The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Parts questions.
Moderators: Ray Bell

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Local Regions -> Australia & New Zealand RegionMessage format

stinky
Posted 2016-08-01 5:31 AM (#518105)
Subject: Parts questions.

Veteran

Hi All, as I'm new to the Forward Look cars I'm after some info regarding where to find certain parts I need for my '59 DCR. I have been searching but am not sure which ones I need to order.
I am after front wheel bearings, some brake cylinders for front and rear and if anyone sells a front end rebuild kit for the '59's,
Im guessing these would all have to come out of the US, have been looking on ebay but that's just confusing me.
Also what sort of shocks are people using on thier cars, I used Monroe Gas on the Valiant and they seemed fine so thought I would just go with those again for the Dodge. Mine are shot on the Dodge so they definately need replacing.
Thanks in advance for your info people.
Cheers Peter.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
60 Imp
Posted 2016-08-01 7:25 AM (#518109 - in reply to #518105)
Subject: RE: Parts questions.

G'day Pete, I cant help with the particulars of 59 Dodge (RHD right?), but definitely do your research. Your car being an import will add to the challenge. Parts and shipping prices from the States to Aus' is over the top. All mistakes are costly! It seems to me shipping prices have doubled in the last 2 years. When I was ordering a lot of parts for my Imperial I spent many hours scouring the internet to find what I needed at the best prices (including shipping). I saved a bunch of folding by being patient and looking.

This site will have much of the info you need archived, plus you have access to the worlds experts in these cars to ask advice!
Have you used the site search function?

You should be able to get nearly all bearings you need in Australia. The seals might be a different story. I stripped my car (sections at a time) and then measured up the parts to cross reference new bits. Doing it this way I was able to put in the best quality parts I could get.

Have a look for KYB (Japanese) shocks. You will need to ship the models you need from the US I recon.

I got a lot of gear from Rockauto, Jeggs, Mancini racing, Gary Goers and Ebay. Where I could I specified US made parts, and thankfully almost all the gear I bought was US stuff.

I found it a lot of fun searching up the right bits, and then how to get it apart and back together again, Good luck!

Steve.

KcImperial
Posted 2016-08-01 8:43 AM (#518111 - in reply to #518105)
Subject: Re: Parts questions.

Expert

Wheel bearings for your Dodge should be the same as almost all Chrysler products up to the early 70's (excluding Imperial). GM used the same one on most of their vehicles up to the mid 90's. Your local parts store should have these on the shelf (even in AU).

Inner: National A6
Outer: National A2

The KYB's are about the best shock for the money for 57-61 Forwardlooks. You can get them from most vendors for around $35 each.

KYB Gas-a-Just series
Front - KG4507 (need some of the rubber bushing trimmed to fit)
Rear - KG5511

Gabriel part numbers for reference.
Gabriel gas shock absorber
Front - Gabriel 82072
Rear - Gabriel 81469
58coupe
Posted 2016-08-01 9:16 AM (#518112 - in reply to #518105)

Expert

Most fords and many other brands used the same front wheel brgs. for many years, only seals will be different. If you can, purchase a Hollander interchange book that covers the year of your car, It will be of great help.
matte
Posted 2016-08-01 7:01 PM (#518158 - in reply to #518112)

Elite Veteran

Hi Pete,

A lot of suspension and steering bushes etc are easily found over here... Brand "moog" have distributers.... Wheel cylinders are easy to find as well... There are plenty of places to try over here before having to pay the awful shipping prices...Remember I just had all brake work and fronted done by robbers and they got all the parts locally and my car is LHD. Going by memory, yours was an Australian delivered 59? It makes it good that some FL cars were Oz assembled because parts are recognised. Like Steve said Ebay is good but don't shop by cheap price and just search, search, search..

This mob should have the wheel cylinders and maybe the frontend.

http://www.allamericanautoparts.com.au

Suspension

http://www.moogproducts.com.au/moog/where-to-buy

Edited by matte 2016-08-01 7:10 PM
The Adventurer
Posted 2016-08-01 7:46 PM (#518164 - in reply to #518105)

Elite Veteran,, James Passed away March 2021, He will be Missed

I have a Correct Restored /Stainless Relsleeved and plated Master cyl for you if you need it $75 Plus post from Melbourne to you . Call me if you like 0431 211 582

But yes I have hammered Brad at All American to keep late 50s and 60s Mopar stuff and now they do keep some stuff in stock . They are great people to deal with .
matte
Posted 2016-08-02 12:42 AM (#518193 - in reply to #518164)

Elite Veteran

The Adventurer - 2016-08-01 7:46 PM

But yes I have hammered Brad at All American to keep late 50s and 60s Mopar stuff and now they do keep some stuff in stock . They are great people to deal with .

