The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

58 fury 60 grand already
Moderators: ronbo97

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Swap Meet -> For Sale - EBAY, CRAIGSLIST & OTHER FINDSMessage format

mstrug
Posted 2015-04-18 7:56 AM (#475864)
Subject: 58 fury 60 grand already

Expert 5K+

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plymouth-Fury-Street-Rod-/221744342711?forc...

Here we have a very unique 1958 Plymouth Fury. This particular Fury has been restored back to it's traditional appearance with it's Buckskin beige paint and gold anodized trim. The body on this Plymouth is in excellent condition with no signs of rot or replacement panels or floors, very solid and straight with a perfect fit and finish. All doors, hood, and trunk lid are aligned properly and open and close as they should. All chrome, stainless, and gold trimming have been replaced with new and look great along with all glass and weather stripping. The interior was also finished back to it's original beauty with all new seat covers, door panels, and headliner. We decided to improve on the original style carpet and went with a European brown wool, looks really good and classy while the dash received a new set of gauges and trim. Now, for the drive train. This 58 Fury came equipped with a 290hp 318 dual quad V8 backed by a 3 speed TorqueFlite transmission. This was an awesome set up in it's day and quite the hot rod but we decided to raise the bar a little and give this well deserved Fury a new heart. There's nothing that will bring a big smile to a Mopar man like a "HEMI" will and that's what we decided on. The Hemi of choice was the 5.7 fuel injected 345hp/375trq V8 and have it matched to a Dodge 4 speed automatic overdrive transmission. The new hemi engine is outfitted with new chrome pulleys and brackets from Street & Performance and really looks great. The wiring harness also came from Street & Performance. The Fury is also equipped with power steering and disc brakes and we even added air conditioning and a hidden stereo system. As you can see it sits on a new set of chrome wire wheels and radial wide whites but we have the original Fury hubcaps in the trunk. This 58 Plymouth Fury drives superb out on the open road, very tight and sound and cruises at highway speeds with ease. You can now have a 1958 Plymouth Fury with the comfort and reliability of a late model car and it comes with a "HEMI", what is better than that?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
WO23Coronet
Posted 2015-04-18 2:30 PM (#475891 - in reply to #475864)
Subject: Re: 58 fury 60 grand already

I'm all for a modern drivetrain but it has to look right, that doesn't look right. I'd keep the 5.7 but stick an Edelbrock 2x4 intake for starters with the oval air cleaners. I'd also get rid of the shiny pulleys
Posted 2015-04-18 5:10 PM (#475900 - in reply to #475864)

Also that shift/gear indicator on the push button pod is hideous. I'm not a fan of having contrasting metal finishes like that.
GregCon
Posted 2015-04-18 6:57 PM (#475905 - in reply to #475864)

Expert

That shifter would be great if it were a manual trans, but it isn't, and isn't.

toddst
Posted 2015-04-18 7:06 PM (#475907 - in reply to #475864)

Elite Veteran

And that HEMI emblem has to go. In my ever-so-humble opinion a Fury should stay original. You want a modern HEMI? Buy a new Charger.
ttotired
Posted 2015-04-18 7:16 PM (#475909 - in reply to #475864)

Expert 5K+

I have to admit that I dont like the look of that engine in there either

Maybe because it looks so original until you open the hood or something, not sure, just doesnt look right

I have seen others and have liked them?????

PlymouthFury
Posted 2015-04-19 12:16 PM (#475976 - in reply to #475864)

Expert

Ruined in my opinion. Stupid hemi badges... Horrible shift indicator...engine that's way out of place. And I think wire wheels look atrocious!
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2015-04-19 1:43 PM (#475986 - in reply to #475905)

I'd paint it red and white and put a 59 Dodge noseclip on it.
Mike McCandless
Posted 2015-04-19 2:19 PM (#475988 - in reply to #475864)

Expert

I can't imagine the level of hate you guys have for my cars lol.

I think it's awesome. I'm not a big fan of all the chrome under the hood, but to each his own. You can make the pushbutton work with the 5.7, not always easy finding the transmission setups. I've used that same lokar shifter, nice piece.
The Chrysler Kid
Posted 2015-04-19 8:26 PM (#476026 - in reply to #475864)

Expert

I hate the digital indicator and the autozone stick on Hemi badges. But, other than that it's a very nice car!
Mike McCandless
Posted 2015-04-19 8:57 PM (#476029 - in reply to #475864)

Expert

Those are factory hemi raised badges, not stickers
Cmangeot
Posted 2015-04-19 9:21 PM (#476033 - in reply to #476029)

Extreme Veteran

"Hey Kid, you like old cars? You gotta...look around, you know, Route 66... Cheap coffee, old-time gas stations.....get it, the old days.....nostalgia...".
The car is awesome, just needs the goofy late stuff stripped. Where is the marilyn monroe photo, the big boy platter, the coke sign, and the stuff that REALLY makes the old mopar hobby cool? I ain't buying an old car unless I feel like I'm in a nostalgic place and not without a certificate of authenticity that the car has driven on the "mother road".

