The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Alternative to hog-rings plus hint to re-attach OE upholstery to seat frame
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

56D500boy
Posted 2017-04-10 2:22 PM (#537784)
Subject: Alternative to hog-rings plus hint to re-attach OE upholstery to seat frame

Expert 5K+

Yesterday I decided to get rid of the Aftermarket/Factory accessory seat cover that was on the back seat back. Originally it would have looked quite nice but time and sun (at some point) had burned and cracked the vinyl on the top of the seat cover. It was time for it to go and let me see what was under there (intact but a bit dirty OE upholstery). The seat covers were supposedly "factory" and were hog-ringed onto the frame. As I removed it, I noticed at several points along the bottom of the seat, the OE hog-rings had pulled away from the scrim of the OE upholstery. This "scrim" looks like hemp (chuckle, reefer madness) sacking (see second photo below). It was doubled-over and hemmed at the final edge. This is where the hog-rings grabbed the OE upholstery and, originally, held it tight to the frame. In a few places, this scrim had torn. I wanted to fix this but lacking hog-rings and upholstery skills, I figured out a alternative solution: 5" cable ties (as shown below).

That is probably not new to you. What I did with them might (I emphasize *might*) be new: To start, I sacrificed one tie and cut off its "lock". Then I found a suitable location to feed the remaining 5" of the tie *INTO* the tube formed when they hemmed the scrim. Then I inserted at least one new cable tie perpendicularly through the scrim on the other side of the now-reinforced scrim edge and around the seat frame. This pulled the scrim tight to the seat frame. Then I cut off the "tail" of that cable tie and inserted it into the next section of the scrim hem tube and so on until I had the entire bottom of the OE seat upholstery attached firmly and I think safely to the seat frame.

Job done. (a million more to go )

The photo I just added below the tie-wrap reference photo, shows the "hemp sacking" scrim at the end of the upholstery.

Edited by 56D500boy 2017-04-10 4:16 PM

(56DodgeCustomRoyal541TrimCodeUpholsteryTag.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 56DodgeCustomRoyal541TrimCodeUpholsteryTag.jpg (162KB - 118 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)