The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Stealth Alternator
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Electrical, Battery and ChargingMessage format

Powerflite
Posted 2016-06-16 10:45 AM (#514304)
Subject: Stealth Alternator

Expert 5K+

I just finished installing a stealth alternator that looks similar to an original generator in my '56 Plymouth. The stealth alternator is sold by Rotten Leonard at:

http://www.rottenleonard.com/Stealth-Alternators.html

and puts out 45 amps continuous under all operating conditions, and 75 amps short term. It is de-rated from 75 amps to 45 amps to prevent it from overheating. I wonder if the openings could be enlarged to increase the cooling on it, but nevertheless, 45 amps is 50% more than I had with my generator and the 75 amp bursts can be useful at times too. The real benefit of this alternator over the PowerGen is it's price. This one is almost half the price. I plan to mount an original generator tag on the housing to make it look like a Chrysler unit.

The mount for it was 1/4" shorter than the original so I did have to shorten up my mounting bracket, but it wasn't difficult. But be forewarned that you may need to grind away the upper lip to make it clear the housing as the flanges are a little shorter. I found this out after I painted & mounted the bracket up and it was very annoying.

(StealthAlt.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments StealthAlt.jpg (186KB - 208 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Powerflite
Posted 2016-06-16 10:50 AM (#514306 - in reply to #514304)
Subject: RE: Stealth Alternator

Expert 5K+

To make it work, I gutted the original voltage regulator and soldered a heavy wire between the BAT & ARM connections inside the housing. I also cut the resistors under the housing and removed the small wires. Then I just bolted it up and connected the original wiring to it, except that I moved the Indicator lamp wire from the ARM connection to the FLD connection. I also added a line from the battery cable directly to the output of the alternator. I used this diagram as a guide. The alternator seems to work quite well and I am pleased with it.

Edit: I just noticed that the diagrams have the battery labeled improperly. They should reverse the + and - positions. This isn't a positive ground system and it won't work that way with an alternator either.

Edited by Powerflite 2016-06-16 11:12 AM

(GenConv1.jpg)

(Gen-Conv2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments GenConv1.jpg (44KB - 221 downloads)
Attachments Gen-Conv2.jpg (48KB - 224 downloads)
Powerflite
Posted 2016-06-16 10:55 AM (#514307 - in reply to #514306)
Subject: RE: Stealth Alternator

Expert 5K+

I am ordering a generator plate from the Netherlands at this company:

http://rdrnl.home.xs4all.nl/4UWPDodgePowerWagon.html

He charges an extra $18 to stamp it, I and I think it is well worth it to have him do it. But otherwise, you could just remove your old one and use that. Hopefully, I can mount it without effecting the alternator inside. I may just epoxy it on and epoxy the rivet heads on as well to be safe.

(ChryslerGeneratorPlate12V.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments ChryslerGeneratorPlate12V.jpg (25KB - 220 downloads)
mstrug
Posted 2016-06-16 12:43 PM (#514312 - in reply to #514304)
Subject: Re: Stealth Alternator

Expert 5K+

Probably installed with drive screws.

http://www.fastenerexperts.com/u-drive-screws-hammer-drive-screws/

Twist them out with mini nippers, tap them in with a brad hammer.

Marc.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)