Sorry, but the kitche makes me want to vomit.
Ive played guitar, bass, drums, etc. since I was 5 yrs old. I get the same irritation when people ask me if I'm "into music". The answer is, " yes, on a level that you will never understand. While I don't fault you for your novice, I don't choose to talk about how " cool mopar stuff is", or anything else which I have already known for the past 30 years. ".
GregCon
Posted 2015-04-19 9:43 PM (#476039 - in reply to #475864)

Expert

Really, the engine is the heart of the vehicle. When you put a vastly different engine into a car, it changes the car so drastically that it no longer is true to itself.

You can change wheels around, or do a different color, or shave some trim, and it doesn't really make the vehicle that different. Even the trans. But the engine? Nope.

The 5.7L is a great engine but it doesn't belong in a '58 Fury, not if you want the car to still be a '58 Fury.

It's the difference between wearing a dress/lipstick/heels and having your pee-pee replaced with a wee-wee.

Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2015-04-19 10:56 PM (#476045 - in reply to #476033)

Cmangeot - 2015-04-20 6:21 PM

"Hey Kid, you like old cars? You gotta...look around, you know, Route 66... Cheap coffee, old-time gas stations.....get it, the old days.....nostalgia...".
The car is awesome, just needs the goofy late stuff stripped. Where is the marilyn monroe photo, the big boy platter, the coke sign, and the stuff that REALLY makes the old mopar hobby cool? I ain't buying an old car unless I feel like I'm in a nostalgic place and not without a certificate of authenticity that the car has driven on the "mother road".

Sorry, but the kitche makes me want to vomit.
Ive played guitar, bass, drums, etc. since I was 5 yrs old. I get the same irritation when people ask me if I'm "into music". The answer is, " yes, on a level that you will never understand. While I don't fault you for your novice, I don't choose to talk about how " cool mopar stuff is", or anything else which I have already known for the past 30 years. ".

==========================================

Cut yerself an extra slice of raisin pie for being so spot on. I have that
music discussion at least once a month. The cars .... Jesus, .. I give up !
Paul Hettick
Posted 2015-04-19 11:58 PM (#476051 - in reply to #475864)

Elite Veteran

And ditch the hokey skirts too!
61forfun
Posted 2015-04-20 12:02 AM (#476052 - in reply to #475864)

Extreme Veteran

Hilarious thread Lol
57plybel
Posted 2015-04-20 5:44 AM (#476071 - in reply to #475864)
Subject: RE: 58 fury 60 grand already

Extreme Veteran

I'd be more worried about the sedan rear quarter panel thats been grafted in to the coupe quarter.... crease stops short.... Left hand side

Colin

Mike McCandless
Posted 2015-04-20 9:21 AM (#476082 - in reply to #475864)

Expert

Like I said, most would hate the cars I have. We put 30-40k miles a year on the range of the car collection. My Dad's 300G which has a 5.7 hemi in it, has over 50k miles on it since restoration just a few years ago. My 70 cuda has a 5.7 in it, gets 25mpg and runs flawless. Getting ready to put one in the 60 plymouth wagon as well. We don't cut these cars up doing this transition. We don't trailer ANY of our cars. If the weather is nice, we drive one of the cars. I know what we do isn't for everyone. I personally would never own a trailer queen, yet tons of people have them. The market needs BOTH types. The trailer queens that come out 3x a year for the mopar show to be shown off to the mopar crowd that already knows about the car. The market also needs someone that will drive it 70mph on the interstate, park at walmart, grocery store, home depot and anywhere else. To expose the car to people who never go to car shows. These cars were built during a time when 55 was the max speed limit on the limited freeway that existed. We modernize the cars to make them safe. Took 3 letter cars to GoodGuys in Raleigh this past weekend. All 3 cars ran 70 with the cruise set without issue.

The funny part is saying that car isn't a fury anymore. When was the last time a 58 fury got anywhere CLOSE to 60k at auction? Guess that motor really killed the value.
GregCon
Posted 2015-04-20 11:03 AM (#476091 - in reply to #475864)

Expert

You can modernize the cars with good brakes, better tires, and maybe AC or whatever. But pushing a 300G to 70MPH is something a 413 is quite capable of doing, (I think???)

If you really need to modernize under the hood, convert to EFI and you're 95% of the way there.

But assuming modernization is the ticket, you should not stop at the engine, brakes, and tires. You should add air bags, a killer sound system, and change the sheetmetal and frame to take advantage of modern advances in collision withstand ability and aerodynamics. You should likewise change the glass to modern lightweight and crack-prone glass, and change the seats for better lumbar support. Where do you stop?

I know the country is still not 100% homogenous but anyone who drives a 300G to WalMart in most areas is asking for a serious beating. Park your 300G at WalMart and there's a fair chance it won't be there when you get back. There's an even better chance it will have been dinged or had the front fender dragged off by someone with a dually and a trailer who doesn't even have a SS number. One thing about old cars is they are especially easy to steal.

As for exposing people to old cars, you're not doing anyone any favors when you pop the hood and they see a 5.7L engine when they should be looking at 2-4's on a long ram setup. If your goal is to enlighten the public, enlighten them properly.

