The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Spectra Chrome
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> General Technical Discussion and TroubleshootingMessage format

Knighty
Posted 2011-02-22 5:50 AM (#261958 - in reply to #257440)
Subject: Re: Spectra Chrome

Extreme Veteran

HI Guys,

I can add some info for you. I own a business in Victoria, Australia called "ChromeFX" www.chromefx.com.au
yes same as Alsa Corp. I bought the spray chrome system. to clarify its not a painted silver. yes you paint the bascoat and the clearcoat but the silver is actually applied with distilled water which acts as a carrier for the silver. You cannot co and buy the stuff off the shelf or paint it with a normal spray gun. the process is very precise. you also need to bake the basecoat. you also need a booth to apply the basecoat and top coat. In my opinion and I sell the service to many customers
if you want a top quality show car, then get real chrome. if you want the next best thing this is it. I wouldn't go and paint a bumper as it will chip like factory paint. the clear is hard but will still chip. interior stuff and badges not worries. engine compartment stuff ok, rocker covers probably not. While i'm still learning the chrome coating trade its really getting there.
yellowing issues are gone, and most of the time, user fault. I can tell you its a very precise process and if you stuff it up at any stage ( 3 stages ) you start right back at the start. not like normal spraying you can rub it out and keep going.
Bascially as some of you said, repair the part or item as you would to paint it normally, then final rub wet with 1200
very smooth. then in the chrome coating, you paint a basecoat on the item. one heavy coat. it floods out and evens out really shiny and flat. you have to bake the item at 140 for 2 hours. then you mix your chemicals with the distilled water and spray on the item. what it on youtube its running off the part - the stuff is 90% water. rinse, blow dry, the heat for 1/2 hr to make sure part is really dry. then you clearcoat the item and add colour with tinters if you want coloured chrome.
The Orange peel is usually from, the part not rubbed super flat first off. the basecoat not flat enough or the top coat to heavy.

yep I have dulled the process down but i'm a signmaker / painter and i'm telling you its not as easy as it sounds. but some of the results I have got, they look awesome. As its a side line for me I usually turn parts around in 2 weeks.

I have done a football boot, helmet, car parts, horse bits ( for show only ), roll cage, and some dash fascias. I even did a 1934 hotrod grill and a full grill and bumper from a FC holden ute. so if you have trouble finding someone, go to my website and email me a photo and I can price it for you. or even if you want to ask me more questions go for it. I plan to do my plymouth grill and interior parts when i'm up to that stage but dont need the bumpers done as they are already chrome.
so if you can afford the real deal do it it is the best but the alternative is very good.

knighty

Top of the page Bottom of the page
MOPAR-TO-YA
Posted 2011-02-24 1:41 AM (#262207 - in reply to #254136)
Subject: RE: Spectra Chrome

Expert 5K+

Tim, thank you very much for inside info we can trust--no hype. I have researched several sources on this system- the more I read, the more confusing. Evedently there are more than one systens. I had never seen that a heating is needed- probably makes a difference in quality work. Did you get your system from Spectra Chrome out of Florida? Not that I would want to start up doing it, but would like to find a dealer near me that can do it right. . I need plastic dash parts done . Thanks, you can PM me if you would rather...............MO
Knighty
Posted 2011-02-24 1:52 AM (#262208 - in reply to #262207)

