The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Restorations; How far do you go?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> 1955-1961 Forward Look MoPar General DiscussionMessage format

drosera88
Posted 2017-04-05 6:02 PM (#537452)
Subject: Restorations; How far do you go?

Expert

How far do you go with the restoration of your cars? Are you a perfectionist who will never settle for anything less than a concours level restoration? Are you satisfied with a car, that looks good outwardly, but has some issues that nobody will notice unless they are specifically looking for them? Do you embrace the rust and wear, so long as it runs and drives?

For me I'm in the middle. Outward appearance and reliability are my main goals. I don't show my cars, I drive them.

Edited by drosera88 2017-04-05 6:03 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
56D500boy
Posted 2017-04-05 6:54 PM (#537457 - in reply to #537452)
Subject: RE: Restorations; How far do you go?

Expert 5K+

Just my opinion but if you want to actually drive your car before it is perfect, then don't go for concours level perfection. Besides if you go to that level, you won't want to drive your car once it is done because it might get damaged by a stone, or a leaf or a bug or....

But that is just me. I am shooting for "much better" (than when I bought the car). Anything I remove gets cleaned and painted before it is re-installed and while it (whatever "it" is) is off, if there are opportunities to make improvements, i.e. clean up some surface rust that was hiding behind that part, then I do that (remove the rust and/or convert it with Rust Check Converter, etc. and then paint it with an anti-rust paint).

Eventually I will win. In the meantime, if the day is sunny, I try to get at least a short drive in the car.

Edited by 56D500boy 2017-04-05 9:44 PM
mikes2nd
Posted 2017-04-05 7:47 PM (#537462 - in reply to #537452)
Subject: Re: Restorations; How far do you go?

Expert 5K+

I go to far... I'm stupid.
b5rt
Posted 2017-04-05 9:37 PM (#537464 - in reply to #537452)

Expert

Depends on how the car presents itself. My 69 R/T is a survivorish car with 108,000 miles. Numbers match, 60% original paint, no rust other than trunk floor. Lots of little dings and scratches. I'd like to restore it to concours level but the funds aren't there right now plus I like being able to drive it anywhere, anytime. It's a good old war horse that deserves a proper resto, but it won't be driven much after that happens.

The Adventurer was another animal. Crappy repaint, fairly solid CA car that was well used inside and out. Engine had 110-120 compression but drove ok. The front seat was toast and the whole car had a "good" rat rod vibe going for it but I had other ideas and have been on the journey of doing my first full restoration, which is nearing completion. The trunk floor being 50% gone had a lot to do with the decision, plus I knew the oppurtunity to do it and do it right was Now... that was 5 years ago and I'm glad I did it then as my good paying job went away Nov 2015.

My friends keep asking when I'm getting a trailer. The car's not even "done" yet. LOL. I'll drive it to local shows but if I make the trek to Carlisle it will be on the trailer. I'd have no issue driving the R/T the 800 miles one way other than the 12 mpg it gets.
uncltank
Posted 2017-04-05 11:08 PM (#537468 - in reply to #537452)

Extreme Veteran

I've been told I was anal because I draw a line between 'rebuilt' and 'restored'. To me a restoration is putting a vehicle together as it was originally. I see many beautifully done here on this site. A rebuilt is put together to the individuals wants, likes, Again, many great examples. Both mine will be 'rebuilt' as they were real rust pieces, and I don't have the $ resources.
Viper Guy
Posted 2017-04-06 12:18 AM (#537471 - in reply to #537452)

Expert

I drive but like to have the car as factory original in appearance as possible. I was fortunate to have a great start with my '59 Firesweep. It only has 23000 miles so it's pretty much the way it came from the factory. It has had one re-paint in the factory colors by the first owner and except for the wire wheels, only maintenance items have been replaced. I keep it in top shape and drive about 2000 miles a year. If I have to do anything out of the ordinary in the future, I'll fix it the way I want it and, if possible, the way it came from the factory. However, I will not go out of my way to get factory original spark plug wires, coil, exhaust, filters, hoses, brakes, head lights, tires, steering and suspension, etc. If I can replicate the original close enough, it's fine with me. I get no pleasure having an automobile to not drive and enjoy. And, I firmly believe, others enjoy seeing these fine automobiles out and about as much as I do.

