The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

NSW Regulations
Moderators: Ray Bell

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Local Regions -> Australia & New Zealand RegionMessage format

matte
Posted 2016-10-28 3:28 AM (#524625)
Subject: NSW Regulations

Elite Veteran

Well as usual registering anything in NSW is harder than pulling teeth.. Things were so easy when I lived in QLD. Anyway got so much closer to getting it registered, got my Import approval, Blueslip, CTP greenslip and bill of sale. I was getting it all ready for to got the RTA office on Saturday but now found out I have to "Compliance Certificate"!!!(Not to be confused with a complain plate) Because of the age it will only be the lights and rear lights.. It's so stupid!!! If it was a "personal import" I would only need the blueslip but because it is an "import of a vehicle built before January 1989", I have to get one. The difference between the 2 import approvals is personal import is when I migrated or lived abroad and owned the car for a year and the common one is bought a car and bringing it over. Just typical crap at it's best and I'm get so frustrated..

Anyway my question is to NSW guys or anyone who knows the answer.

The 2 things it won't pass is the headlights dip the wrong way
but my main concern is the rear indicators. I know I can keep them red because of the age but I think it's a big no no that the indicator is also the brake light and flashes when in use. I think it has to be changed no matter what age it is. Anyone in NSW keep their indicator/brake light as one unit?

Edited by matte 2016-10-28 3:30 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
57plybel
Posted 2016-10-28 5:55 AM (#524628 - in reply to #524625)
Subject: RE: NSW Regulations

Extreme Veteran

On my 57 here in Victoria, I made the reversing lights into the indicators with orange globes.  Added a diode so that single filament  can function as both reversing light and indicator... all reversible. 

On your 58, they ran in Oz with the stock red light for all 3 functions (when new) ... You can point that out if questioned as it was legal at the time.

failing that, you could use a clamp on accessory orange light to get you through the rego/ inspection stage.  That was commonplace right up until the early 2000's...

Colin

matte
Posted 2016-10-28 6:48 AM (#524629 - in reply to #524628)
Subject: Re: NSW Regulations

Elite Veteran

Thanks Colin. I didn't even think of the 58's that were assembled here. I'll give it ago because anything is worth a shot at this point. If that doesn't work will I have to disconnect the indicator lights from the steering loom and run 2 wires down to the clamp ons?

lozrox58
Posted 2016-10-29 2:45 AM (#524673 - in reply to #524625)

Extreme Veteran

I've not heard of 58's being allowed to run red indicators. For the Aussie 59 the indicators were connected to the reversing lights. For US imports the easiest way is to swap the wires to the reversing switch with the brake light switch then swap brake wire and reverse wire at the rear. Fit an orange globe to the reverse. Both switches are under the dash and No diodes needed. Your engineer won't allow flashing brake light in NSW.
matte
Posted 2016-10-29 3:26 AM (#524676 - in reply to #524673)

Elite Veteran

Here's the thing for red indicators for NSW

Lights
The following lights must be fitted to a motor vehicle other than a motorcycle:
? At least two white headlights that, when switched from high-beam to low-beam, deflect the beam downwards, or downwards and to the left
? At least two white front parking lights
? At least two front and two rear yellow direction indicator lights*
? At least two red tail lights and two red rear reflectors
? At least two red brake lights
? At least one rear number-plate light
* For motor vehicles built before 1 July 1973, white front and red rear indicator lights are permissible.

matte
Posted 2016-10-29 3:27 AM (#524677 - in reply to #524673)

Elite Veteran

I don't have a reverse light. I don't know if it was optioned not to have it or it was left out when semi restored..

I went to the RTA today and I was nearly finished with the number plates on the counter. Then she was having trouble entering the car because it's not on their system, as make and model!! They have to get in contact with the RTA's tech group and they enter in the make and model then I pick up the plates on Monday.. This is where I know it's all going to go pear shape.. It was the tech support group that advised me on Friday that I needed to get the certification compliance to meet the ADR of that year. So they might advise the RTA that they can't continue! I hope not because it was all going smoothly.

I see so many yank cars getting around Sydney with the brake light as indicators as well. I guess they do the amber thing for inspection then change back..