Yeah Brad's a nice guy and they are helpful and fast....

stinky
Posted 2016-08-02 1:35 AM (#518195 - in reply to #518109)

Veteran

60 Imp - 2016-07-31 10:25 PM

G'day Pete, I cant help with the particulars of 59 Dodge (RHD right?), but definitely do your research. Your car being an import will add to the challenge. Parts and shipping prices from the States to Aus' is over the top. All mistakes are costly! It seems to me shipping prices have doubled in the last 2 years. When I was ordering a lot of parts for my Imperial I spent many hours scouring the internet to find what I needed at the best prices (including shipping). I saved a bunch of folding by being patient and looking.

This site will have much of the info you need archived, plus you have access to the worlds experts in these cars to ask advice!
Have you used the site search function?

You should be able to get nearly all bearings you need in Australia. The seals might be a different story. I stripped my car (sections at a time) and then measured up the parts to cross reference new bits. Doing it this way I was able to put in the best quality parts I could get.

Have a look for KYB (Japanese) shocks. You will need to ship the models you need from the US I recon.

I got a lot of gear from Rockauto, Jeggs, Mancini racing, Gary Goers and Ebay. Where I could I specified US made parts, and thankfully almost all the gear I bought was US stuff.

I found it a lot of fun searching up the right bits, and then how to get it apart and back together again, Good luck!

Steve.

Hi Steve, thanks mate you have been a great help. Mine is a RHD '59, I will do a bit more research to find the right parts thanks.
I will check out those shocks to, have heard of KYB but never looked into them.
Cheers and thanks again.
Peter.
stinky
Posted 2016-08-02 1:40 AM (#518196 - in reply to #518111)

Veteran

KcImperial - 2016-07-31 11:43 PM

Wheel bearings for your Dodge should be the same as almost all Chrysler products up to the early 70's (excluding Imperial). GM used the same one on most of their vehicles up to the mid 90's. Your local parts store should have these on the shelf (even in AU).

Inner: National A6
Outer: National A2

The KYB's are about the best shock for the money for 57-61 Forwardlooks. You can get them from most vendors for around $35 each.

KYB Gas-a-Just series
Front - KG4507 (need some of the rubber bushing trimmed to fit)
Rear - KG5511

Gabriel part numbers for reference.
Gabriel gas shock absorber
Front - Gabriel 82072
Rear - Gabriel 81469

Hi Don,
I can get those bearings through a local supplier but just need to know what size seals they require. I didn't realize most manufactures used the same size, something new I have learnt.
Will check out those KYB shocks mate, sounds like they are the go. Thanks for the part numbers, saves allot of searching.
Cheers, Peter.
stinky
Posted 2016-08-02 1:41 AM (#518197 - in reply to #518112)

Veteran

58coupe - 2016-08-01 12:16 AM

Most fords and many other brands used the same front wheel brgs. for many years, only seals will be different. If you can, purchase a Hollander interchange book that covers the year of your car, It will be of great help.

Thanks 58coupe, that interchange book sounds like a great reference source, will hunt one down.
Cheers, Peter.
stinky
Posted 2016-08-02 1:46 AM (#518198 - in reply to #518158)

Veteran

matte - 2016-08-01 10:01 AM

Hi Pete,

A lot of suspension and steering bushes etc are easily found over here... Brand "moog" have distributers.... Wheel cylinders are easy to find as well... There are plenty of places to try over here before having to pay the awful shipping prices...Remember I just had all brake work and fronted done by robbers and they got all the parts locally and my car is LHD. Going by memory, yours was an Australian delivered 59? It makes it good that some FL cars were Oz assembled because parts are recognised. Like Steve said Ebay is good but don't shop by cheap price and just search, search, search..

This mob should have the wheel cylinders and maybe the frontend.

http://www.allamericanautoparts.com.au

Suspension

http://www.moogproducts.com.au/moog/where-to-buy

Hi Matte, great info thanks buddy. Will check out those two links you put up mate, definately on a budget as I'm still out of work and finding it tough to find a job, Tassie sucks in winter, it crawls to a stop.
Thanks buddy, appreciate your advice.
Peter.
stinky
Posted 2016-08-02 1:47 AM (#518199 - in reply to #518164)

Veteran

The Adventurer - 2016-08-01 10:46 AM

I have a Correct Restored /Stainless Relsleeved and plated Master cyl for you if you need it $75 Plus post from Melbourne to you . Call me if you like 0431 211 582

I will definately keep that in mind, not sure if mine needs replacing but your close which helps.
Thanks buddy, appreciate it.
Peter.
KcImperial
Posted 2016-08-02 2:22 AM (#518206 - in reply to #518196)

Expert

stinky - 2016-08-02 12:40 AM
Hi Don,
I can get those bearings through a local supplier but just need to know what size seals they require. I didn't realize most manufactures used the same size, something new I have learnt.
Will check out those KYB shocks mate, sounds like they are the go. Thanks for the part numbers, saves allot of searching.
Cheers, Peter.