Extreme Veteran

HI Steve,

I bought the system from Alsa went to LA and got training and wil be going back in April this year to follow up. I bought the system
to expand our sign business. and obviously do some of my own in the process. I can ask Alsa who does it in your area but
at this stage I couldn't tell you. There is about 3 companies that are the suppliers of the system. Alsa, Spectra Chrome, Gold touch.
I'm in no position to say either way which is best as I have only bought the Alsa system. But my initial research is the way the process is
are the same. chemical ratios, basecoats and clears would be there own i'm sure but thats all I know. and Yes to speed up the chroming process
baking is a must. for example if you dropped off a price to me at 7am when I start work the paret would be basecoated, chromed and cleared by 3pm
( not working on it the whole time, maybe 30mins total ) you could pickup and be gentle with it the next morning. so it happens pretty quick.
the setup time, backtime, washup time is the time consuming bit, reason I batch most stuff up. Its not worth the money just to do you project say, or as a hobby.
lot of wasted time getting it sorted. but if you wanted to start up a small business on the side with many contacts it would work for sure.
I will ask Alsa who they recommend and get back to you. There are some other chrome options, one is called vacuum chroming, maybe goggle it.
no idea what it costs, but it looks awesome on plastic.

knighty

61plymy
Posted 2011-02-24 1:15 PM (#262252 - in reply to #254136)

Expert

That's all I want it for too, Steve; interior pieces that were originally vacuum deposited aluminum as faux-chrome would look better in the newer spray-on chrome.

The only thing I'd be concerned with is like when the gauge face is done on clear plastic, the basecoat would be visible at the edges inside the face. Maybe a suitable paint color laid down first with the basecoat over that and then the silvering and clear. The first coat could be maybe a spray can silver or something to disguise it all.

There may be some places outside the car it is suitable for, but there would be many places it shouldn't be used on the exterior. Tim, you may know this, not sure, but one of the competing systems puts up the baking need of the Alsa system as a drawback and point out that their system doesn't require it. I've also seen several threads on other boards that the Alsa system chips and peels easier than it's competitors; and video tests are done to show it in a direct comparison. I do know that Alsa has apparently reformulated a few times in an attempt to address some of these issues.

Please don't think I am disparaging Alsa. Theirs was the first such system commercially available and undoubtedly there would be issues arise over time that could not have been known. I'm still interested in finding someone locally who offers the service, but so far have not found a source.

Mike
Knighty
Posted 2011-02-24 3:40 PM (#262279 - in reply to #262252)

Extreme Veteran

HI Mike,

Not sure I follow you in the guage face. Any paints put down before must be 2PAK compatible not a pressure pack can.
any 2PAKs over other 2PAKs can cause issues.
I probably told you the incorrect info. you don't have to bake the basecoat it will dry in 24hrs, but if you want it chromed in the same day you do.
the drying time is important as it has to be 24hrs at normal temperature, cooler temps will be 48hrs. so you don't need to bake it , it just speeds up the process.
Before I bought the alsa system I got some parts done by a spectra chrome company. the stuff they did and what I do they can both chip off the same.
it is mostly paint not raw metal, so if you dig at it it can chip. it passes the adhesion tests which is cutting the face with a exacto blade I think you call them
cross hatch then apply masking tape and then rip off. my advice go spray chrome for exterior diecast, trim, headlight trims, no worries.
if your part is already stainless repair & polish it, if its a bumper electroplate it.

I know all systems have had issues, I had read people have bought all three main systems and go with Cosmichrome( the 3rd one ). The best offer I give to my customers is if it fails
I will fix it or give a refund. at this point I have offered a discount to stuff i;m not over happy with ( not perfect) and they take that option everytime so the result can't be to bad.

just ask any supplier what happens if some fails what there stand on it is. then go by your gut. will ask alsa who they recommend anyway

knighty

Wayne C.
Posted 2011-03-08 4:45 PM (#263955 - in reply to #257440)

Regular

Hey fellows. I finally got the pieces I sent off for the Spectra Chrome spray process, and this is my opinion of the results. If you want
chrome for a show car I don't think you would be satisfied with this system. If you are like me and doing a car on a budget I think it looks pretty good. Just looking from a few feet away I can't tell the difference. I also think it would be great for the knobs and bezels inside the car. For the price, compared to having the pot metal re plated I an well satisfied.

I will post below one of the mirrors before prepping it and another picture of the mirror after spraying.

