The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Torqueflite trouble
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> General Technical Discussion and TroubleshootingMessage format

mangodart
Posted 2016-12-05 4:22 AM (#527903)
Subject: Torqueflite trouble

Regular

Hi guys,
I need your advise, I have a 58 Plymouth Sub with V8 and torqueflite pushbutton. Yesterday after an hour drive and a little stop of 15 min, it starts to get some trouble on the trans : it doesn't want to shift in second, when in drive at the moment of shifting, it even "brake" the car. So I had to return home in first gear. Fluid level is ok. Any idea ??
Top of the page Bottom of the page
grunau
Posted 2016-12-05 9:44 AM (#527928 - in reply to #527903)
Subject: RE: Torqueflite trouble

Extreme Veteran

Hi
Well by your description, off hand I would say you could either have an overrunning clutch problem or a Kickdown servo problem , your description of the transmission "braking" the car on an upshift attempt would indicate more of an overrunning clutch problem. In the "D" position first gear on the cast iron Torqueflite is provided by the front clutch and the overrunning clutch , when the shift to second occurs the Kickdown band is engaged releasing the overrunning clutch. Direct or third gear is provided when the Kickdown band is released and the rear clutch engages. So if the overrunning clutch is piled up ( It's not that common a failure but I've seen it) it would not release cleanly thereby it would have the same effect as the low reverse band holding the low reverse drum which would certainly have an engine braking effect. The fact that the transmission wants to shift tells me that the basic hydraulic system is good , its just that internally the elements are not quite responding as they should. The repair of the overrunning clutch would entail removal and disassembly of the transmission and inspection /replacement of the overrunning clutch support , cam, rollers and springs depending on the damage , the roller springs are most likely the cause as a piece could break away and wedge onto a roller locking the clutch. The overrunning clutch, its located in the centre of the main case. Check out these pictures to give you an idea: http://www.chrysler300club.com/tech/trans/torqueflite.html Picture 6a shows the overrunning clutch and the front planetary components , the overrunning clutch support is the part in the upper left , the clutch rollers and springs are shown spread out in the middle of the snap ring lower centre of pic.

Edited by grunau 2016-12-05 9:48 AM
mangodart
Posted 2016-12-05 10:45 AM (#527934 - in reply to #527903)
Subject: RE: Torqueflite trouble

Regular

Thanks for the info, very helpful !!
Islander 62
Posted 2016-12-06 12:15 PM (#528025 - in reply to #527903)
Subject: Re: Torqueflite trouble

Veteran

Grunau has given you a very comprehensive and correct analysis....the short explanation is, the 'sprags' ( roller springs )have let go preventing the upshift and creating a braking effect. This is a known but infrequent problem with cast iron torqueflites usually attributed to high mileage.
1961plymouthfury
Posted 2016-12-07 2:09 AM (#528081 - in reply to #527903)
Subject: Re: Torqueflite trouble

Expert

You might want to consider having the transmission overhauled. (rebuilt)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)