I was also reading that before 59 the car needs to have atlas one brake light. I was going to argue that when the which ever indicator is on there is still one brake light operating opposite of it at the rear but I know they would have an argument....

Edited by matte 2016-10-29 3:47 AM
wizard
Posted 2016-10-29 6:30 AM (#524685 - in reply to #524625)

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

I don't know if this might help you, but I'm running with switchback LED's in the front. Here's a link http://www.autolumination.com/switchback.html

We don't have so strong regulations in Sweden, I chose the switchbacks for my own safety (supposedly the switchbacks arn't legal in Sweden, but I've passed 2 inspections with them).
matte
Posted 2016-10-29 6:07 PM (#524713 - in reply to #524685)

Elite Veteran

Thank Sven... My problem is that the State I live in don't allow the brake light and indicator to be the same bulb but you have given me an idea that may work..

ttotired
Posted 2016-10-29 8:05 PM (#524726 - in reply to #524625)

Expert 5K+

Matte, You don't need to change your rear lights if its a US import, Aussie built, you might.

My dodge, I made a set up in the wiring so I swap 2 plugs and I can have either the brake lights flash or the reverse lights.

I did that because its Aussie built, but I like it to flash the brake lights (which I havnt got it doing now, its flashing the reverse lights)

In your post above, it clearly states that a flashing red (brake) light is permissible, so not a problem

lozrox58
Posted 2016-10-29 11:24 PM (#524747 - in reply to #524713)

Extreme Veteran

matte - 2016-10-30 8:07 AM

Thank Sven... My problem is that the State I live in don't allow the brake light and indicator to be the same bulb but you have given me an idea that may work..

The rear indicator lens is permitted to be red on early cars, but the brake light and indicator cannot be the same light.
matte
Posted 2016-10-30 1:04 AM (#524756 - in reply to #524747)

Elite Veteran

This just sucks because I wouldn't even have the room to make a new hole to house another bulb within the lens backing.. I so don't want extra lights added onto it and looking ugly. I don't understand why they releases the 58 over here and didn't change it. If it was released over here like that then mine should be allowed even if they did change the vehicle standards legislation.

Edited by matte 2016-10-30 1:06 AM
dartphoenix
Posted 2016-11-01 4:23 PM (#525004 - in reply to #524625)

New User

i have a '61 Phoenix recently imported and fully registered in NSW. No problems leaving the tail lights,indicators as original.
ttotired
Posted 2016-11-01 6:15 PM (#525012 - in reply to #524625)

Expert 5K+

If you must use a separate bulb (never heard of such rubbish before) simply put an LED bulb in behind the lens and stick it with whatever works and put a small hole for a couple of wires, there's your brake light.

You will have to run another wire from the steering column to the back, but this all just temp as once its licenced, rip it all out and put it back to standard

matte
Posted 2016-11-01 8:26 PM (#525026 - in reply to #525012)

Elite Veteran

Yeah some VSCCS inspectors will let it go because it's a grey area but I bet if they or you rang RTA tech(which are the big wigs of the NSW RTA registration), they would tell the inspectors otherwise and put a stop to it..

That's all ok now. My next problem is it all safety glass. Anyway getting it inspected for the VSCCS today so hopefully. Extra $640 for this!!!

matte
Posted 2016-11-02 2:08 AM (#525048 - in reply to #525026)

Elite Veteran

The guy just left and all is good so now I just wait for RTA to upload it for him to enter details.

We realised that not only were we from Queensland but also the same little town! He also now lives a couple of blocks behind me...

OzFury
Posted 2016-11-06 10:52 PM (#525475 - in reply to #524625)

Veteran

Our 65 Barracuda is original no change to the blinkers or stop lights even has amber front parkers.
Other guy's in our club have left there car standard as well never any problems some on club rego others full rego.
If you want to put it on club rego PM me.
matte
Posted 2016-11-06 11:22 PM (#525479 - in reply to #525475)

Elite Veteran

OzFury - 2016-11-06 10:52 PM

Our 65 Barracuda is original no change to the blinkers or stop lights even has amber front parkers.
Other guy's in our club have left there car standard as well never any problems some on club rego others full rego.
If you want to put it on club rego PM me.

