The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Save your tail lite lenses
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> 1955-1961 Forward Look MoPar General DiscussionMessage format

59 in Calif
Posted 2017-01-15 1:01 AM (#531387)
Subject: Save your tail lite lenses

Elite Veteran

Hey Guys, Check it out ! I couldn't find repo lail lite lenses for 59 Dodge. I picked out the worst one of the 8 lenses I have. It was somewhat faded and slightly scratched. I have some 3M rubbing compound #05973 and some 3M machine polish #05996. I put a soft cloth rotary polishing wheel on my dremel. Figured I had nothing to loose. I started with the rubbing compound first and then went over it with the machine polish. The more I polished it, the better it looked. It now looks way better than the best one I have ! I got this compound and polish at a store that sells rubbing compound, polish, sand paper, wax and anything else needed to detail out a car. Don't know if a paint store carries this but can probably tell you where to go. The paint shop told me about this place. It didnt seem like it was too expensive, don't remember. So if you are caught between a rock and a hard place, give it a try ! Jerry
Top of the page Bottom of the page
59 in Calif
Posted 2017-01-18 9:07 PM (#531717 - in reply to #531387)
Subject: Re: Save your tail lite lenses

Elite Veteran

Hey Guys, Here's an update on polishing tail lite lenses. I found the machine polish tends to dry out fast and the cloth polishing wheel tends to burn the plastic lense. So I stopped using it. I just use the rubbing compound, 2 or 3 times as needed with no resulting burns. The 2 small spots that I did burn I kept going over it several times with the rubbing compound. It cleaned it up but the scar was still there. Fortunately with this Dodge lense I can put it in facing the housing where it can't be seen. This rubbing compound is really fine and works great by itself. Jerry
Lancer Mike
Posted 2017-01-18 9:28 PM (#531720 - in reply to #531717)
Subject: Re: Save your tail lite lenses

Cool, Jerry! Did you happen to take "before" and "after" pictures?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)