The amount of money the 58 brings (assuming the bidders are even legit) has nothing to do with the car's validity. Even the cheapest, most clapped out 58 that still has it's proper engine is more valid. The car is not a piece of junk, it's just much of a 58 Fury anymore.

Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2015-04-20 1:04 PM (#476096 - in reply to #475909)

I own a pair of TT trucks. One is pictured below. There is someone currently
offering a near identical truck on eBay with a 1.8 VW diesel under the hood with
a longwinded bit of fluff about how reliable and awesome this engine makes the
truck.

As a guy who owns and knows these trucks, there are two gear ratios and a
worm drive rear end possible, a low speed 7-to-1 ratio and a "high speed" ratio
of 5-to-1. No matter what you stick in front of that rear end, it is going to have
a top speed of 35, be it a #@! 426 Hemi or an 8000 horse Cummins under the
hood.

The jones is in the wheels. If you want to keep the period look of the wood
spoke wheels, you are pretty much limited to keeping that rear end and hub
situation. And since Model T's are notorious for flex frames and other factors
that don't agree with high power drivetrains, any sort of use of one in a hotrod/
retrofit scenario usually involves a new frame and very little of an original T.

That said, a stock T engine is super basic and super reliable. You can get parts
for one all day long and they're cheap. And while not particularly powerful, they
push that limited speed rear end along perfectly fine. In other words, changing
out the engine and transmission was utterly pointless in terms of performance
or reliability gains. If the objective was to simply see if it could be done or spend
a lot of time and money, then I guess we can call it "mission accomplished" !

Some folks have a simmering "distrust" of old machinery. That is it somehow
automatically unreliable or prone to breakage/breakdown simply because it is
old. And I suppose SOME old machines were poorly designed or prone to crapping
out. But most were not and in the case of fin era Mopars or Model T's, their integrity
is time proven and changing them out is more an exercise in personal preference
than avoidance of trouble.

(26 Mullan Hill 2015 22 Mar.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 26 Mullan Hill 2015 22 Mar.jpg (75KB - 148 downloads)
Mike McCandless
Posted 2015-04-20 1:30 PM (#476102 - in reply to #476091)

Expert

GregCon - 2015-04-20 11:03 AM

You can modernize the cars with good brakes, better tires, and maybe AC or whatever. But pushing a 300G to 70MPH is something a 413 is quite capable of doing, (I think???)

If you really need to modernize under the hood, convert to EFI and you're 95% of the way there.

We've tested FI for numerous companies, rarely find it worth the hassle or cost.

But assuming modernization is the ticket, you should not stop at the engine, brakes, and tires. You should add air bags, a killer sound system, and change the sheetmetal and frame to take advantage of modern advances in collision withstand ability and aerodynamics. You should likewise change the glass to modern lightweight and crack-prone glass, and change the seats for better lumbar support. Where do you stop?

You're just ranting for the sake of ranting. Comparing driveline modifications to structural changes is a totally different argument, a bad one at that.

I know the country is still not 100% homogenous but anyone who drives a 300G to WalMart in most areas is asking for a serious beating. Park your 300G at WalMart and there's a fair chance it won't be there when you get back. There's an even better chance it will have been dinged or had the front fender dragged off by someone with a dually and a trailer who doesn't even have a SS number. One thing about old cars is they are especially easy to steal.

Yet we've managed to put over 100k miles on our old cars in the past 5 years. None of them have been stolen. None of them had suffered parking lot damage. I had my 300C at walmart 2x this past week without issue. I go to the grocery store a few times per week in something with fins. At the end of the day, it's a car. I have insurance on the cars incase something happens to them. Whatever does happen, can be fixed. The sun will come up tomorrow regardless of what happens.

As for exposing people to old cars, you're not doing anyone any favors when you pop the hood and they see a 5.7L engine when they should be looking at 2-4's on a long ram setup. If your goal is to enlighten the public, enlighten them properly.

How many times have you popped the hood on a car, outside of a car event? A car event where people generally know what the factory look is for. I can do a 5.7 swap cheaper than someone can rebuild an old motor and have something is 10x more reliable and gets way better gas mileage. Our cars get driven. If you walked up to my dad's 300G you would NO clue what the motor was if the hood was shut.

The amount of money the 58 brings (assuming the bidders are even legit) has nothing to do with the car's validity. Even the cheapest, most clapped out 58 that still has it's proper engine is more valid. The car is not a piece of junk, it's just much of a 58 Fury anymore.

What it shows is that the buying market wants cars like this. You can buy restored 58 fury's all day long for less money. It's not like he took an ultra rare car and killed it. There are no shortages of these cars. This is why I sold the 60 imperial convertible I had. I respected that due to the rarity, it needed to be restored back to original. I knew we wouldn't do that, so I sold it.

