The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

converting to alternator
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Electrical, Battery and ChargingMessage format

udoittwo
Posted 2014-07-27 11:10 AM (#450600)
Subject: converting to alternator

Expert

Again, my generator died on my 6 hr drive to Canada. Same as last year. Drove around the whole week on my HD marine battery. Just had to unhook the REG. and GEN. because something shorted out in there and was drawing my batt down.
I have a new 1 wire 100 AMP that I bought for my GTO and never used. I think its time to switch. The 36 AMP GEN. gave me all the power I needed but I was wondering. I haven't really started looking but at first glance, it doesn't look like anyone even sells a 60 AMP alternators anymore. Is there any harm or waste of fuel by using a larger alternator than needed? I have a couple older GM alternators from the 60s that are around 60 AMP also.
Does anyone sell a bracket or kit to convert from an old MOPAR GEN. to ALT.?
I know there is always someone that will ask why convert and tell me how there GEN works great and never gave them any issues but i would like to make it a little more dependable and easier to fix. I drive average 8000-10,000 a year on my wagon and I'm not comfortable going on long drives and not being able to fix it by simply going to a parts store. I actually have a generator repair shop fairly near by but they are not in every small town around the country anymore. My GEN. and REG. will be restored and stored away so it can still be made original if I want.
Thanks again,
Karl.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Christine'sRevenge
Posted 2014-07-27 2:12 PM (#450617 - in reply to #450600)
Subject: Re: converting to alternator

Extreme Veteran

I have a stock Generator that was converted to am Alt perfectly and professionally. Look up Don Ness Alternators. He is amazing although a bit expensive. Perfect job!!!

photo B0FF4FA4-E99A-40B4-87CA-80738E76349B_zpsikg7qtlh.jpg

Edited by Christine'sRevenge 2014-07-27 2:16 PM
jimntempe
Posted 2014-07-27 3:38 PM (#450632 - in reply to #450600)

Expert

If the old gen was keeping up with the system needs there is only one area with the higher amp alternator could cause any issue. That's the wire that goes from the alternator over to where it connects to the battery. On my car the connection is one of the terminals on the fender mounted starter relay. A really discharged battery could conceivably draw more than that wire can handle, esp when it's also providing the power for the rest of the cars regular stuff. So if you replace that one run of wire with a heavier gauge suitable for 100 amps you should be good. The rest of the electric system isn't going to draw any more amps than it did before and if those wires were ok with the gen they will be OK with the alternator. If you don't want to replace that wire you can just put a 50 amp fuse in it to prevent it from ever being asked to carry more then 50 amps.
mstrug
Posted 2014-07-27 3:57 PM (#450634 - in reply to #450600)

Expert 5K+

http://gener-nator.com/

Hello, I'm Don Allen. I am the Inventor, Designer and Manufacturer of the Gener-Nator®. I have been in the starter, alternator and generator field for over 40 years and I specialize in custom remanufacturing and change over design.

The decision to develop the Gener-Nator® stemmed from my experience with the increased failure rate of the generator and external voltage regulator when saddled with the demands of more modern automotive electrical applications, or even the original system it was designed for. Additionally I had many requests from street rodders and purists for more power from the generating system, without having to mount an alternator and take away that nostalgic look.

The Gener-Nator® is available with different capabilities: 6 Volts - 50 AMPS, 8 Volts - 55 AMPS, 12 VOLTS - 60 AMPS and 24 VOLTS - 40 AMPS. Also as negative or positive ground. All Gener-Nator®s' can provide generally 2-3 times more power than the original generator. It also enables the addition of accessories such as Stereo, Lights, Fans, AC, etc. It maintains a steady and constant volt level so you don't get the dreaded dim headlights at idle as you do with conventional generators. Because the Gener-Nator® has a built-in Electronic Voltage Regulator, it eliminates the problems associated with OE type coil operated external voltage regulators.

The Gener-Nator® looks and mounts the same as the original Generator because it is the original generator (converted internally to an alternator ) .

Having a Gener-Nator® attached to your engine is like the cherry on the sundae or a bow on a present, because it's the perfect way to blend the classic look with new age capabilities. The addition of a Gener-Nator® does not change the original appearance, which would be the case if you added a conventional alternator.