(57 dodge.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 57 dodge.JPG (154KB - 644 downloads)
Wayne C.
Posted 2011-03-08 4:48 PM (#263956 - in reply to #263955)

Regular

Finished product

(mirrows 003.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments mirrows 003.JPG (229KB - 864 downloads)
Knighty
Posted 2011-03-08 4:58 PM (#263957 - in reply to #263956)

Extreme Veteran

HI Wayne,

from a guy who is a Fellow car restorer and also a new Chrome FX applier, agree exactly with what you are saying.
they come up nice, can I ask and if you don;t want to say thats ok.
what did it cost to chrome coat the 4 items? did you do any prep work yourself?

tim

ttotired
Posted 2011-03-08 5:47 PM (#263975 - in reply to #254136)

Expert 5K+

Hi Wayne

They look good

Sort of looks like polished aluminium.

I am interested in the cost as well.

I saw the prep work you did.

Seeing what you started with, I think its great, I would have concidered scrapping that mirror

Mick
Wayne C.
Posted 2011-03-08 6:59 PM (#263983 - in reply to #263957)

Regular

Tim, I paid $214.00 for six pieces and I did the prep work myself. The two mirrors, two pieces of hood ornament and two small connectors for the eyebrow molding.
Knighty
Posted 2011-03-08 7:00 PM (#263984 - in reply to #263983)

Extreme Veteran

HI Wayne

thats a good price. I would have thought it would be more like $ 300-$350

tim
Wayne C.
Posted 2011-03-08 7:07 PM (#263985 - in reply to #263975)

Regular

Thanks Mick. If I had it to do over I would have tossed the mirrors too. I could have found some a lot better on eBay.

Wayne
MOPAR-TO-YA
Posted 2011-03-09 1:52 AM (#264025 - in reply to #263985)

Expert 5K+

Thanks Wayne, I was hopeing you would report back. Until I can see this chrome paint in person, I will hesitate painting exterior pieces. However I think it looks very good for doing dash plastic and other interior parts. I have found a vendor for this process about 120 miles from me. He says to take a picture of the parts with a tape measure beside it and he will give a price quote. It will be a while, but I will give a report of what I find out...........................MO

BTW wayne, what all did you have to do to get that mirror prepped?

Edited by MOPAR-TO-YA 2011-03-09 1:55 AM
ttotired
Posted 2011-03-09 2:34 AM (#264026 - in reply to #254136)

Expert 5K+

I was just having a close look at those parts and I was thinking with the mirrors more then the bonnet emblem, but how do you think they would
look tinted to close to the color of the car eg red or blue whatever

I recon they would be a talking point at a car show

Mick
Wayne C.
Posted 2011-03-09 8:35 PM (#264110 - in reply to #264025)

Regular

MO-PAR-To-Ya, I first sandblasted the parts and then used a 3M deburring wheel on them. After that I filled all the pits and rough area with evercoat bondo. I then used self etching primer on the first coat ( on the metal) after that I used several coats of catalyzed primer sanding to 600 grit between coats. On the last coat I sanded to 12O0 grit. They want as slick and smooth as possible, but nothing over 1200 grit.
MOPAR-TO-YA
Posted 2011-03-10 3:08 AM (#264135 - in reply to #264110)

Expert 5K+

Wayne C. - 2011-03-09 7:35 PM

MO-PAR-To-Ya, I first sandblasted the parts and then used a 3M deburring wheel on them. After that I filled all the pits and rough area with evercoat bondo. I then used self etching primer on the first coat ( on the metal) after that I used several coats of catalyzed primer sanding to 600 grit between coats. On the last coat I sanded to 12O0 grit. They want as slick and smooth as possible, but nothing over 1200 grit.
You did a great job--must have a lot of patience 8-) .......MO
Twin Fins
Posted 2011-03-14 5:49 PM (#264618 - in reply to #264135)

Veteran

I'm looking into having the plastic dash parts redone on my '64 Plymouth. Would I have them done with the spray-on stuff or vacuum metalized. Anyone know what process was originally done on these cars?
56Fanatic
Posted 2011-03-14 7:53 PM (#264643 - in reply to #254136)

Expert

I would bet dollars to donuts that they were originally vacuum plated.