Hi Graham, thanks for the offer.. I found a Engineer who signed off of it all and I just this minute got back from the RTA. All done!! Expensive to get it registered on the road for the first Rego in Aus. $890 for CTP, $1100 for Rego and stamp duty(awesome paying stamp duty twice! on to Federal Govt and one to State!!) $640 for Engineers Report and $144 for Blueslip! So a grand total of $2774 AUS to have it on the road.

OzFury
Posted 2016-11-07 2:50 PM (#525517 - in reply to #524625)

Veteran

Geez that's a few beers club rego is $87 the first year + pink slip then $55 + pink slip each year after that & now with the 60 day logbook it's great.
matte
Posted 2016-11-07 3:28 PM (#525519 - in reply to #525517)

Elite Veteran

OzFury - 2016-11-07 2:50 PM

Geez that's a few beers club rego is $87 the first year + pink slip then $55 + pink slip each year after that & now with the 60 day logbook it's great.

Do you just do Mopars?

OzFury
Posted 2016-11-07 3:52 PM (#525520 - in reply to #524625)

Veteran

No all makes club is called Chrome Bumpers Inc
VALCUDA
Posted 2016-11-28 4:24 PM (#527398 - in reply to #524625)

New User

Fellow Forward Look members, as a way of a brief introduction, I am a member of the mailing list, invited to join by Dave Stragand while attending Chrysler's at Carlisle in 2000, but have just decided to register on the forum. I am a qualified motor mechanic, having served my apprenticeship at a Chrysler dealership in the late '60's in Sydney. I own a number of Chrysler vehicles, daily drivers and others undergoing restoration. As of 17 months ago I am a now, retired Roads & Maritime vehicle inspector with 34 years service. As such, it is with great interest I read some posts, particularly this one concerning registration requirements in N.S.W. As someone who was heavily involved in the auditing of the operation of the Authorised Inspection Station scheme, which includes "Blue Slip" stations, it is quite evident that a big percentage of examiners attached to these stations continue to give incorrect information their customers, which is probably why the initiator of this thread, Matte, had so much trouble getting his car registered. I would advise ANYONE who is intending to register or import a vehicle to do their homework, and first get in touch directly with the registering authority via their technical enquiries section of Vehicle Standards rather than be led strictly by the A.I.S. examiners or members of the general car fraternity who inadvertently send people in the wrong direction by giving out incorrect information. I am curious to know why Matte was asked to get a Compliance certificate for his vehicle, as the items mentioned requiring rectification would not be considered to be "certifiable", they are simply road worthiness requirements. Regarding those items, the headlamps which are fitted to L.H.D. vehicles are designed to dip to the right so when driven on the left side of the road they would project into oncoming traffic, not the left shoulder as required. As for the red rear turn signal / brake light combination, the regulations allow a vehicle built before Jan 1960 to retain that system irrespective of how or when it came into the country. I'm not going to preach here, but I know we all like to retain the "original" look of our vehicles, but keep in mind the changes required to be made to an imported vehicle generally are safety related. In relation to brake lights operating as turn signals, because since 1960, rear turn signals are amber, the majority of drivers will confuse a red turn signal as a faulty brake lamp, and I been told of several instances of early vehicles being shunted in the rear for that reason. So in respect of the minor changes in most cases required to convert to the newer system I would suggest it a much safer & cheaper option than having to get a car repaired, especially when parts are becoming harder to find for older vehicles when damaged. Of note regarding "club" or Historic registration, the person allocated by the club who deems the vehicle roadworthy is still under the same obligation to ensure the vehicle meets the standards set by the registering authority & other than some safety upgrade allowances eg. seat belts, turn signals, the vehicle is to remain in original unmodified condition! Just a final note, the V.S.C.C.S. and historic schemes are regularly audited, so to those of you may have skirted around the regulations for whatever reason there may one day come a knock on the door and you could be issued with a defect notice.
matte
Posted 2016-11-28 5:35 PM (#527416 - in reply to #527398)

