The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Backup light mod for 1956 Plymouth and Plodge.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> The Exhaust Pipe - Modification & PerformanceMessage format

Old Ray
Posted 2014-09-18 8:14 PM (#456739)
Subject: Backup light mod for 1956 Plymouth and Plodge.

Extreme Veteran

As you know the 1956 (and 1955) models are the illegitimate unloved orphan members of the Forward Look family, and so here is a small mod for the 56 to make everyone (all three of us) feel warm and fuzzy, …..this is not for the ultra-stock purist!

In most cases when you get your 56 the backup light lens will be broken from the farmer helping you load your car with his fork lift tractor (whoops).

When I started looking for new lens, the only ones available where reproduction ones at $ 40.00 each, but the listing said not for wagons, and when I asked why, the answer was less than enlightening. Plan B, I remembered from a past life that an aftermarket back up light looked very similar, so out with the measuring tools and internet catalogues.

Turns out the Grote 62021 (Chrome-Plated Bezel) or 62011 (Gray Bezel) with the bezel removed was very close to the same OD as the 56 and that is what I used. ($ 26.00 pair)

I see today lens from 20.00 a pair (used) to almost $ 200.00, to late, I’m done!

My Suburban must have been the economy model; taillight lenses but no wiring or bulbs or sockets, the Grote unit comes with a base, a socket, and bulb (soon to be replaced with a LED) that with a little grinding fits right in.

I have no idea with this rather awkward picture process on how to put info above each picture so;
Pic 1. Broken oem lens
Pic 2. Old / new lens
Pic 3. Old / new lens
Pic 4. Trimming required
Pic 5. Trimming done and new mounting holes marked
Pic 6. Drilling mounting holes
Pic 7. Drilling lamp plate
Pic 8. Mounted
Pic 9 & 10 Done.

(plodge 1.jpg)

(plodge 2.jpg)

(plodge 3.jpg)

(plodge 4.jpg)

(plodge 5.jpg)

(plodge 6.jpg)

(plodge 7.jpg)

(plodge 8.jpg)

(plodge 9.jpg)

(plodge 10.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments plodge 1.jpg (81KB - 218 downloads)
Attachments plodge 2.jpg (72KB - 206 downloads)
Attachments plodge 3.jpg (64KB - 172 downloads)
Attachments plodge 4.jpg (74KB - 175 downloads)
Attachments plodge 5.jpg (55KB - 183 downloads)
Attachments plodge 6.jpg (52KB - 214 downloads)
Attachments plodge 7.jpg (83KB - 165 downloads)
Attachments plodge 8.jpg (73KB - 163 downloads)
Attachments plodge 9.jpg (73KB - 173 downloads)
Attachments plodge 10.jpg (67KB - 230 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
DepsilonD
Posted 2014-09-19 12:21 PM (#456783 - in reply to #456739)
Subject: Re: Backup light mod for 1956 Plymouth and Plodge.

Elite Veteran

Way to be crafty. I like it. As a 56 Plymouth owner, I am a little curious as to why the company that makes the reproduction lenses told you that wagons were different from the regular cars. According to the parts book, they are the same. Part No. 1648915.

Have you wired them up yet? My 56 doesn't have the reverse light option, so I was wondering if you planned on running the lights off the pushbutton mechanism or from a trans switch?

Dave
Old Ray
Posted 2014-09-19 5:59 PM (#456816 - in reply to #456783)
Subject: Re: Backup light mod for 1956 Plymouth and Plodge.

Extreme Veteran

DepsilonD - 2014-09-19 10:21 AM why the company that makes the reproduction lenses told you that wagons were different from the regular cars. if you planned on running the lights off the pushbutton mechanism or from a trans switch? Dave

Thanks Dave, I can not find that supplier again and had deleted his emails, I sent him the dimensions of mine to compare with what he had and he never answered.

I'm going to use a Trans switch.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)