Edited by Viper Guy 2017-04-06 12:21 AM
RUSTORICHES
Posted 2017-04-06 1:32 AM (#537478 - in reply to #537452)

Extreme Veteran

There's an old timer up here in the Edmonton area that brings out his early 70's Chrysler and a big sign that says 'It's Only Original Once' I always smile when I see him and that sign. There's definitely a lot of talent and experience that goes into restoration/rebuilding and repair of these classic cars which we can all be proud of and appreciate. With some no expense spared, others on a limited budget and still others with a custom/restomod a personal discrete touch all of these factors are influenced by a desire to be a small part of a huge social group.I just enjoy those types,where I draw a line is the reproduction solely for resale profit individuals I think they spoil it for the avid car lovers. Enjoy your Car.To quote a good friend of mine "Life.Is Not A Dress Rehearsal "

Edited by RUSTORICHES 2017-04-06 1:36 AM
soiouz
Posted 2017-04-06 7:53 AM (#537481 - in reply to #537462)

Expert

mikes2nd - 2017-04-05 7:47 PM

I go to far... I'm stupid.

Same here.

When I bought my Plymouth last summer, I told everybody that this one I would leave as is except this and that, but that was it...

...of course 8 months later, I almost redid or changed everything on it. It's a mental illness. Really.
Sonoramic60
Posted 2017-04-06 10:20 AM (#537487 - in reply to #537481)

Expert

Lads --
While I definitely enjoy seeing perfectly restored cars as are found in museums such as the National Automotive Museum in Reno (I absolutely salivate over their yellow 1913 Mercer Raceabout with its "monocle windshield") or those beautiful pure hot rods that are at such venues as National Street Rods or Good Guys shows. But in the instances of my own cars I prefer to have them as original as possible, yet very driveable. In fact, I even like to flog them as I did a few weeks ago when I encountered a couple of "tuners," one each in a Lexus and Subaru, at a stop light while I was in my '65 Sport Fury (426-S/4-speed). In the ensuing Stop Light Grand Prix, I got quite a kick when this white-haired old fudd left them emerging from the smoke of burning rubber and roaring exhausts. And there are few driving experiences more enjoyable than going through the gears with a 4-speed on a winding road.
I even had more fun when I took my '65 Vette to a Corvette show and parked it next to a guy with a magnificent '67 big block 427. When we were chatting, I asked him how he got there (it was at a mountain ski resort), he said, "Oh, I didn't drive it here. I had it hauled up here." I thought he was going have an apoplectic fit when I said, "Oh, a trailer queen, huh?"
Car fun comes in different guises. While I definitely like to look at concours cars, I rather like to drive, cruise, and even occasionally hammer mine.
Joe Godec
'57 300C, '60 Fury SonoRamic Commando, '65 Sport Fury (426-S/4-speed), '65 fuel-inject Vette
big m
Posted 2017-04-06 11:12 AM (#537490 - in reply to #537452)

Expert 5K+

I tend to agree with you, Joe.

If I do a body-off resto, or get a presentable survivor roadworthy, they will get much use. That is why we decided to sell the '59 Custom Royal to Clive in the U.K. It sat in the carport more than being used, and cars just don't seem to like that.

---John
sidesho_bob1961
Posted 2017-04-06 1:32 PM (#537496 - in reply to #537452)

Expert

I just won an AACA Grand National award this past summer with a car I restored 29 years and 35,000 miles ago, so you can have your cake and eat it too. I must admit though that the parking lots at the dorm buildings didn't have many "driven" cars parked in it. There sure were a lot of trailers in those lots though!!!

Edited by sidesho_bob1961 2017-04-06 1:33 PM
59 in Calif
Posted 2017-04-06 3:09 PM (#537501 - in reply to #537452)

Elite Veteran

I agree with John and Joe. Drive it and enjoy it !! That's what they were originally made for. Just have to use a little common sense about where you park it in public. Jerry
FIN ME
Posted 2017-04-08 11:09 AM (#537618 - in reply to #537452)

Expert

I think there's room for all approaches to dealing with an old car, and all are valid, IMHO.