Elite Veteran

VALCUDA - 2016-11-28 4:24 PM

......................I would advise ANYONE who is intending to register or import a vehicle to do their homework, and first get in touch directly with the registering authority via their technical enquiries section of Vehicle Standards rather than be led strictly by the A.I.S. examiners or members of the general car fraternity who inadvertently send people in the wrong direction by giving out incorrect information. I am curious to know why Matte was asked to get a Compliance certificate for his vehicle, as the items mentioned requiring rectification would not be considered to be "certifiable", they are simply road worthiness requirements............/QUOTE]

Hi, Even before I imported the car in to Aus I was getting different answers from different people regarding certain questions. Blueslip inspectors, RTA office, VSCCS inspectors and RTA technical support gave different answers even within the same dept. I even had one RTA Tech support guy tell me that flashing red brake/tail lights were illegal. I finally spoke to a Tech support guy named "Neil" who knew that correct things. I also had a VSCCS tell me that ALL imported vehicles have to get seatbelts fitted. It was getting very confusing and frustrating.

It is now a requirement for all vehicles imported on the Pre-1989 vehicle import scheme to get the Compliance Certificate. There is a new updated VSI4 with a table of lists of requirements and has it on there. The new rule was implemented in the interim of me bringing the car over and the time it took me to register it. Thankfully the car is registered in a full legal way with no dodgy aspects in getting it done..

What part of NSW are you in? Would love to see some of your vehicles. I've met members of a Chryslers organisation on my travels of refuelling at servo's.

Edited by matte 2016-11-28 5:37 PM
OzFury
Posted 2016-11-28 6:33 PM (#527419 - in reply to #527398)

Veteran

VALCUDA - 2016-11-29 8:24 AM

Fellow Forward Look members, as a way of a brief introduction, I am a member of the mailing list, invited to join by Dave Stragand while attending Chrysler's at Carlisle in 2000, but have just decided to register on the forum. I am a qualified motor mechanic, having served my apprenticeship at a Chrysler dealership in the late '60's in Sydney. I own a number of Chrysler vehicles, daily drivers and others undergoing restoration. As of 17 months ago I am a now, retired Roads & Maritime vehicle inspector with 34 years service. As such, it is with great interest I read some posts, particularly this one concerning registration requirements in N.S.W. As someone who was heavily involved in the auditing of the operation of the Authorised Inspection Station scheme, which includes "Blue Slip" stations, it is quite evident that a big percentage of examiners attached to these stations continue to give incorrect information their customers, which is probably why the initiator of this thread, Matte, had so much trouble getting his car registered. I would advise ANYONE who is intending to register or import a vehicle to do their homework, and first get in touch directly with the registering authority via their technical enquiries section of Vehicle Standards rather than be led strictly by the A.I.S. examiners or members of the general car fraternity who inadvertently send people in the wrong direction by giving out incorrect information. I am curious to know why Matte was asked to get a Compliance certificate for his vehicle, as the items mentioned requiring rectification would not be considered to be "certifiable", they are simply road worthiness requirements. Regarding those items, the headlamps which are fitted to L.H.D. vehicles are designed to dip to the right so when driven on the left side of the road they would project into oncoming traffic, not the left shoulder as required. As for the red rear turn signal / brake light combination, the regulations allow a vehicle built before Jan 1960 to retain that system irrespective of how or when it came into the country. I'm not going to preach here, but I know we all like to retain the "original" look of our vehicles, but keep in mind the changes required to be made to an imported vehicle generally are safety related. In relation to brake lights operating as turn signals, because since 1960, rear turn signals are amber, the majority of drivers will confuse a red turn signal as a faulty brake lamp, and I been told of several instances of early vehicles being shunted in the rear for that reason. So in respect of the minor changes in most cases required to convert to the newer system I would suggest it a much safer & cheaper option than having to get a car repaired, especially when parts are becoming harder to find for older vehicles when damaged. Of note regarding "club" or Historic registration, the person allocated by the club who deems the vehicle roadworthy is still under the same obligation to ensure the vehicle meets the standards set by the registering authority & other than some safety upgrade allowances eg. seat belts, turn signals, the vehicle is to remain in original unmodified condition! Just a final note, the V.S.C.C.S. and historic schemes are regularly audited, so to those of you may have skirted around the regulations for whatever reason there may one day come a knock on the door and you could be issued with a defect notice.

