The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

'61 Dodge End Play Shims, Where to get???
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Transmission and Rear AxleMessage format

PolyPhoenix61
Posted 2016-07-06 3:14 PM (#516046)
Subject: '61 Dodge End Play Shims, Where to get???

Hey Everyone, well I've been working on putting disc brakes on my '61 dodge and hit a wall putting the rear together. I'm using the SSBC rear brake kit which fits great when i test fitted it. When i had the rear axle refreshed with new bearings and seals, it changed the end play and bearing race depth in the axle tube. Long story short, I need .040" of shims for each axle. Does anyone know where i can get these shims or am I better off just making them?
Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
57chizler
Posted 2016-07-07 2:18 PM (#516151 - in reply to #516046)
Subject: RE: '61 Dodge End Play Shims, Where to get???

Expert

Are you saying the axle bearing race is in too deep or protruding too far from the housing flange?

If in too deep and you have Sure-Grip, check the thrust buttons...might have fallen out. If out too far the bearings weren't pressed on far enough.
60 Imp
Posted 2016-07-18 8:20 AM (#516968 - in reply to #516046)
Subject: RE: '61 Dodge End Play Shims, Where to get???

Make them yourself. This might not be your problem, but Be mindful of the new bearings not shouldering onto the axle correctly. I got caught with this. the inner race of the new bearing has a much larger radius on the bore than the old and is seated further onto the axle (due to a small shoulder on the axle) giving too much end play. I shimmed the outer race further into the axle housing to get the right end play (I used a mag base dial indicator to measure).

You'll need a selection of brass shim and a small curved set of tin snips to 'Roll your own'! Steve.

Edited by 60 Imp 2016-07-18 8:21 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)