the car home and drain about 5 gallons from the tank to keep it from leaking at a stand still. (I left behind one very cranky gas station manager) So here's my question: can somebody tell me exactly how the filler tube locks into the tank? I found that there was no rubber washer on the end of the tube when I removed the tank, but I found one floating around inside the tank, and I assumed that it belonged on the end of the filler neck. Is this a tank that is supposed to have a clamp on the joint from the neck to the tank, or is it simply wedged inside with a washer? Like I said, I feel really dumb over this whole ordeal, but I'd like to get it right at some point! Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
58coupe
Posted 2017-04-13 10:22 AM (#538035 - in reply to #538032)
Subject: Re: Leaky Fuel Filler Neck

Expert

There is a large o-ring that seals the tube at the tank, probably what you found floating inside. These might be available from Gary Goers.
fin junkie
Posted 2017-04-13 1:25 PM (#538049 - in reply to #538032)

Regular

Here the thread with the O-ring info. The O-ring gets inserted into the tank first. Spray the filler tube with WD40 before installing so it doesn't push the O-ring into the tank.

http://forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=45419&post...

Skelly1958
Posted 2017-05-13 5:13 PM (#539967 - in reply to #538049)

Regular

I recently learned I have the same issue with my '58 Belvedere. I just ordered some o-rings from the link posted above. I'm curious what the best process is to do this replacement. Do I have to drop the tank or can the tube be pulled up out of the tank by removing the screws around the housing behind the fuel filler door?

Thanks,
Shawn
57chizler
Posted 2017-05-14 4:06 PM (#540019 - in reply to #538049)

Expert

The folks who sell those O rings evidently follow the aircraft numbering system, aircraft O rings with the proper dimension are available under the following numbers:

AN6227B-32
MS28775-329
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)