Hi Al,

Mate not going to start a toing & throwing here

Below is a paragraph I just copied from the RMS website http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/registration/get-nsw-registration/h...

Historic vehicles must be as close to original condition as possible, with no alterations except for safety features such as seatbelts and turn indicators, or period accessories and options, if desired.

It was explained to me by a RMS officer that accessories & options are allowed as long as they are from the period of the vehicle this leaves it wide open depending on the year he said it was basically to stop people putting hot rods on historic rego.

I'm sure you know me well enough to know our club is above board as we require all cars on club rego to get a pink slip inspection every year.
The club registrar's only sign off on the historic declaration as to the car being eligible to be classed as a historic vehicle.

Cheers Graham
VAN HELSING
Posted 2016-12-14 9:13 AM (#528646 - in reply to #524625)

Elite Veteran

G'day fellas, I've been a few months away from the forum and just catching up now, have just read the saga Matte has had to go through and thought I'd just throw up some of what I've found from the registration sequence for registering a vehicle in Nuisance Wales ( NSW ) ............

My 59 Dodge is a Californian import , so LHD. About 12 months ago during an epiphany I spoke to the local AIS Blue Slip inspector regarding the sequence of events I need to take to register it, when the time came to do it.

Needless to say, he really had no idea and was going around in circles with an answer/answers.............. I had an inkling he was heading me down the wrong path........

So I rang the RTA or RMS or whatever they are called this week.............. Technical Enquiries section and gave them the scenario.

In basic terms, they said to me pretty much the same as what member VALCLUDA has said in his post above...........and in a nutshell when it came time for me to register my 59 Dodge it could just go through as any unregistered vehicle with the exception of headlamp replacement for RHD vehicle headlamps and the fitment of seatbelts, because of its age lap and sash seat belts would suffice.Obviously there would be other minor hurdles but nothing was mentioned of the like that Matte had to go through.

Because it was manufactured prior to the vehicle compliancing regulations requirements there was no need for it to require any compliance , the same as my daily driver 1960 FB Holden doesn't have, nor doesn't require compliance plates for registration.

I guess at least now Matte you are enjoying driving your Mopar and allowing the waters of frustration to run by under the bridge so to speak......

Edited by VAN HELSING 2016-12-14 9:37 AM
matte
Posted 2016-12-14 4:38 PM (#528692 - in reply to #528646)

Elite Veteran

VAN HELSING - 2016-12-14 9:13 AM

................I guess at least now Matte you are enjoying driving your Mopar and allowing the waters of frustration to run by under the bridge so to speak......

I am to a certain degree. Now I have the frustration of going over and diagnosing and repairing what I have now paid 2 mechanics to do. The only good that has become of being so rogered by these mechanics is I'm learning so much about these FL cars and feel good accomplishment when I fix the problem. Most of the issues I have sorted out because of the FL forum. I'm so glad this forum exists and there are some people always ready and willing to help out. HaHa and some others hold on to information like it's a gold nugget!
I can't wait until I have confidence in the car and can take it out for a real cruise and not stay in my area, testing. I'd like to take it for a cruise out your direction.

Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2016-12-25 5:58 PM (#529750 - in reply to #528692)

Help this Yank understand an Aussie-ism ....

=======================

matte - 2016-12-15 1:38 PM

Now I have the frustration of going over and diagnosing and repairing what I have now paid 2 mechanics

to do. The only good that has become of being so rogered by these mechanics is

=======================

What exactly is meant by "rogered" ?

I have several friends named "Roger".  Wonder what they've been trying to pull !   :laugh:

matte
Posted 2016-12-25 6:21 PM (#529753 - in reply to #529750)

Elite Veteran

Doctor DeSoto - 2016-12-25 5:58 PM

Help this Yank understand an Aussie-ism ....

=======================

matte - 2016-12-15 1:38 PM

Now I have the frustration of going over and diagnosing and repairing what I have now paid 2 mechanics

to do. The only good that has become of being so rogered by these mechanics is

=======================

What exactly is meant by "rogered" ?

I have several friends named "Roger".  Wonder what they've been trying to pull !   :laugh:

HaHa umm to put it bluntly it's an Australian/British term to mean badly screwed over or to have rough sex. It can be used in 2 different ways but meaning the same thing.

