The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

oil pressure line for 57 Dodge Custom Royal ?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> General Technical Discussion and TroubleshootingMessage format

57trouble
Posted 2010-09-21 8:42 PM (#242234)
Subject: oil pressure line for 57 Dodge Custom Royal ?

We are having trouble finding a replacement oil pressure line for our 1957 Dodge Custom Royal. We purchased a new manufacture hose from Atlas and it leaked like a sieve from the guage end. I don't think the flare end of the nut was bottoming out against the guage and sealing. Then we bought 2 manufacture lines from a Mars Auto Parts ( a brake mfg. company). Instead of having 1 flared fitting that connects to the oil guage, there were 1 flared fitting that went into the back of the guage and another flared fitting that connected to the oil line itself, inbetween the 2 flared fittings was an 1 inch piece of metal brake line that connected all of this mess together. When the fitting was tightened on the guage end it would back off on the hose and visa versa, until the flare was finally ruined and would not seal. Our orginal hose only had 1 flared fitting that screwed into the back of the oil guage and the other end of the hose connects to the engine. Our problem seems to be that the threads on the flare piece are either not long enough on the unit from Atlas, and on the pieces from Mars the fittings just don't tighten and then seal to the guage. My husband is really mad and is threatening to sell the car!! We usually have to do everything 3 times before we get it right on it and we do laugh that the car is haunted/cursed. Any and all help is greatly appreciated and we look forward to answers and suggestions.

Thanks to Everyone

p.s.
She looks awesome sitting in the garage!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
BigBlockMopar
Posted 2010-09-22 7:39 AM (#242302 - in reply to #242234)
Subject: Re: oil pressure line for 57 Dodge Custom Royal ?

Expert

For the time being, while you try to find a suitable replacement hose, one could just put a plug into the block so you can at least drive the car.
I would think any hydraulic shop should be able to copy the original pressure hose with the correct fittings.
hullinger
Posted 2010-09-22 9:07 AM (#242315 - in reply to #242234)
Subject: RE: oil pressure line for 57 Dodge Custom Royal ?

Elite Veteran

I remember about 4 years ago, getting a leak in that oil pressure hose on my '58 Coronet. Just like Herman said, I screwed in a plug at the block so I could drive the car than sent my hose out to a hose company in Wisconsin (IIRC). They reused the fitting at the gauge and brazed it onto a new hose. Since that company did a lot with high pressure hydraulics, they used a hose spec'd for much greater pressure than my Dodge could ever produce. Total cost was something like $120. It was steep but it was also the only option I could find. I'm sure any local hydraulics company can do the same.

Chris
57trouble
Posted 2010-09-22 10:59 PM (#242415 - in reply to #242315)

Thanks for the tips. We contacted a local hydraulic company and they said they could not reproduce the part. We will try contacting IIRC in Wisconsin next. Now, I have another question. I am a novice to the computer, and I really like how the pictures of the cars are by the usernames. How can I attatch a picture of our car? Is this ok to ask this question here ? She is a beauty and I would like to show her off, even if she is only sitting in the garage. lol

Nancy
sparky7
Posted 2010-09-23 1:02 AM (#242425 - in reply to #242415)

Elite Veteran

Nancy,

Welcome! I think Chris used "IIRC" as the accepted shorthand for "If I Recall Correctly" although come to think of it that might be a good name for a company that reproduces old parts! Hopefully Chris or someone else will be able to narrow down your search for the Wisconsin shop.

Sparky
57trouble
Posted 2010-09-26 4:41 PM (#243051 - in reply to #242425)

Hi Sparky,
Thanks for the head's up on the terminology. I too, think that would be a great name for a parts company. LOL We are still searching for someone to make our oil line, we have 2 more sources locally and then we will have to expand our search. I think this web site will prove invaluable to us, especially if we ever get our laptop figured out. Thanks again, happiness on the road.
Nancy
mikes2nd
Posted 2020-08-26 10:45 PM (#602616 - in reply to #242234)

Expert 5K+

I bought a 57 dodge hose from moparmall... i cant plug it into the block... its needs a male npt.. 1/4 inch

I dont remember a block having a 1/4 inch compression fitting but who knows...

I am going to plug this into my block and see if I can get my hose connected....

i am adding this on the block... i hope it works... if not ill have to run a tiny brake line...

(032888203600 (1).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 032888203600 (1).jpg (99KB - 187 downloads)
mikes2nd
Posted 2020-08-26 10:49 PM (#602617 - in reply to #242234)

Expert 5K+

i dont think this adapter will work and I will need to run a mini brake line... and get a compression fitting adapter to 1/4 inch npt adapter..
dels56
Posted 2020-09-05 11:20 PM (#602947 - in reply to #242234)

Extreme Veteran

I used a grease gun whip hose as the flexible portion of the line. The fitting in the block should be 1/8” or 1/4” female pipe thread to female 3/16” female inverted flare. Use a short 3/16 brake line long enough to go through the firewall. Connect the whip hose with a brass adapter coupler 1/8 f/m npt to 3/16 f/m inverted flare. At the gauge end, use another 1/8 x 3/16 coupler on that end of the hose. Now, hoping you still have the original oil line, cut the line and reuse the male nut that goes into the gauge with a new compression sleeve (ferrel) and a length of 3/16 brake line with a flare on the whip hose end. The original ferrel May look different but a standard compression sleeve works just fine. Sorry I don’t have a photo to attach. I hope this make sense.
Del S
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)