The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Multipurpose Astra Dome Knobs?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Electrical, Battery and ChargingMessage format

backbord
Posted 2017-02-04 10:16 AM (#533154)
Subject: Multipurpose Astra Dome Knobs?

Hello to everybody!

I am going to install a hazard flasher in my 1960 Chrysler Windsor since the car did not come equipped this way.

As you know, there are 4 knobs surrounding the Astra Dome - Rear Window, Dome Light, Map Light, Antenna.
In my car, the first and last are locked because it does not have the accessories.
My plan is to use one of the knobs to activate the hazard flasher and connect the indicator light to the parking brake warning light.
I think it is pretty neat to keep the original look of the dash.

I did not yet take the assembly apart, so my question is: Could the "dead" knobs be converted to "regular" operation?
Assuming that Chrysler installed these only for optical reasons I asked myself what they looked like on the inside.

Thank you!
Maik
Top of the page Bottom of the page
wizard
Posted 2017-02-04 10:31 AM (#533155 - in reply to #533154)
Subject: Re: Multipurpose Astra Dome Knobs?

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

Hi and welcome to the forum!

As for the emergency flasher, just connect four diodes to the four turn signal wires behind the kick panel, add an extra flasher relay and whatever toggle switch under the dash - the green turn indicators will then flash simultanious and that will be a better option than to rebuild the Circuit for the brake warning light.
That will require a special toggle switch and a couple of diodes - I have the circuit somewhere and have tested the function, but opted for the easier way.

As for the AstraDome dummie switches, those are just a piece of aluminum and cannot be rebuilt. If you would like to use an AstraDome switch, then you must rebuild one as the only ground a wire. I have some spare ones and I could rebuild one if you would like to buy one.

Mind that here in Sweden, emergency flashers are only allowed to show orange flashing lights, front and rear - I couldn't care less for this regulation as my red rear flashing lights might prevent an accident and I never inform about my emergency flashers in the biannual inspections.....
61ChryslerMan
Posted 2017-02-04 9:49 PM (#533217 - in reply to #533154)

Extreme Veteran

I really like the idea of repurposing the knobs. Very clever!
backbord
Posted 2017-02-05 5:31 PM (#533291 - in reply to #533155)

Thank you!

Yes, attaching diodes is a surprisingly simple solution!
I thought to use the parking brake warning light because its color matches for the emergency flasher indicator.
But you are right, it would require more than just attaching a second wire to the bulb (I was on that track before).

The bulb is not grounded but wired to the ignition switch. Result: Indicator would work only while the ignition is on!
The emergency flasher indicator has to work without ignition, so I forget about this and use the regular turn signal indicators instead (without any effort, as they will light up simultaneously).

Concerning the switches:
If I take any small turn-switch, could I use the (dummy) knob to operate it?
wizard
Posted 2017-02-06 1:31 AM (#533316 - in reply to #533154)

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

Yes, if you use a toggle switch with the lever made out of brass (old types), then you can file the toggle lever flat and mount the knob. So, instead of a turning switch, you will have a toggle switch with original knob. It will work, since I have adapted one for the rear window defogger.
backbord
Posted 2017-02-08 4:54 PM (#533545 - in reply to #533154)

Sounds like another good idea!
I could keep (almost) stock look and have a working switch there.

I will have a look at this and if I choose this conversion, I try to have it reported here ;-)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)