This hobby is dying. Go to a chrysler event and count the number of people under 50, it's a VERY small number. I understand the purist and their mindset, I respect it. It's just not what we choose to do. People act like these cars are people, it's a car. We should enjoy them how we see fit. If you don't like how something is being done, that's fine. I just don't understand this "ruining" of a car. This is why the car hobby gets tiresome. A new generation tries to put their touch on things and the older generation has a fit over it, discouraging it. I hate to tell you, but in 20 years, very few of these cars will be desirable by the younger generation. You can choose to be the grumpy old man on the hill or relax a little and just be happy someone under 50 is paying attention to the hobby.
GregCon
Posted 2015-04-20 2:32 PM (#476110 - in reply to #475864)

Expert

That's the problem with the 'market'. It's become infested with jamokes who watch Gas Monkey Garage and will pay just about anything to be 'cool'. Just because someone will pay for something that doesn't make it right. They sell lots of velvet Elvis paintings each year but I still don't see any hanging in the Louvre.

It's actually a very good argument to suggest that structural changes are no different than an engine change. Again, where do you draw the line? In fact, you could change all the sheetmetal on a 300G to 2014 300 sheetmetal and the car would still run and drive like a 300G. What you're really saying is because it would be harder to change the sheetmetal than theengine, the engine is somehow more forgivable.

I would say 75% of the time I drive an old car anywhere, and stop long enough for someone to talk to me, they ask about what's under the hood and the hood gets popped. Especially when they have an inkling that it might be a Hemi or a 2-4 Long Ram. I seldom buy gas without popping the hood and only after someone has asked to see it.

I like to modify cars as much as anyone. My 68 Cuda has a 499" engine that is in no way original. But there's a big difference between a 68 cuda and a 58 300. And of course the 499" engine is a variation of a vintage-era Plymouth engine.

I could tell your dad's car is not carrying a 413 the minute I heard it run or if I were to drive it. The engine is the heart and soul of a car. Change it at your own risk.

Mike McCandless
Posted 2015-04-20 3:32 PM (#476115 - in reply to #475864)

Expert

We do change them at our own risk. Considering I don't sell anything we work on, it doesn't really impact me. This is what my dad likes to do and I'll continue to fund it for as long as he's alive. I treat all my cars, like a car. The gigantic difference in your statement is that EVERYTHING that has been done to convert these cars to modern drivelines can be reversed by a future owner if that is what they desire. If you change the bodywork, it is now getting into the area of a different car. What is being done can be undone. Until then, we'll continue to drive our cars and keep them off the trailers.
big m
Posted 2015-04-20 4:01 PM (#476122 - in reply to #475864)

Expert 5K+

I may not agree with what has been done to this car, but it's the owner's prerogative as it's his to do with as he pleases.

That said, I agree with statements on both sides of the fence, except that these are plentiful cars. I look for them all the while, and have seen only a handful of authentic Furys pop up for sale in the last ten years, most being restored ones sold by dealers.

I also drive my vintage cars as daily drivers, as I dislike new cars and refuse to work on them.

---John
ttotired
Posted 2015-04-20 6:32 PM (#476136 - in reply to #475864)

Expert 5K+

I should qualify my dis like of the engine in the above car

It just looks bad.

I think its one of Mikes cars, but there is a viper engined plymouth that appears on here every so often that I would like to have

Funny thing is, if I was to change the engine in my plymouth to something other than the poly thats in it or a bb crossram, I would choose an SRT engine before an early hemi, just because, if its not going to be the correct engine for the car (no hemis in 60 plymouths that I know of), then modern power and reliability would be the go

I do like to keep the bones of a car correct to what they were built (or could have been built) to, but a later engine change could easily happen if its a case of being able to finish and drive a car or it sits as an ornament

I will say though, that if someone put another car, identical to this one but with the correct engine in it and I had to choose, I would take the one with the correct engine, but if this one was done further, top chop more of a custom interior, basically more hot rodded, then my decision could easily change, its like they started, but didnt go far enough

Posted 2015-04-20 10:46 PM (#476168 - in reply to #475864)

ttotired is exactly right, the builder of the car in question here restored everything EXCEPT the drivetrain to factory styling, and then compromised that factory correctness by installing a modern drivetrain. It's not that he "de-valued" the car, its that he painted himself into a corner with his design. Let me explain:

This car is too "stock" looking to appeal to hot rod/custom enthusiasts
This car is too "modified" to appeal to MoPar purists
This car is too "fancy" to appeal to the rat-rod crowd
This car is too "old" to appeal to the muscle crowd

So in the end, you have a car that doesn't fit into the common "genres" of hobbyists and buyers; by doing what he did, while reversible, he may have limited the buying pool. Just look at the bidders, it is TWO guys going back and forth. This is the case of appealing to a very narrow market and potentially losing public interest due to crossing the genre-specific "norms".
mstrug
Posted 2015-04-21 5:36 AM (#476181 - in reply to #475864)

Expert 5K+

PICS:

(fury5.7.1.jpg)

(fury5.7.2.jpg)

(fury5.7.3.jpg)

(fury5.7.4.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments fury5.7.1.jpg (23KB - 139 downloads)
Attachments fury5.7.2.jpg (51KB - 146 downloads)
Attachments fury5.7.3.jpg (41KB - 143 downloads)
Attachments fury5.7.4.jpg (61KB - 144 downloads)
GregCon
Posted 2015-04-21 12:09 PM (#476213 - in reply to #475864)

Expert

To be sure, people can do what they want with their cars.

