The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Converting From Manual To Power Steering - '58 Plymouth
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Steering and SuspensionMessage format

Skelly1958
Posted 2016-12-18 11:05 PM (#529108)
Subject: Converting From Manual To Power Steering - '58 Plymouth

Regular

I had done some research and learned it's best to go with a '59 set up due problems with the early constant-control units. I was also under the impression that everything would work from any '59 except the Imperials and verified it with the parts books.

I found a '59 Chrysler Windsor parts car with the short wheel base and, according to the parts books, the columns are the same. If it had been a Saratoga or New Yorker, the column would be different. I was doing some final research this evening and came across this thread http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=50327&... where it says the parts book is wrong and the jacket and shaft are different between the Plymouth and the Chrysler. Does this take into account the short wheelbased Windsors?

My question is, if I buy the Windsor, will I still have to find a jacket and shaft from a Plymouth or Dodge?

Thanks,
Shawn
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Chrispy
Posted 2016-12-22 5:09 PM (#529548 - in reply to #529108)
Subject: Re: Converting From Manual To Power Steering - '58 Plymouth

Extreme Veteran

The column should be the same between the plymouth and dodge and the windsor/firesweep (dodge based), the plymouth is on a shorter WB but its shortened in the body, not the front end. Which is why the dodge front end bolts right on the plymouth. The big DeSotos and chryslers have 4 more inches up front but are the same from the firewall back as the 122" wb cars, which is why they have a different column.
Skelly1958
Posted 2016-12-22 8:15 PM (#529572 - in reply to #529548)

Regular

Thanks Chris. That's what I was hoping for. The other thread must have only been talking about the Saratogas and New Yorkers.
59 in Calif
Posted 2016-12-23 10:29 AM (#529609 - in reply to #529108)

Elite Veteran

Hey Shawn, I converted wife's 59 Dodge to P/S using parts from a 59 Chry. Don't know what model Chry it was. P/S box mounted right up, but pay attention to the length of the pitman arm and idler arm length. The column did seem to be a bit long so lowered it down a bit where it mounts to bottom of the dash. You can use a later Chry Saginaw pump, but you will have to relieve the pressure a bit at the press relief valve or it will blow out the lower gearbox seal. It's a real PITA to replace this seal. It's not that difficult to reset the press relief valve. But you will need an inline press gauge to check and monitor press. I made a post on how to do this, seems like it put it in the Pacific Northwest section. After resetting the press relief valve I found the sys press was around 200 Psi when turning the wheels at a dead stop. The gearbox is good for around 1000 PSI. That lower seal won't take much more than that. Good Luck, Jerry
Skelly1958
Posted 2016-12-23 11:26 AM (#529611 - in reply to #529609)

Regular

Thanks for sharing your experience Jerry. Very good information. I'll try and track down your other post.

Merry Christmas!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)