Loyd
Shoeless Joe
Posted 2012-08-14 7:13 PM (#334621 - in reply to #254136)

New User

You are all missing the point of the spectra chrome. Yes, you can spray rims and bumpers. You can use spectra chrome on a million other things as well. If you can paint it, you can spray it with spectra chrome. You can use SC(spectra chrome) on things you wouldn't have been able to chrome before. And the chrome can be tinted a color. Think about fairings on a motorcycle. snow mobile bodies, parts on a boat or waverunner! Think outside of bumpers and rims. I bet some of you hillbillies would like a chrome or green chrome john deere! Anything! Gary Watson, of Creations n' Chrome, is the proof you need to see the real deal. He is constructing an empire due to how well Spectra chrome works! Google him or check out his website at http://www.creationsnchrome.com/ And by the way, Real chrome bumpers do scratch.

Joey
ttotired
Posted 2012-08-14 7:40 PM (#334624 - in reply to #254136)

Expert 5K+

No point missed Joey

We were comparing painted chrome to real chrome and by what was seen, its not bad,but its not chrome.

Personally, I thought the parts that Wayne got done were a bit pricey concidering he did all the prep work.

I am still thinking about wether or not to buy a kit to do it (I have something I would like to use it on, but I dont want to ship it anywhere).

The Mercedes F1 cars that are painted with it look good.

About chrome getting scratched, of coarse it can be scratched, anything can if you try hard enough, but chrome is much harder (tougher) than paint.

Knighty
Posted 2012-08-14 7:53 PM (#334629 - in reply to #334624)

Extreme Veteran

HI Guys,

I have tried both and I can tell you coming form a guy who bought the chrome kit to the real thing, dont buy it.

No matter how good finish, its not the same, in look, feel and hardness. But to spray chrome defence, if its a price thing then I would go that way
but expect it not to be as good as chrome. I bought the unit to try and make a business from it. it failed. I was going to do my grill, etc and glad I didn't

so my advice is.
ask the provider what guarantee they provide. Ask to see samples of what they have done. get a price
compare the price to rechroming. then make your decision. Yes the spray chrome does look good but dont compare it to vacuum or electroplating
as its not as good as that.

my issues were the clear pealing, the chrome fading and some items slight peel, slight yellow tinge.
I have the spray chrome unit gathering dust in my shop and i'm one of many people who were promised a lot and didn't get it.
as technology progresses it may get there but not at this point I believe. Honestly I think its fine for decorative indoor or short term outdoor stuff.

I ended up having my grill, eyebrows, headlight trim, rear tailight housings and front hood trim all chrome dipped
as a company can do this over aluminium products and its actually made the items heavier, it has real metal on there
but its expensive

knighty

(photo.JPG)

(photo2.JPG)

(photo3.JPG)

(photo4.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments photo.JPG (104KB - 449 downloads)
Attachments photo2.JPG (85KB - 422 downloads)
Attachments photo3.JPG (106KB - 421 downloads)
Attachments photo4.JPG (94KB - 420 downloads)
bel5758
Posted 2012-08-15 9:09 AM (#334706 - in reply to #254136)

Elite Veteran

Knighty - I'm considering chroming the exact same pieces you did.

If not too inconvenient, can you post pics of them after installation and you thoughts on the before/after of how they look?

I'm particularly interested in how the tail light towers look and if you had any trouble with re-install due to the extra thickness....