The 'sadness' of it, to me, is that a 58 Fury or any 300 came stock with a very fine engine. Legendary engines, even. Why replace it? Using a modern engine tells the world 'this is a cool old car but the engine it came with was a junker so we've fixed that.'

If you're gonna mod a 300, I'd personally be far more impressed with a 413 under the hood still wearing its long rams, converted to EFI. The amount of 'car crafting' involved in making that work would be more satisfying than a basic engine swap and would probably result in a very sweet ride. As far as EFI systems go, a FAST XFI setup would give you more performance, adjustability, and reliability than you could ask. Plus it would all look 95% stock when you popped the hood.

As for that Fury, BTW, that upper radiator hose says it all to me....lol.

1960fury
Posted 2015-04-21 3:27 PM (#476227 - in reply to #476213)

Expert 5K+

GregCon - 2015-04-21 12:09 PM

To be sure, people can do what they want with their cars.

The 'sadness' of it, to me, is that a 58 Fury or any 300 came stock with a very fine engine. Legendary engines, even. Why replace it? Using a modern engine tells the world 'this is a cool old car but the engine it came with was a junker so we've fixed that.'

i second that. we mopar people lucked out. we not only got the best looking cars we also got the greatest engines ever produced in automobile history, but some "experts" are still not satisfied.
i mentioned that before, anyway, but i have driven my 383 equipped fury for many years since the 80s daily (still drive about 8k/year) and if you drive that kind of car spirited it's impossible not to run into a little road race from time to time over here. it happens about every 2-3 weeks. just had a little fun couple of days ago with a newer audi v8, 4 weeks ago it was a mercedes v8. until now i have never lost a race. that 383 in the feather light uniboy is king. its dead reliable and revs to 6k like a tiny sports car engine, never runs hot and always starts at any temperature.
it's a VERY high mileage engine but it never caused any problems ever in all these years. other than oil changes and a new timing chain/gears once it never required any service. of course i did the usual mods (and a bit more) but the heads have never been off. it still runs like new almost 56 years after it has been put together at the factory.

i made similar experiences with my other big block mopars. in my book the best engines ever build.
sure new cars use less fuel but wth and thats about it. they simply do not last as long at that power level and sorry, i can't help myself, they are queer. i can't stand new cars and wouldn't want to disgrace my car by replacing its 50s motor with a ******* engine out of a ******new car. its like ripping the heart and soul out of it. its no longer an old car then. people who replace these great engines simply just want to look cool and do not care about old cars (or anything old). they rather play around with the computer than tuning a carburetor.
i personally get a kick out of the thought i'm running an engine that old (and smoking new cars with it) that was around back in the day. just hearing it makes me sick in a good way. even after all these years it doesn't wear off. a new engines sound wouldn't touch me at all.

Edited by 1960fury 2015-04-21 3:34 PM
Mike McCandless
Posted 2015-04-21 4:22 PM (#476232 - in reply to #475864)

Expert

You're not out running any modern car with any sort power in these 4k/lb monsters. 0-60 in around 7-8 seconds for a big power plant, which can be done by almost anything these days. It's good that you don't want to "disgrace" your car that way. To say that someone doesn't care about old cars simply because of the change is childish. Just an FYI, these motors have carbs on them.
1960fury
Posted 2015-04-21 5:45 PM (#476241 - in reply to #476232)

Expert 5K+

Mike McCandless - 2015-04-21 4:22 PM

You're not out running any modern car with any sort power in these 4k/lb monsters. 0-60 in around 7-8 seconds for a big power plant, which can be done by almost anything these days. It's good that you don't want to "disgrace" your car that way. To say that someone doesn't care about old cars simply because of the change is childish. Just an FYI, these motors have carbs on them.

no? i can't out run ANY new car? that is interesting. you have no clue what you are talking about or how to make OLD cars faster so you are simply dumping new engines into old cars.

my car, at less than 1700kg, is way lighter than any modern performance sedan and does better than 7 secs/62mp and i wasn't talking straight line stop light dragging, i did not build it for that. i'm talking country back roads with speeds over 150 mph. i'm not racing $$$ porsches. so far no other, so called performance sedan, or golf gti etc was able to keep up. only had one draw against a modified turbo charged calibra.

if you do your homework you can get the equivalent of around 100hp over stock without even touching the engine. simple physic. and those big blocks are good for natural aspirated streetable 550+ horsepower without block modifications. there is absolutely no need to dump a new engine into an old mopar.

Edited by 1960fury 2015-04-21 5:54 PM
GregCon
Posted 2015-04-21 6:32 PM (#476244 - in reply to #475864)

Expert

Wow....you are running carbs on 5.7L engines? You removed the single biggest benefit to a modern engine? That really defies me. Oh well, it's your car.

Yes, most old and big cars won't post the same numbers as a modern car, or at least not better numbers. But that's because most modern cars have been 'tuned' to do much better off the line thanks to 6,7,8 speed transmissions and lots of other improvements. But roll on from 30 or 40 MPH and you'll start to need a pretty healthy modern car to outrun a BB Mopar powered anything.

Then again, I'm not out to set any speed records in a full sized FL car anyway. The average 318/354/392/413 pushes me around just fine.