Thus the Gener-Nator® was born, a simple one step application to replace the generator system with an all alternator type system capable of meeting the high demands of today's electrical components.
mstrug
Posted 2014-07-27 4:00 PM (#450635 - in reply to #450600)

Expert 5K+

http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/catalog.php?category=145

We have two different style options for your conversion. The first is an alternator that is an early GM case and can be used with our conversion brackets. The second is Powermaster's PowerGen which is an alternator built inside a generator case. Use our application guide below to find your vehicle and click on the link for the unit you like best

Bracket for delco

http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/catalog.php?category=148
mstrug
Posted 2014-07-27 4:04 PM (#450637 - in reply to #450600)

Expert 5K+

Summit has em to:

http://www.summitracing.com/search?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrde...
rushpowersystems
Posted 2014-07-27 7:58 PM (#450684 - in reply to #450600)

Extreme Veteran

Never understood a marine battery in a car, it will not be designed for the CCA your car will need, you are better off with an AGM.

One wire alternators are a bad idea for a driver, and you are all ready wired for an alternator anyway. But first do you have an amp meter or a light? If you have an amp meter you will need to upgrade the wires in the harness or by pass the gauge, you are really pushing it at 60 amps, assuming you have the factory 36 amp. If you are going to the battery you would need at least a 12 gauge @ 100 amps and at least an 8 gauge if you have a gauge and want to use it, keep in mind it will be hard on the gauge, but then you are better off with a volt meter anyway.

If you don’t have a problem mounting your alternator to the exhaust you can use a factory brackets and a Mopar round or square back alternator. They come in “A” or “B” circuit regulation, A sends voltage to the alternator and the regulator controls the field via the ground path. B the regulator controls filed by sending voltage to the alternator and through the rotor and then to ground. The B circuit requires no wiring modification and if you get an A circuit alternator you can easily convert it to a B circuit. With the B circuit you can install a newer voltage regulator in place of the cut out and you are ready to go.

The regulator controls the field, so it will not affect anything if you have way more amps then you need. In fact it is better if you do to a point. If you have a 100 amp alternator and a 50 amp load the alternator will never work at more than 50% output, less duty cycle results in cooler running alternator and longer life. But you need to know your amp load, if you have added fans or anything else. The link is to a calculator to help you work it out, the regulator set point will be 14.5 and you will need to known the watts of you components, for example a 16” fan is around 250 watts. You could also add up all your fuses to get a total amp load.
http://rushps.com/tools.html

When Mopar switched from a generator to an alternator then went from a crank pulley that was about 6 inches to one that is about 7 inches, this is because you need to spin the alternator fast enough at idle to generate a field. The drawback of the generator is when you are at idle it is not charging, you are running off the battery. It is hard on the battery and alternator when you allow the field to collapse at an idle, you should look at increasing your crank pulley size with the amount of miles you are driving each year.
If you have your heart set on using the GM alternator, you can have the local shop convert it to a non-one wire alternator, should not cost too much. Then you run a key on wire, (by pass the factory cut out or factory regulator) and run it to the alternator regulator plug wiring, you will probably need an anti-feedback diode but the shop should have them as well.
1959Dodge
Posted 2014-07-27 10:33 PM (#450696 - in reply to #450600)

Expert

You can switch, but more than likely the set of points in the regulator that disconnects the generator from the battery when the generator is not charging, (engine off or engine running to slow to charge), has stuck closed. If this set of points (contacts) in the regulator are stuck closed, then the generator turns into a motor and will discharge the battery, and it's not great on the generator either!

It could be as simple as disconnecting the battery, remove the cover from the regulator and file the points.
There are 3 sets of points in the regulator, one is for voltage setting, one is for high current limit and the 3rd is BINGO!

It will be the biggest set of points in the regulator.

it the battery is disconnected this set of points should not be in contact with each other, so that is a quick way to tell.

Alto I likes the Alternators in my 59 & 64 Dodges, I do want to keep the 58 Chrysler "Stock", including the genny
and the genny and volt regulator have worked well in the almost one year I've had the car now.

Gary
udoittwo
Posted 2014-07-28 12:28 PM (#450740 - in reply to #450600)
Subject: RE: converting to alternator

Expert

My GEN died and I didn't realize it and it ruined my new Die-Hard to the point that it will not take a charge. I Didn't know that it was the GEN at the time and tossed in another battery and it died over night also. I was leaving for Canada the next morning and the only battery I had were the deep cycle batteries in my boat. I pulled them out and used the one for the whole week with no issues. Took along the other for a spare. I had to unhook the REG & GEN because something in that system was shorting out and killing my BATTS.
Christine'sRevenge
Posted 2014-08-01 9:14 AM (#451230 - in reply to #450617)

Extreme Veteran

Sorry the Gentlemans name is Don Allen of Gener-ator. He is amazing.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)