The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Neutral safety switch
Moderators: big m

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Local Regions -> Pacific Northwest RegionMessage format

59 in Calif
Posted 2016-09-01 2:06 AM (#520287)
Subject: Neutral safety switch

Elite Veteran

Hey Guys, Been having a problem with the 3 pole 76 TF neutral safety switch. Got the push button cable/trans gear shift lever synchronized to neutral. Then when trying to start with ign switch, the starter was hanging up. Checked the electrical sys again and found I was getting 5.5 volts feed back thru the wire to the neutral safety switch. I found this starting sys does not like that 50+ yr ign switch. So I put the motor home ign switch in and it eliminated that feed back. The motor home switch has several terminals and they make and break a couple circuits during the starting cycle. What an education this has been !!! When I retired I thought dealing with those kind of challenges were over. Jerry
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mope R. Geezer
Posted 2016-09-09 11:03 PM (#520900 - in reply to #520287)
Subject: RE: Neutral safety switch

Expert

Although mine is not a FL car ('63 Dodge Custom 880), it has the torqueflite 727 auto transmission.  I was intermittently having trouble with the neutral safety switch failing to let me start the car with the ignition switch.  So I installed a pushbutton switch at the bottom edge of the dash to the left of the steering column (where it is invisible) which allows me to "hot start" the car from the starter, when the ignition switch is on.  Later I took the car to a tranny shop where they seemed to have knowledge of how to adjust the NS switch.  They must have known what they were doing, because it hasn't failed me since.

I wouldn't have had the knowledge or patience to do what you did!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)