Here's my idea of a modernized old Mopar, a car I sold last year. An 'old school' 526" Hemi with FAST EFI. No carbs, no bad manners, and lots of power.

(engine lr.jpg)

(engine lr.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments engine lr.jpg (191KB - 137 downloads)
Attachments engine lr.jpg (191KB - 137 downloads)
Mike McCandless
Posted 2015-04-21 11:59 PM (#476298 - in reply to #476241)

Expert

no? i can't out run ANY new car? that is interesting. you have no clue what you are talking about or how to make OLD cars faster so you are simply dumping new engines into old cars.

Three generation of drag racing world champs in my family. I've had the fastest viper convertible record and fastest viper on street tires for years. I've made over 1k runs at a drag strip. I've owned a drag strip. I've had 2 cars that made over 1500hp. You're right, I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to racing haha.

Mike McCandless
Posted 2015-04-22 12:04 AM (#476300 - in reply to #476244)

Expert

GregCon - 2015-04-21 6:32 PM

Wow....you are running carbs on 5.7L engines? You removed the single biggest benefit to a modern engine? That really defies me. Oh well, it's your car.

How many conversions have you done? That's right, none. Chrysler sold both versions, we happen to have some of the carb versions that works just fine. I have a FI one on my cuda. Ran a 2-4 setup on the plymouth. We tried all types just to see how each were. The hemi is cool, always liked them. I have over a dozen cars that still remain factory. I have 3 cars that are modern conversion, 70 cuda, 61 4 door plymouth and 60 plymouth wagon. None of these are high dollar cars. It's not like a 100k dollar car was converted. There are PLENTY of any of those cars. You guys just want to get your panties in a wad for nothing. Never seen people get so upset over SOMEONE else's car. If it's so heart breaking, buy the car from me and put it back how you want. If you want to convert my dads car over, buy it, throw a 413 in it and you can have all your originality back.
KcImperial
Posted 2015-04-22 2:04 AM (#476306 - in reply to #476102)

Expert

Mike McCandless - 2015-04-20 12:30 PM

This hobby is dying. Go to a Chrysler event and count the number of people under 50, it's a VERY small number. I understand the purist and their mindset, I respect it. It's just not what we choose to do. People act like these cars are people, it's a car. We should enjoy them how we see fit. If you don't like how something is being done, that's fine. I just don't understand this "ruining" of a car. This is why the car hobby gets tiresome. A new generation tries to put their touch on things and the older generation has a fit over it, discouraging it. I hate to tell you, but in 20 years, very few of these cars will be desirable by the younger generation. You can choose to be the grumpy old man on the hill or relax a little and just be happy someone under 50 is paying attention to the hobby.

Very well said. I couldn't agree more with this.
Marker
Posted 2015-04-22 2:17 AM (#476308 - in reply to #476227)

Regular

i second that. we mopar people lucked out. we not only got the best looking cars we also got the greatest engines ever produced in automobile history, but some "experts" are still not satisfied.
i mentioned that before, anyway, but i have driven my 383 equipped fury for many years since the 80s daily (still drive about 8k/year) and if you drive that kind of car spirited it's impossible not to run into a little road race from time to time over here. it happens about every 2-3 weeks. just had a little fun couple of days ago with a newer audi v8, 4 weeks ago it was a mercedes v8. until now i have never lost a race. that 383 in the feather light uniboy is king. its dead reliable and revs to 6k like a tiny sports car engine, never runs hot and always starts at any temperature.
it's a VERY high mileage engine but it never caused any problems ever in all these years. other than oil changes and a new timing chain/gears once it never required any service. of course i did the usual mods (and a bit more) but the heads have never been off. it still runs like new almost 56 years after it has been put together at the factory.

This makes me nolstalgic for the one car I owned with a 383 - a '66 Satellite, with the four barrel and dual exhaust. I bought it in '82 for $500 with 130,000 miles on it, and used it as a daily driver for another three years, even making the move with us from Montreal to Toronto (where I later sold it, with 160,000 on it, to a guy from near Lake Simcoe who, I like to think, might even still have it). That car was great, though rust was taking its toll. It never failed us, cost us a lot in gas, and had a nice rumble from the turn-down exhaust pipes exiting ahead of the axle. We'd cruise along the highway, and when a Corvette or Trans-Am of that era would pass us I'd just get on the gas and catch up and stay with them. MUCH to their displeasure! Sure, they could out-handle the Satellite, but straight line I just kept on the pedal and we'd hit close to 100 and that was usually enough for me and that old car. My wife loved that machine as much as I did, and while she and I are no longer together I'd be happy to get back together with it.