Some folks buy an old car with the goal of making it as good as new, if possible. That's more or less the approach I took, and I searched for a car that I loved, and one that would suit my goals, my budget, and my abilities (and the lack thereof). I figured if I was going to go to the trouble and expense of "fixing" the car, I may as well try to use "original" parts and such. Some folks with similar goals have had to change their plans when time and money ran out. Others buy an old car to drive as-is, and then get the restoration or customization bug. Others obtain an old car and love it for what it is. I know that you guys can all relate to one, if not all of these scenarios.

Personally, I wanted to preserve a car as close to its original condition as was reasonably possible. For me, it was an exercise in preservation...conservancy, if you will. I've always enjoyed car shows and other auto-related events, but having a car-show worthy car was not my main goal. Before I got my car, I was very grateful to the owners of old cars who took the time to restore, preserve, customize, or just plain drive their classics so that others could enjoy them whether they took them to car shows, or just drove them around town as-is for all to see, especially the kids. No matter what condition an old car is in, few folks can enjoy it, or learn more about it, if it spends most of its time in a garage.

I wanted to get a car that I could love, and one that I would want to keep "forever", if possible. Ya never know how life might change, but growing old with an old car, if one is able, is a good plan to have as a fine way to go, methinks.

Now that my car is "finished"...are they ever "finished"?...I still drive it, but I do so as carefully as I do any of my new cars. If my old car sustains some wear and tear at this stage, I will just consider it what artists have described in the past as "the evolution of the piece". I won't be happy about wear and tear, but such is life. I also like to get my car out and about because our finned cars seem to draw a lot of attention from kids for some reason (I blame Flo from the Cars movie ), which is hopefully a way of inspiring at least some of them to gain interest in the old car hobby.

I've not trailered my car yet, but if I do so, it will be to a long-distance destination, and more for the reason that I don't want to put a lot more miles on the engine than I have to, bad roads and crazy drivers notwithstanding.

I think it's a good thing if old car owners please themselves when I comes to dealing with their classic treasures.

Edited by FIN ME 2017-04-08 11:15 AM
57chizler
Posted 2017-04-08 3:05 PM (#537632 - in reply to #537452)

Expert

The word "restoration" isn't in my vocabulary. I build 'em the way I like 'em.
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2017-04-08 9:11 PM (#537652 - in reply to #537632)

The "big magic" of having old cars (or anything old) is the joy it
seems to bring to those who see it. Speaking for myself, my biggest
thrills in the old car scene are the likes of barn finds or seeing a
survivor going down the road like it is "just another day".

One of my favorite memories of the latter was sitting at a stop
light in Selah, Washington early one morning in my 60 Invicta
convertible and a 59 Electra 225 convertible, driven by a little
old lady with lace hat and gloves crossed the intersection in front
of me as she went about her daily errands.

As an extension of this, I prefer nicely kept original cars to restored,
or cars "restored" to a level of nicely maintained, but not PERFECT
level.

Over-restored trailer queens and paperweights are a sad end to
great road cars that will never see the road again as ordinary cars.

57chizler
Posted 2017-04-09 12:44 PM (#537688 - in reply to #537652)

Expert

I feel the same way about trailer queens as I do about warbirds, it's great to see them in a museum but a real thrill to see on the wing; problem is, when driven/flown, the law of averages is bound to catch up eventually and then you could have a pile of scrap.
Sonoramic60
Posted 2017-04-09 1:54 PM (#537691 - in reply to #537688)

Expert

57 --
You're sure right on about seeing exhibits in a museum versus seeing them actually performing! Except for a baby's laugh, there is nothing sweeter than the "rrrrrm-rrrrrm-rrrrrm" of a Merlin when he makes a low pass or the thoaty rumble of big MoPar V-8 on the street. Just as F-22s are worlds away from 51s and Spits, modern "bzzzz-ing" 4- and 6-bangers put our old FLKs to shame in every aspect, except panache. But even Gibraltar is wearing away and all good things ineveitably come to an end.
Joe
springsweptwing
Posted 2017-04-09 2:05 PM (#537694 - in reply to #537452)

Elite Veteran

Restoring one to original with all correct parts can be a daunting task, one which I have come up against myself , if you are going to restore to factory correct make sure you start off with a car that is complete in parts, as some things can take years to find with correct dating and numbers.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)