Wheel Seal - National brand, Part # 6840S
Front Inner
Housing Bore (In): 2.336 Inch
Housing Bore (mm): 59.33mm
Outside Diameter (In): 2.340 Inch
Outside Diameter (mm): 59.44mm
Width (In): 0.250 Inch
Width (mm): 6.35mm
Quantity Per Vehicle: 2
stinky
Posted 2016-08-02 2:26 AM (#518207 - in reply to #518105)

Veteran

Wow you're good Don, I really appreciate the information mate. I will go and order bearings tomorrow now.
Thanks gain buddy, your a champ.
Peter.
coupeman
Posted 2016-08-02 7:26 PM (#518257 - in reply to #518105)

Extreme Veteran

Also try uncle sams parts in South Australia i think. Had most front end parts on the shelf
matte
Posted 2016-08-18 9:51 PM (#519347 - in reply to #518105)

Elite Veteran

Car going to an honest mechanic tmw... Nearly a year since I brought this car into Australia and I am getting closer to it passing inspection. I have no idea how this passed testing in Edmonton when it was registered. Although in the State in Australia I live, we have to pass each year.

How did you go with the parts you needed Pete?

Edited by matte 2016-08-18 9:56 PM
stinky
Posted 2016-08-19 1:06 AM (#519357 - in reply to #518105)

Veteran

Hi Matte, glad to hear you have found a honest mechanic mate. There is light at the end of the tunnel for you now.
I ordered and have put the new shocks in the Dodge, thanks for the tip KcImperial on the KYB Shocks. Man they have made a difference already and I haven't even driven it, the old ones were gone in a big way.
Have emailed AAAP only yesterday and will get all the bearings and cylinders off them, I like one stop shopping and they have free delivery over $600.
Also have some bit's and pieces coming from the states which will mean I am going to get a fair bit done in the next month so I am a bit excited, wanted it registered by the end of September for a big car show down here but I don't think that will happen.
Have all of the interior out and have coated the cabin floor which was rust free, Dynamat goes in next to keep the noise and heat down.
lozrox58
Posted 2016-08-19 3:52 AM (#519363 - in reply to #518105)

Extreme Veteran

A rust free floor???? That tends to be a good sign for the rest of the car.
stinky
Posted 2016-08-22 2:14 AM (#519521 - in reply to #518105)

Veteran

Let me rephrase that lozrox58, the cabin floor is not rusty, the boot floor though has a hole in it about the size of a 5c piece. And the right sill has a little bit of rust too, but she is pretty darn good other than that, especially for a 57 year old car.
VAN HELSING
Posted 2016-08-29 10:59 AM (#520088 - in reply to #518105)

Elite Veteran

stinky - 2016-08-01 9:31 PM

Hi All, as I'm new to the Forward Look cars I'm after some info regarding where to find certain parts I need for my '59 DCR. I have been searching but am not sure which ones I need to order.
I am after front wheel bearings, some brake cylinders for front and rear and if anyone sells a front end rebuild kit for the '59's,
Im guessing these would all have to come out of the US, have been looking on ebay but that's just confusing me.
Also what sort of shocks are people using on thier cars, I used Monroe Gas on the Valiant and they seemed fine so thought I would just go with those again for the Dodge. Mine are shot on the Dodge so they definately need replacing.
Thanks in advance for your info people.
Cheers Peter.

Pete,

If it helps, I bought my front end parts for my 59 Dodge from many different places, spent the time ( lots of it ) researching the parts numbers and suppliers and shopped around . EVERYTHING came from the US. I could have bought it all in Australia but would have paid triple the price I ended up paying.

The Centrelink and inner tie rod ends I bought from PST http://p-s-t.com/series-220188-center-link.html#!model%3DROYAL%7C%7...

The ball joints were ebay purchases, not all from same seller, just at the right price and shipping cost to here when I could find them.

Outer tie rods were from Evilbay, bought when I found some resonably priced.

You'll find the bottom ball joints will be about double the price of upper joints.

You will need a very large socket to undo and install the ball joints as they screw in.

I bought the special socket from the US and local 3/4 ratchet/bar for the job.

Inner upper bushes were from Evilbay when price was right as was lower bush.

Idler arm again was ebay when I could find it at a good price.

Shocks I am using are Gabriel front and Gabriel Air Shock for rear but be VERY careful buying them from the US or you will end up with all sorts of problems trying to get them shipped as I did because they contain oil and are prohibited to send . There is a post on here a way back about the problems I had with them, ended up leaving them in the US and gave up. I contacted Gabriel in the US and because of the problems I had after buying them and as a goodwill gesture, Gabriel in the US sent me some for nothing to a local Aussie supplier of Gabriel shocks.

Be careful dealing with Kanters in the US, they are arsewipes to deal with so I found out.

Wheel cylinders I am getting re-sleeved in stainless and new cup kit fitted. The lower dollar to the greenback plus the ever increasing cost and problems associated with shipping is making me rethink some of the things I would simply replace instead of rebuild. It's cheaper now to rebuild/re-sleeve the wheel cylinders , than to buy new and have them sent.

Front wheel bearings I would probably just buy from Evilbay, you could find an alternative here but would probably have to stuff around trying to find them?

I did have a list of the parts numbers ( usually " Moog " is the aftermarket numbers that most sellers use as replacement numbers ) but I'd have to look for them now as I bought all my parts a few years back now.

Hope this is of some help,

Terry.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)