1. I really gave that girl a darn good rogering.

Or

2. Man that mechanic really ripped me off and gave me a good rogering!

57plybel
Posted 2016-12-25 7:24 PM (#529756 - in reply to #524625)

Extreme Veteran

Similar to "I'll be buggered" in Oz, Brent.... If people only knew what it really meant they might use it more sparingly !

Colin

matte
Posted 2016-12-25 7:38 PM (#529758 - in reply to #529756)

Elite Veteran

57plybel - 2016-12-25 7:24 PM

Similar to "I'll be buggered" in Oz, Brent.... If people only knew what it really meant they might use it more sparingly !

Colin

HaHa yeah most people have no clue the true meaning of that one!!

Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2016-12-26 2:52 PM (#529789 - in reply to #529758)

Does not the term "buggered" mean to be "violated" via the old poop chute ?
.... adding perhaps, a deeper level of "rough" or taken advantage of ?
ttotired
Posted 2016-12-26 5:39 PM (#529801 - in reply to #524625)

Expert 5K+

Exactly Doc

The term "I'll be buggered" means I'll be f#cked up the clacker, but its really meant as, wow, I didn't know that, I could have been f#cked up the clacker by someone, glad I know it now

Its also common to here it said as "bugger me" meaning the same thing

But as said, a lot of people don't really know (or acknowledge) the meaning

Sad thing is a lot of the Australian slang is dying out, but in saying that, a lot of its not really Australian anyway

If you listen to a ****ney pom talking, they use a lot of the same slang including Mate as in friend and wether it came from the convict times
or wether it came from the influx of 10 pound poms in the 50s, its Australianised now

ttotired
Posted 2016-12-26 5:41 PM (#529803 - in reply to #524625)

Expert 5K+

bloody auto editing, forgot

****ney is equal to male rooster

matte
Posted 2016-12-27 2:33 AM (#529832 - in reply to #529803)

Elite Veteran

A lot of slang and old sayings are very old nautical terms. Mate would be from 1st mate, 2nd mate, shipmate etc..

Here are some old ship terms commonly used in normal conversation.

http://www.fortogden.com/nauticalterms.html

ttotired
Posted 2016-12-27 5:12 PM (#529858 - in reply to #524625)

Expert 5K+

Anyway, another successful derail from Doc

The historic/club licensing you lot east of the border have is the envy of most of us here in the west

The club license here is so restrictive that you can barely drive your car and it must be basically stock as a rock

They are really going by the letter of the meaning "historic"

I have had a few discussions with car clubs (or representatives of them) over here about trying to push for a system similar to the eastern states
but most of them are happy with the current arrangement (they are purist types) as its only $70 a year and a system like yours would be triple that.

Even the freedom to anywhere drive for 90 days as long as you fill out a log book doesn't sway them (on club license, your allowed "test and tune" and club sanctioned runs/events only
and the events must be mentioned in the clubs mints or a letter from the club president giving authorisation

My backside I will let some car club tell me when I can drive my car and what I can do to it.
As long as its roadworthy, it should be eligible and 90 days is a lot of weekend driving

OzFury
Posted 2016-12-27 9:09 PM (#529874 - in reply to #524625)

Veteran

Hey Mick,

You'll be hating us easterners even more we now have classic vehicle rego for modified cars over 30 years old.
Basically still the same process to get registered ie if you require engineering you still have to do it but rego cost are like $100 a year.

Woohoo for us

ttotired
Posted 2016-12-29 4:00 PM (#530000 - in reply to #524625)

Expert 5K+

Licensing rules over here suck!!!!!!!!!!

Ray Bell
Posted 2017-01-07 4:45 PM (#530717 - in reply to #524625)

Expert

And I'm about to face this with my '87 Dodge RAM van...

I've sorted out how to get amber globes into the reversing lights, working on the headlight issue and white front parking lights. But thus far I hadn't thought about having only one brake light while indicating for a turn. I might just put a red light up in a back window to give me a second brake light under those circumstances.

Or maybe it's different in Queensland. Where 'club rego' allows you to drive to and from club meetings and outings, to get the car serviced or an odd little drive for tune up. In other words, a total waste of time.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)