I'm guessing not, and hoping not....I don't think the tolerances are so small on my Belv that it would matter. Thanks.
Knighty
Posted 2012-08-15 5:01 PM (#334751 - in reply to #334706)

Extreme Veteran

Hey Allen,

I will take some photos for sure. I can tell you right from the get go, they look bloody awesome.
better than I had expected. The work these guys did is unreal. All the parts now look like steel chromed
probably not the look if your going for a concourse as its much brighter than the anodised trim but thats what I wanted.
The grill, etc look like the polished lower stainless bars. no trouble fitting, they are snug, but my car was a 57 so all the bars i'm fitting
only had a dry fit and check before chroming.

knighty

Edited by Knighty 2012-08-15 5:14 PM
Christine'sRevenge
Posted 2012-08-15 7:09 PM (#334764 - in reply to #334751)

Extreme Veteran

Question Folk's.... While on the way to Carlisle I decided to drop off ALL my 58 Fury Chrome. We all know, there is not lot's of Chrome, however Anondized Alluminum. I was recommended to LiBrandi's Chrome Plating in Middletown, PA(Harrisburg A/P area) where I had to leave the Chrome to be inspected and receive an estimate. Ok, sounded great so that's what I did. My Chrome was from my 60K orig mile Arizona 58 in which the Chrome was in driver quality with no dent's, rust, pitting or anything else on any part I dropped off. Well.........

I received a call 3 week's later and was told the estimate was $12,300.00 plus tax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I asked them if they had the correct order, Person and amount of boxes I left? The Owner said it was my Part's in 4 small/Med Boxes, interior moulding's and Bumper Wing's. I asked what is up with that price and he said sorry that's what it cost's.....
I was stunned, now Friday returning to the shop to retrieve my Chrome.

Does that price sound crazy to you Folk's???????

Thanks, Joe C NY
Knighty
Posted 2012-08-15 7:22 PM (#334766 - in reply to #334764)

Extreme Veteran

HI joe,

this is what I have spent.

Headlight eyebrows x 2, bezels x 2, grillx 2 halves, rear tailight housings x 2. tailight extensions ( small x 2 ), front hood strip x 1 - these where all anodised
and had chrome coated - cost $ 1900

Chrome plating of guage surround x 1, interior trim x 14 items I think, horn ring, radio plate, radio plate and others - $2500

All sportone and window stainless being repaired and polished - esitmate $ 1000

so your quote is BS to me

knighty
bel5758
Posted 2012-08-16 9:23 AM (#334826 - in reply to #334766)

Elite Veteran

Uh....yeah, Joe, that's freakin insane; based on what Knighty spent and - there are a dozens of chrome shops around the country that do stuff for big rigs - no way they could stay in business if chroming 'actually' cost that much.

I sense you took your stuff to someone who specializes in high end customers and their high end wallets.

Looking forward to the pics Knighty.

My car is not a concours type of girl, and I'm not concours type of guy, so can't wait to see your pics.

I'm also not drop dead rich, so I'll avoid Joe's chrome shop.

Red, white, and chrome...does it get any better than that?
Knighty
Posted 2012-08-20 2:37 AM (#335384 - in reply to #334826)

Extreme Veteran

These aluminium parts I had Chrome plated. They are heavy than before so its real metal.
they look as good if not better than the polished stainless. Doesn't really match the factory
anodised if thats what your after but for $ 1900 they are awesome, which includes repairs.

so 1 x grill, 2 x headlight bezels, 2 x headlight eyebrows, 1 x hood strip, 2 x taillight housings, 2 x tailight inserts.

these are no spray chrome, these are actually electroplated.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Edited by Knighty 2012-08-20 2:41 AM
62max
Posted 2020-08-16 8:57 AM (#602113 - in reply to #254136)

New User

can you help with a problem with spectra crome turning gold after about 8 mouths ?Was nice crome while in storage after installing on vehicle it turned gold.
mikes2nd
Posted 2020-08-16 3:26 PM (#602130 - in reply to #254136)

Expert 5K+

See if the guy will reshoot it under warranty?... This is a known issue with Spectra chrome, garbage product.

Cosmi Chrome is the way to go...
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)