Disclaimer: I don't own an FL car, but came close once. In Toronto in '85 we looked at a '59 Adventurer for $700 (those taillights!). It was in rougher shape than the Satellite, and my wife did not like it much at all. She said if we're going to fix up an old car it'd be the Satellite, not the "finned weirdo car". Oh well. I might one day get myself an FL car, probably a '59 Plymouth or Desoto, though I think a 1960 Plymouth wagon dressed in black would make an interesting statement.)
1960fury
Posted 2015-04-22 6:57 AM (#476318 - in reply to #476298)

Expert 5K+

Mike McCandless - 2015-04-21 11:59 PM

Three generation of drag racing world champs in my family. I've had the fastest viper convertible record and fastest viper on street tires for years. I've made over 1k runs at a drag strip. I've owned a drag strip. I've had 2 cars that made over 1500hp. You're right, I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to racing haha.

i doubt that a person that makes a silly statement like "you can't outrun ANY new car with a 383 plymouth" achieved that with his own hands. any idiot can buy a fast car. it is one statement that says all about you. whether you have 3 generations of drag racing champs in your family or owned 1000 drag strips or not. it simply shows your ignorance. period.
Mike McCandless
Posted 2015-04-22 9:08 AM (#476326 - in reply to #476318)

Expert

i doubt that a person that makes a silly statement like "you can't outrun ANY new car with a 383 plymouth" achieved that with his own hands. any idiot can buy a fast car. it is one statement that says all about you. whether you have 3 generations of drag racing champs in your family or owned 1000 drag strips or not. it simply shows your ignorance. period.

Your inability to read is amazing. I said you aren't going to out run any modern car with any sort of power. You referenced new V8 audi's and benz. Yes, I'm saying your worn out 383 is not going to out run a new model V8 mercedes. Yet, I'm the one that's crazy.

As far as the building thing, you're right, we're a family of idiots that have never built anything. The irony of this statement, given my family heritage, only has one of us looking like an idiot, I assure you.
Mike McCandless
Posted 2015-04-22 1:21 PM (#476353 - in reply to #475864)

Expert

1950 Nash ambassador stock motor
1957 300C Stock motor
1958 300D Stock Motor
1958 chrysler limo stock motor
1959 Nash Ambassador wagon stock motor
1961 Imperial stock motor
1962 Imperial convertible stock motor
1962 imperial convertible stock motor
1963 Imperial custom stock motor
1963 Dodge 880 wagon stock motor
1965 Imperial convertible stock motor
1965 Chrysler 300L convertible

Those are the cars in my collection that are still stock. ALL but 2 of those cars have had motors that were rebuilt by us. Almost all of those cars have had the entire front end, transmission, rearends rebuilt by us. The only thing we don't do to a car is paint and body. Half of those cars have been 100% rewired by us. All new fuel and brake lines, hand bent by us. Please keep telling me how we never put our hands on cars and don't know anything about cars. This just counts the cars that are stock and that I currently own, not the ones I've sold. Doesn't count my brothers cars or my dads cars. My teenage nephews have built their first motor, transmission and rearend this past year. They rebuilt their entire Junior Dragster on their own (one of them is world champ). This is not a business for us, it's a family passion handed down by my father. Who was a factory backed race car driver for Mopar. Was the first person to get a factory hemi 4 speed race car from mopar in 65 and owned the largest mopar dedicated race car parts business for 20 years. I built over one hundred 8 3/4 rear ends before I graduated high school. So please, keep telling me how we don't put our hands on parts. How we don't know what we're doing. That we've never built anything. I can assure you, we have built far more than you can imagine, just never felt the need to expand upon it to this level.

Edited by Mike McCandless 2015-04-22 1:22 PM
1960fury
Posted 2015-04-22 3:28 PM (#476361 - in reply to #476326)

Expert 5K+

Mike McCandless - 2015-04-22 9:08 AM

Your inability to read is amazing. I said you aren't going to out run any modern car with any sort of power. You referenced new V8 audi's and benz. Yes, I'm saying your worn out 383 is not going to out run a new model V8 mercedes. Yet, I'm the one that's crazy.

As far as the building thing, you're right, we're a family of idiots that have never built anything. The irony of this statement, given my family heritage, only has one of us looking like an idiot, I assure you.

the nice thing about an internet discussion is that all that has been posted and quoted can be read again and again. so who is unable to read is obvious for everyone.

i said newer audi v8 and mercedes v8. again, its up there. you are quoting me things i never said. backing up your silliness with silly statements and silly lies. and you clearly said i can't outrun ANY new car with ANY sort of power. if we still needed proof that you are ignorant (not really) thats it.

fact is you know nothing about my car or my engine and the power it makes yet you claim things you can't know. so who is the idiot?

if you know what you are doing you can get easily 450+ hp even from a high mileage 383 (thats only 71hp/liter) and my car weighs less than most new higher priced cars. yes, my fury runs circles around my brothers 2008 mercedes cls, if only for the fact that my car is way lighter and has better weight distribution.

so i repeat my statement you are ignorant and you have no clue what you are talking about or how to make old cars faster. thats why you are dumping new engines into old car.
and AGAIN. don't quote me things i never said, i never said anything against your family. why do you bring up your family and your "heritage" again and again? it doesn't help you or makes you smarter. your statements are here and are clearly nonsense. so do you family a favor and stop posting silly statements.

