The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

IBK-4301A distributor (dual point)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Engine, Exhaust, Fuel and IgnitionMessage format

di_ch_NY56
Posted 2012-05-27 1:21 PM (#323123)
Subject: IBK-4301A distributor (dual point)

Expert

I checked the vacuum advance /w a manual Mityvac vacuum pump. The plate moves forth and back (when I release the vacuum). I noticed some plastic tape inside the distributor.
Today I went to my Chrysli again to check for the plastic tape. It seem its the aftermarket isolation of the ground lead wire. In my eyes it's not necessary to put an isolation to the ground lead wire... The capacitor is not an original one. The post is at the wrong side.
But there is only one point inside... and the primary lead wire is loose at the isolated terminal to the coil. I plan to bring it back to the original state. For the ground lead I would use shrinking hose if necessary.

Happy Motoring!

Dieter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9NKblCZW5Q

(DSC01606resized.JPG)

(DSC01607detail.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC01606resized.JPG (154KB - 172 downloads)
Attachments DSC01607detail.JPG (118KB - 168 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ttotired
Posted 2012-05-27 7:11 PM (#323168 - in reply to #323123)
Subject: Re: IBK-4301A distributor (dual point)

Expert 5K+

Dieter

If you insulate the ground wire, dont use heat shrink tube as it will be to stiff and restrict the movement of the advance plate.

It should not need insulating anyway.

Chrome58
Posted 2012-05-29 6:09 AM (#323338 - in reply to #323123)

Expert

Dieter,

You have a dual point IBK series distributor.
Which means that it can be easily converted to Pertronix electronic ignition !
You just have to remove the points, the condenser and bolt the thing in ... Very easy.

You need the Pertronix #1383 kit.
di_ch_NY56
Posted 2012-05-31 5:05 AM (#323774 - in reply to #323123)
Subject: RE: IBK-4301A distributor (dual point)

Expert

Thank you very much, for your answers. I just ordered a Pertronix 1383 kit. As soon as I'll get it I'll install it...

The longer I listen at the sound of the vidoes the longer it reminds me to a rev limiter like cut off (the engine never back fires as it will do when the carb is ultra lean - too lean). So it could be connected with the loose connection of the power lead - the vacuum advance is related to the engine load as well as the carburetor.

Happy Motoring!

Dieter

Edited by di_ch_NY56 2012-05-31 5:06 AM
56D500boy
Posted 2017-02-11 7:07 PM (#533785 - in reply to #323338)

Expert 5K+

Chrome58 - 2012-05-29 6:09 AM Dieter, You have a dual point IBK series distributor.
Which means that it can be easily converted to Pertronix electronic ignition !
You just have to remove the points, the condenser and bolt the thing in ... Very easy.
You need the Pertronix #1383 kit.

I've trying to diagnose a no-start condition on my 56 D500 and have it down to no spark. Checked everything out for voltage to the ballast resistor and then to the distributor. Has continuity to the outside of the distributor. Popped the distributor out and determined that it might be a ground wire. Decided to go away from the dual points - they were "cool daddy-o" in the day but that was before electronics. Did some research on previous FL discussions and decided that Pertronix was the way forward for me (MSD might be better but I don't want the extra box(es) etc) Found this old thread since it seemed to fit best for what I was looking for.

From the 55-58 Mopar Parts searchable pdf, for my D500 (Engine Number D500-4306) distributor I get:

D66, D67, D70, D71 D500, UP TO Eng. No. D500-4430 (double breaker) Autolite = IBK-4301A = Dodge PN 1642 392

My friendly local auto parts (FLAP) (Lordco) store determined that IBK-4301A should want a Pertronix 1383 Igniter.

Initially this confused me because Dave Homstad says CH 392 on this website. http://webpages.charter.net/dhomstad/D500EngineFrame1Source1.htm

When I picked up the 1383, I saw that the box also is stamped CH 392 so I guess we are on the same page.

Now to figure out their not the greatest (lots of ambiguous statements) instructions.

In the meantime, I will clean up that area of the engine and retrieve several generations of coil connection lock washers. I dropped one today, I see another one from late November and buried in oil/dirt I see an ancient one.

I have ordered the Pertronix "Flamethrower" coil but it won't be in until Tuesday (holiday Monday here)>

Edited by 56D500boy 2017-02-11 7:10 PM
56D500boy
Posted 2017-02-18 7:13 PM (#534302 - in reply to #533785)

Expert 5K+

Further on about the Pertronix 1383 and the "other number", i.e. CH 392. Probably a reference to the fact that according to Dave Homstad, the Pertronix kit was originally designed for the Chrysler 392 that came with the IBK-4301A dual point distributor, PN 1642 392 (hmmm....that 392 sure keeps coming back).

Anyway, I slowly but surely installed the Pertronix 1383 in my IBK-4301A distributor. There were complications (of course, why make it easy). The internal ground wire had broken off (or almost off and I broke it completely off disassembling the distributor). That created an issue that was solved with copper de-soldering wick, two small ring terminals (trimmed to make them even smaller), solder (and gun), pop rivets and a Dremel (to trim away the excess on the pop-rivet backing washer) and then a point file to file down the top of the pop rivet so it didn't interfer with the movement of the top plate.

Speaking of points, one if not both of the points that I removed were wet with "oil", perhaps the result of the mechanic who installed them back in September using the wrong distributor cam grease (??). Anyway, they are gone, wiped off and stored in a small labelled margarine tub complete with a photo of the top of the distributor before I started disassembly.

Since I had to remove the top and bottom plate assembly to drill out the ground strap rivet, I had to remove the vacuum advance arm (and vacuum advance can). At that point, I noticed that there was no clip on the vacuum advance connection pin. The groove was there but no clip. When I went to pick-up the Pertronix "Flamethrower" ("40,000V internal resistor (no external balast resistor)) coil, I took the plate assembly with me and got the appropriately sized "E" clip. Later at home, I turned the distributor upside down for some reason and the original tiny wire spring "D" clip fell out. I saved it and it is taped to a labelled piece of paper in the margarine tub.

When I installed the Pertronix finally yesterday afternoon, I checked the air gap. I got 45 thou with my old metal blade feeler gauge. Well within Pertronix's 5 to 60 thou range so I presumed that it would be good to literally go.

I got the distributor back together and into the engine late yesterday afternoon, but since I was getting tired (old guy, heart patient, ) I stopped and finished the install wiring today after lunch. A bit of putzing and fussing because of the coil bracket issue (subject of another thread) but eventually got it all connected, double checked and tools out of the engine bay. With a bit of a sigh I sat in the drivers seat and turned the key. Started right off, no extra cranking just like Dave Homstad had suggested to me it would. Yip-Fn-EEeee. Sounds real good, probably better than it has since I got the car started for the first time on November 11th. No minor misses like it had before (so there probably was issues with the dual points for awhile). The new exhaust definitely is NOT demure. It will grab attention (hopefully not too much).

So...I will carry the dual points stuff with me but I also purchased another new-in-the-box (NIB) Pertronix 1383 kit from John Kunkel. AND...don't ask me why but, I found a NIB NOS (supposedly) 1642392 IBK-4301A last night on ebay while looking for a spare distributor (saw lots of dogs for less money, but thankfully they were already sold). I checked all the sources I knew of and nobody had one so bought it this morning and I paid the stupid price. (a bit insane).

That said. I don't think that I will have any unsolvable ignition problems in the future.

THIS:

Edited by 56D500boy 2017-02-18 7:47 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)