The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Generator - delay in charging?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Electrical, Battery and ChargingMessage format

Greg P.
Posted 2016-05-11 10:45 AM (#511261)
Subject: Generator - delay in charging?

Elite Veteran

It's my '59 Windsor with 383. When I start the engine, the generator initially does not provide any charge. The Amps gauge shows a steady discharge proportional to load. Then, after a few minutes of running, the generator begins charging normally. It happens instantaneously, like someone turned on a switch. Once it's on, it stays on.

The delay before charging is random but varies anywhere from 2 minutes to 10 minutes. It seems to be gradually getting worse.

Any ideas on this? Generator problem? Voltage regulator problem? Anything I should look at to diagnose?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
BigBlockMopar
Posted 2016-05-11 2:59 PM (#511281 - in reply to #511261)
Subject: Re: Generator - delay in charging?

Expert

Probably oxidized contacts in the voltage regulator.
58coupe
Posted 2016-05-11 9:08 PM (#511327 - in reply to #511261)

Expert

On your generator system there are 3 sets of points in the regulator. one controls voltage, one amps and the third (largest set) is the cutout points. when you first start up these points close as soon as gen. voltage is higher than battery voltage and usually stay closed. they may open sometimes if your load is high at idle (lights, heater, etc.). These points will open when you shut off the engine or your generator would get fried and battery discharged. Sorry for the long answer, it could be the regulator is getting tired or dirty points, the generator output could also be low. You could check your system with a voltmeter. check what voltage it takes to close these points and generator output. If you are not sure how to do this, you need to find someone who is familiar with these older systems.
Greg P.
Posted 2016-05-12 11:13 AM (#511377 - in reply to #511261)
Subject: RE: Generator - delay in charging?

Elite Veteran

Thanks for the replies. It makes sense what you are saying. I've got a pretty good electrical/electronics background so I think I could get started on my own.

I have no idea of where I could take it to find someone who really understands these systems. None of the mechanics I know are even old enough to know anything about pre-alternator cars and even then they mostly do part swapping. Which I could always do I suppose. I mean it has to be either the generator or voltage regulator. I'd just prefer to know a part is bad before I swap it out.

does anyone know of a test procedure somewhere I can follow?
Beltran
Posted 2016-05-12 8:08 PM (#511427 - in reply to #511261)

Expert

There is a couple of procedures in the service manual. I had a similar problem. the rotor and contacts got old and dirty. I replaced the contacts and took the rotor out, put it on a wood lathe, spun it and used a fine flat file to clean up and flatten the contact point surface. That made it work much better. The service manual actually had that procedure in it as a rebuild method.
Greg P.
Posted 2016-05-16 4:40 PM (#511746 - in reply to #511261)

Elite Veteran

Thanks, I was just reading through the procedures in the service manual. Doesn't look too bad, but I don't have a 500A carbon pile rheostat to perform the full test.

It's interesting how in those days, the shops would actually repair and adjust instead of simply replacing parts.

That being said, I may just replace the voltage regulator and see if it makes a difference.

The weird thing to me is that once the generator actually kick on and begins charging, it works fine and steady, providing a solid 14V output.

We'll see how it goes.
ttotired
Posted 2016-05-16 6:29 PM (#511757 - in reply to #511261)

Expert 5K+

Brushes in the genny

Dont file the commutator (what the brushes run on), if its worn (most likely is) take it to a machine shop to have it turned and take note of wether it needs to be undercut (black stuff between the com bars must be lower than the bars) and there should be no swarf or bridging of the bars

The finish on the commutator should have a fine cross hatch pattern to give the brushes their initial wear in.

Brush to commutator contact is very important as the current the generator produces travels through those brushes, they are not like an alternator thats only carrying field current through the brush gear

Once apart, you may as well do the bearings as well and if you wash the field housing, be very careful as (from memory) the field coils are taped (held together) with paper tape and will fall apart if they are disturbed to much

Greg P.
Posted 2016-06-27 5:21 PM (#515283 - in reply to #511261)

Elite Veteran

Just thought I should follow up with some results.

I took a chance for $24 and bought a NOS Voltage Regulator on eBay.

I installed it yesterday and SUCCESS!

The charging systems works like it is 1959!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)