Edited by 1960fury 2015-04-22 6:28 PM
60crossram
Posted 2015-04-22 3:48 PM (#476363 - in reply to #475864)

Elite Veteran

They are not motors they are engines.
1960fury
Posted 2015-04-22 3:48 PM (#476364 - in reply to #476308)

Expert 5K+

Marker - 2015-04-22 2:17 AM

This makes me nolstalgic for the one car I owned with a 383 - a '66 Satellite, with the four barrel and dual exhaust. I bought it in '82 for $500 with 130,000 miles on it, and used it as a daily driver for another three years, even making the move with us from Montreal to Toronto (where I later sold it, with 160,000 on it, to a guy from near Lake Simcoe who, I like to think, might even still have it). That car was great, though rust was taking its toll. It never failed us, cost us a lot in gas, and had a nice rumble from the turn-down exhaust pipes exiting ahead of the axle. We'd cruise along the highway, and when a Corvette or Trans-Am of that era would pass us I'd just get on the gas and catch up and stay with them. MUCH to their displeasure! Sure, they could out-handle the Satellite, but straight line I just kept on the pedal and we'd hit close to 100 and that was usually enough for me and that old car. My wife loved that machine as much as I did, and while she and I are no longer together I'd be happy to get back together with it.

yes those low deck bb are almost indestructible. my 383 fury was my first car back in the 80s. i still was a teenager and it was my first car so i did crazy things with it. yet up to this day it never caused any trouble.
professional engine builders know about the qualities of the little mopar big blocks. close to perfect bore/stroke ratio with little rod angle. and the bottom (Y-block) is very strong. these are known to be one of the most reliable engines ever build.
GregCon
Posted 2015-04-22 4:05 PM (#476366 - in reply to #475864)

Expert

As I said, anyone can do what they want with their own cars. I don't care if someone mods their car, but I get a bit edgy when they then try to tell me why it's 'better' than what they replaced if the reasoning doesn't hold water.

The logic of carb'ing a modern engine that was EFI to start with is beyond me....but then that's why I don't own one.

Putting a modern engine into a FL car....some reasons I could swallow are:

1) "I wanted to"
2) "I wanted to see how it would work"
3) "I was paid a lot of money to do it"
4) "I was stuck on a desert island and that's all that was available"

But reasons I can't swallow are along the lines of "It's better", "The original engine wasn't reliable enough", or "The original engine didn't have enough power"

Mike McCandless
Posted 2015-04-22 6:30 PM (#476375 - in reply to #475864)

Expert

Never said it didn't have enough power. I said the modern engine is very reliable, cheap, great on gas and has been problem free. Anyone that has owned the 2-4 cross ram setup knows they're great on the interstate but not exactly ideal in slow traffic. It was just a personal preference to do it and see how it would go. Sorry you guys get your feelings hurt that 1/5 of my collection has modern motors in them.

Still laughing at fury's comments that we have no idea how to make old cars go fast. For 25 years a large portion of race cars running mopar motors came from my families shop. We were running 9's on a 9" tire back in the early 90's, winning all of the hot rod street car shootouts in a 69 roadrunner.
guyman
Posted 2015-04-22 6:40 PM (#476376 - in reply to #475864)

Extreme Veteran

If you chrome every thing on the engine bay., you have less drag and the car will run much faster!...gotta increase the horse power at least by 50 HP.
GregCon
Posted 2015-04-22 6:59 PM (#476377 - in reply to #475864)

Expert

My feelings aren't hurt....are yours?

MPG? That's fine but does it really matter? Especially with gas a $2/gallon..who cares? Even at $4/gallon the average person who can afford to own and run a fleet of $75,000 cars can't be hurting that bad that gas MPG matters.

I won't get into your family's past but suffice it to say that if ANYONE should be able to make a 413 2-4 setup run well, it's a family with such credentials. I'd take it as a matter of pride.
1960fury
Posted 2015-04-22 7:47 PM (#476380 - in reply to #476375)

Expert 5K+

Mike McCandless - 2015-04-22 6:30 PM

Still laughing at fury's comments that we have no idea how to make old cars go fast. For 25 years a large portion of race cars running mopar motors came from my families shop. We were running 9's on a 9" tire back in the early 90's, winning all of the hot rod street car shootouts in a 69 roadrunner.

see, you are AGAIN misquoting me. what's up with you? and again you bring up your family? i said YOU have no idea how to make old cars go fast. thats why you are doing what you're doing.
i don't know your family and can only judge YOU by your comments. and your comments are silly and show your ignorance. its clear for everyone to see. and even if you own all drag strips in the country that does not make your stupid statements true.

unlike you i know what i'm doing and i know what my car can do. i invested lots of time and work to make it perform the way i want and i'm doing it for almost 30 years and i'm getting tired of getting called a liar by ignorant people like you who dump new engines into old cars because they think old mopar v8s are unreliable.
in your statement above you make it look as if old mopar engines are troublesome. nothing could be more untrue. and i wonder how much less gas uses a NEW engine fitted with a carburetor (wtf?) again, there is absolutely NO reason to disgrace an old mopar with a new engine.
these cars were driven daily year in year out for decades by millions of people around the world from the african deserts to alaska in days before the mobile phone. old mopar v8s are dead reliable. probably more reliable than any new engine.

Edited by 1960fury 2015-04-22 8:05 PM
60crossram
Posted 2015-04-22 8:42 PM (#476381 - in reply to #475864)

Elite Veteran

Smiles everyone, Smiles. DeSoto lives !!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)